Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Add together the patient contribution and that which is paid to the dentist. i.e., the full cost (to the government) of the dental appliance.
In Scotland you seem to say the patient pays no nhs contribution, so, the full cost of the particular dental appliance paid by the government to the dentist.

How would adding a contribution made to the government to a payment from the government give you a full cost?

You would need t subtract the contribution from the payment and even then that is inaccurate as the contribution covers other items such as exam, radiographs, any fillings, extractions, root treatments etc.

In Scotland, it is only currently that the fee is waived for the patient; normally they pay 80% of the NHS charge for that item of service (like it used to be decades ago in England)

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
How would adding a contribution made to the government to a payment from the government give you a full cost?

You would need t subtract the contribution from the payment and even then that is inaccurate as the contribution covers other items such as exam, radiographs, any fillings, extractions, root treatments etc.

In Scotland, it is only currently that the fee is waived for the patient; normally they pay 80% of the NHS charge for that item of service (like it used to be decades ago in England)
Years ago (south of the border) and before UDAs, I seem to remember dentists received £89 for an NHS bonded ceramic crown, and the patient paid the dentist £3.
The total cost for the patient to see (had there been an Origin of Manufacture Declaration, with the total cost declared, as I now suggest), would have been £92.
Still speaking as an NHS patient, I would like to see the money available for NHS dentistry, spread more evenly, to also include a Band 4, so to include an implant for a single tooth. Those patients who might expect 2 or 3 anterior implants under NHS for cosmetic reasons, (if accepted by the DEB) would then have to pay the Band 4 contribution for each and every (implant) tooth.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
When I go next again as an OAP NHS patient to a dentist, obviously my temperature will be taken and I will not be accepted if I am at all suspected of having (or have had) the virus. Perhaps I have attended because the natural side a back tooth molar has broken away from a earlier front to back amalgam trench filling. I cannot therefore see why the emergency treatment cannot include AGP aerosol generated procedures, because I have already been checked by the dental surgery.
If dentists haven't by now (6 months on since first lockdown in February) installed air extraction units which can be rotated to be positioned close to the patients mouth, so AGP's can continue. Then what have they been doing?

If dentists haven't by now (6 months on since first lockdown in February) installed air extraction units which can be rotated to be positioned close to the patients mouth, so AGP's can continue. Then what have they been doing?
No idea. Why don't you ask them?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

If you can highlight such a unit which is clinically practical, hygienic, can be safely decontaminated, where it will exhaust safely, will not interfere with access to the mouth, is patient friendly, can fit around dentist and nurse accessing mouth, and is affordable then feel free to post a link.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
If you can highlight such a unit which is clinically practical, hygienic, can be safely decontaminated, where it will exhaust safely, will not interfere with access to the mouth, is patient friendly, can fit around dentist and nurse accessing mouth, and is affordable then feel free to post a link.
Somebody will hopefully invent such a device, doesn't have to fit around the dentist, just be on the opposite side of patients mouth, to the side the dentist is working?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Somebody will hopefully invent such a device, doesn't have to fit around the dentist, just be on the opposite side of patients mouth, to the side the dentist is working?

So you are admitting that the device you wanted dentists to have installed has not yet been invented!

And want it placed where the nurse stands!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Here's the latest paper on AGPs in Dentistry

Here's the latest paper on AGPs in Dentistry
What are you doing bringing facts into this, on a Friday of all days?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
So you are admitting that the device you wanted dentists to have installed has not yet been invented!

And want it placed where the nurse stands
Whenever I have been laid out in the dentists chair, there seems plenty of room opposite the dentist where the nurse stands with the hook over suction tube aspirator. A new designed mobile air extractor might have the nurse standing next to something like R2-D2?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Whenever I have been laid out in the dentists chair, there seems plenty of room opposite the dentist where the nurse stands with the hook over suction tube aspirator. A new designed mobile air extractor might have the nurse standing next to something like R2-D2?

The only thing similar to your suggestion currently available would be the laminar air flow systems in some operating theatres.

However the portable versions suck and filter air before blowing it over the operating site thus preventing dust and nonsterile material landing on it. However it would create a fine aerosol in the rest of the room for any operators to be exposed to.

To reverse the process and have the device suck does not create the laminar flow.

Even the portable devices are large.