Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I must say that for a man in his late 80s* that you seem very well informed about the intricacies of modern dentistry.
Not 'late' 80s, and I find my interest in dentistry is something we probably all have, once having been in a lifetime job. Now it has become hobby, and I just feel dental laboratories have generally been let down.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Dentures is dentures, if a patient wants nhs, then we old folk, who have worked continously thoughout our working days and always paid a weekly employment contribution (stamp) should have as a right access (in old age) to nhs dental services, including dentures, crowns etc.

Of course you should, that wasn't my point, rather that some dentists offset the cost to themselves in terms of UDAs by doing some procedures, for some patients, privately.

Not 'late' 80s, and I find my interest in dentistry is something we probably all have, once having been in a lifetime job. Now it has become hobby, and I just feel dental laboratories have generally been let down.
A lifetime job? What happened to being an Air Despatcher in Oman, a Para at Goose Green, joining the SAS and being one of 'Maurice's Boys' in Ulster?

Forget posting on here - get it down in a book, sell the film rights and give us all a proper laugh.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Of course you should, that wasn't my point, rather that some dentists offset the cost to themselves in terms of UDAs by doing some procedures, for some patients, privately.
Crumbs,....Band3, patient pays £269 and nhs full/full dentures leave the laboratory at around £150.00 (guesswork on my part) by now, the 12 UDAs units of dental activity, have to be offset as not enough?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
A lifetime job? What happened to being an Air Despatcher in Oman, a Para at Goose Green, joining the SAS and being one of 'Maurice's Boys' in Ulster?

Forget posting on here - get it down in a book, sell the film rights and give us all a proper laugh.
I started this thread as 'Current Affairs', forget the forum 'Health and Fitness....'Maurice's Boys?' were you one of Bevan's Boys?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

And taking a pride in not being able to spell?

Hmm....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Crumbs,....Band3, patient pays £269 and nhs full/full dentures leave the laboratory at around £150.00 (guesswork on my part) by now, the 12 UDAs units of dental activity, have to be offset as not enough?

What the patient pays in England is completely irrelevant to what the dentist receives due to the UDA system.

And UDAs vary widely according to contract.

(For the non dental readers, UDA are Unit Dental Activity in England. Dentist contracts with local health boards for amount of UDAs to be completed in a year and how much they are paid per UDA. Each type of treatment then is classed as so many UDAs)

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
What the patient pays in England is completely irrelevant to what the dentist receives due to the UDA system.

And UDAs vary widely according to contract.

(For the non dental readers, UDA are Unit Dental Activity in England. Dentist contracts with local health boards for amount of UDAs to be completed in a year and how much they are paid per UDA. Each type of treatment then is classed as so many UDAs)
It just seems to me and IMO, nhs dentistry pricing needs to be more transparent for patients to understand. Once we as patients receive a 'Patient Statement' MDR, then perhaps also, along with the technician who made the appliance, the form might note the total cost to nhs (Dental Estimates Board, as it was years ago)?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It just seems to me and IMO, nhs dentistry pricing needs to be more transparent for patients to understand. Once we as patients receive a 'Patient Statement' MDR, then perhaps also, along with the technician who made the appliance, the form might note the total cost to nhs (Dental Estimates Board, as it was years ago?

It's very transport in England for NHS.

There's only 3 different charges for patients.

How much more simple than that do you want?

NHS dental charges

There are 3 NHS charge bands:

Band 1: £22.70

Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £62.10

Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

Band 3: £269.30

Covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

I quite like my dentist. The whole experience has been quite good. This is an NHS dentist, set in a little house in Hampshire. One of the female receptionists is quite big, and has to squeeze in with another lass. Small houses don’t adapt so good.
My dentist is Romanian; she is no nonsense. Teeth counted, and out. Did hygienist once, got the tips. Thanks.
During the covid thing they have been excellent at keeping us all up to date. Top marks.
Part of Mrs’ tooth fell out today, so fun times ahead...

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
It's very transport in England for NHS.

There's only 3 different charges for patients.

How much more simple than that do you want?

NHS dental charges

There are 3 NHS charge bands:

Band 1: £22.70

Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Band 2: £62.10

Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).

Band 3: £269.30

Covers all treatment included in Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.
No... the total cost! (paid by government, including patient contribution). If the MDR Statement has this nhs pricing, then the difference between what is classed as private would be obvious.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No... the total cost! (paid by government, including patient contribution). If the MDR Statement has this nhs pricing, then the difference between what is classed as private would be obvious.

Have no idea what you mean.

As above, the total cost to the patient in England can only be one of three prices.

The patient contribution goes to the Government, not to the dentist.

I went to the dentist about 3 weeks ago. They seemed surprised to have a punter. I'd had some niggles and thought best I go. All was fine after 4 x-rays without gonad protection.

Then I got gout.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I went to the dentist about 3 weeks ago. They seemed surprised to have a punter. I'd had some niggles and thought best I go. All was fine after 4 x-rays without gonad protection.

Then I got gout.

Not used lead aprons for years.

There is a debate about thyroid collars though.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Well there you are, all still here. I've just had a break to watch 'Van Der Valk', a TV weekly drama I like to watch with Mrs K every Friday evening. A good line in it tonight "Why don't you go back to bed, or you'll catch a death!" This thread seems to me to be dead, so I'm back off to the 'Scottish Politics' thread where replies to my question, gave me the idea to start this forum.
Scottish Politics, I'm fed up seeing her on TV, or listening to her, perhaps she might do a TM and dance on TV?

Latest Threads