Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whilst on the forum 'Scottish Politics' thread a while ago, I answered Fangs question... 'Guess what I am doing the day'. My reply,... Was it 80% of nhs pay for 20% dental activity in Scotland? The answer came back 'average of 80%'.
Now I can understand the amount of time to prepare a dental surgery between patients, but IMO some dentists are ignoring the plight of dental laboratories, as if the laboratories can wait indefinitely, receiving a small amount of work (perhaps a denture repair once a week), whilst they each as dental technicians (dental care professionals)( so described as members of the dental team) have to pay their individual ARF to the GDC due in August. And with the very expensive equipment needed by a dental laboratory to provide a full service to dentists (nhs and 'private') many laboratory owners (who don't get paid direct for nhs appliances) must surely have large loans to service. IMO dentists might help by taking impressions for dentures and crowns, so to help keep laboratories running.
As advertising slogans go.... when they are gone, they are gone!
I guess you go to the beach wearing strap across leather sandals with your socks still on! Fish and chips in your hand munching as you walk.
Sorry to shatter your illusions old boy but I don't possess a pair of sandals! As for socks I have to wear heavy ones inside my safety boots during the day and, for that reason, tend to do without them when I can.

At the seaside I would definitely munch fish and chips as I walked along the promenade so you're right. Do you munch fish and chips or are they bad for your teeth?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
"...no requirement for multiple very expensive stuff...."!
Even the orthodontic dental laboratory now needs a 3D CAD printer for 'arch' reference models, to suit those dentist clients who take digital impressions.

Before, 'study models' would be cast in plaster and trimmed on the grinder. (equipment required, rubber bowl, spatula and model trimmer- cost £250).

Now, if the laboratory doesn't have CAD (cost £6000+), the digital impressions for reference models, might well go elsewhere, along with the following order for appliance/s.

All of this, and other expensive equipment, like 'press' ceramics, with a completely new range of ceramics (once again) to suit all shades, now mainly idle, yet loans have to be serviced.

Years ago, we received alginates from the Brompton, later there was the AIDs scare, laboratories can cope, and have done so, by simply soaking impressions before casting, in a strong disinfectant overnight.

Last edited:

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
"...no requirement for multiple very expensive stuff...."!
Even the orthodontic dental laboratory now needs a 3D CAD printer for 'arch' reference models, to suit those dentist clients who take digital impressions. Before, 'study models' would be cast in plaster and trimmed on the grinder. (equipment required, rubber bowl, spatula and model trimmer- cost £250). Now, if the laboratory doesn't have CAD (cost £6000+), the digital impression/s for reference models, might well go elsewhere, along with the order for appliance/s
Who are you quoting?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Sorry to shatter your illusions old boy but I don't possess a pair of sandals! As for socks I have to wear heavy ones inside my safety boots during the day and, for that reason, tend to do without them when I can.

At the seaside I would definitely munch fish and chips as I walked along the promenade so you're right. Do you munch fish and chips or are they bad for your teeth?
I'll bet your heavy socks stand up all night when you take em orf!

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
9/10.

Keep going, you might get the hang of this lunatic asylum yet! ;-)

(Only 9 because you missed an "n" out of Donnington)
Deliberate....deliberate mis spelling, I am rather shy and thought to practice mis spelling, before I dare to use the naughty c & f swear words as used on this site......Owwwere, my knees are trembling at the thought!

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Registration with MHRA, for dental laboratories has been put back until next year. The aim to control work being sent overseas. Without work, UK laboratories might well not survive to register. Impressions for new dentures can be taken, Dentists just need to get on with it!

It would be grand to "just get on with it" However we are restricted in what we can provide by a combination of government guidance, PPE (both type and availability) and also the patients who come in through the door. They actually need to require the treatment you suggest.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
It would be grand to "just get on with it" However we are restricted in what we can provide by a combination of government guidance, PPE (both type and availability) and also the patients who come in through the door. They actually need to require the treatment you suggest.
Before Covid 19, I would have thought there was already a reluctance to take on nhs dentures/crowns due to this being Band 3, patient contribution £269, and only 12 UDA for dentist?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Before Covid 19, I would have thought there was already a reluctance to take on nhs dentures/crowns due to this being Band 3, patient contribution £269, and only 12 UDA for dentist?

Perhaps that depends if the dentist also does private work?

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Perhaps that depends if the dentist also does private work?
Dentures is dentures, if a patient wants nhs, then we old folk, who have worked continously thoughout our working days and always paid a weekly employment contribution (stamp) should have as a right access (in old age) to nhs dental services, including dentures, crowns etc.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I must say that for a man in his late 80s* that you seem very well informed about the intricacies of modern dentistry.

However, my understanding is that if required then they must be provided under NHS although private may be given as a choice. Several of the large corporates rely on pure NHS.

But I am not an expert on UDAs and the various Bands as I operate North of the Border where we area still on an item of service payment. (until Covid anyway)

* (if your earlier assertion about National Service in early 50s is correct)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dentures is dentures, if a patient wants nhs,then we old folk who have worked continously thoughout our working lifes and always paid an employment contribution (stamp) should have as a right access to nhs dental services, including dentures etc.

Then go see an NHS Dentist then.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Then go see an NHS Dentist then.
All of us presently (not me I'm long retired) in the dental team, learnt or were educated in dentistry in a country with nhs dentistry (since 1947), so I would say all have to produce satisfactory nhs appliances, in respect of having the benefit of being trained.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All of us presently (not me I'm long retired) in the dental team, learnt or were educated in dentistry in a country with nhs dentistry (since 1947), so I would say all have to produce satisfactory nhs appliances, in respect of having the benefit of being trained.

A local practice to me disproves you easily enough in the All educated in a a country with NHS Dentistry

9 dentists, 2 trained and qualified in Dundee, 7 in India.

Another, Further North has 3 dentists, all from Poland.

So not everyone has been trained by the NHS.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
He is. There has only ever been one Scot in the RADC.

True fact.
Then I had the privilege of having met and working with truly nice guy. edit......Hang on, now you mention it, (memories drifting back), we also had a Capt Sharp RADC, another great guy, pretty certain he was also a Scot?

Last edited:

KnockKnock

Old-Salt

A local practice to me disproves you easily enough in the All educated in a a country with NHS Dentistry

9 dentists, 2 trained and qualified in Dundee, 7 in India.

Another, Further North has 3 dentists, all from Poland.

So not everyone has been trained by the NHS.
During the 1980s we had many dentists here who had already been trained in Australia, and very good they all were. But even so, surely when I attended 10 years ago at EDH as a 'secret'patient' (a bit like a 'secret shopper'), so an overseas dentist could show his stuff, before being allowed to practice in UK? So I think my argument stands!