Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to the Dentist

There must be a word for someone who posts what appears to be a reasonable question, then doesn't like the answers, refuses to acknowledge any advice, then throws a geriatric tantrum about something irrelevant...
Who also posts a picture of their scabby buttocks?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
You don't even know the singer.... Val Donnigton

9/10.

Keep going, you might get the hang of this lunatic asylum yet! ;-)

(Only 9 because you missed an "n" out of Donnington)

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Whilst on the forum 'Scottish Politics' thread a while ago, I answered Fangs question... 'Guess what I am doing the day'. My reply,... Was it 80% of nhs pay for 20% dental activity in Scotland? The answer came back 'average of 80%'.
Now I can understand the amount of time to prepare a dental surgery between patients, but IMO some dentists are ignoring the plight of dental laboratories, as if the laboratories can wait indefinitely, receiving a small amount of work (perhaps a denture repair once a week), whilst they each as dental technicians (dental care professionals)( so described as members of the dental team) have to pay their individual ARF to the GDC due in August. And with the very expensive equipment needed by a dental laboratory to provide a full service to dentists (nhs and 'private') many laboratory owners (who don't get paid direct for nhs appliances) must surely have large loans to service. IMO dentists might help by taking impressions for dentures and crowns, so to help keep laboratories running.
As advertising slogans go.... when they are gone, they are gone!

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Whilst on the forum 'Scottish Politics' thread a while ago, I answered Fangs question... 'Guess what I am doing the day'. My reply,... Was is it 80% of nhs pay for 20% dental activity in Scotland? The answer came back 'average of 80%'.
Now I can understand the amount of time to prepare a dental surgery between patients, but IMO some dentists are ignoring the plight of dental laboratories, as if the laboratories can wait indefinitely, receiving a small amount of work (perhaps a denture repair once a week), whilst they each as dental technicians (dental care professionals)( so described as members of the dental team) have to pay their individual ARF to the GDC due in August. And with the very expensive equipment needed by a dental laboratory to provide a full service to dentists (nhs and 'private') many laboratory owners (who don't get paid direct for nhs appliances) must surely have large loans to service. IMO dentists might help by taking impressions for dentures and crowns, so to help keep laboratories running.
As advertising slogans go.... when they are gone, they are gone!

Lets go for facts.

DCP ARF was due in July, not August.

Technicians and labs have been entitled to the same furlough and financial help as many other businesses.

What very expensive equipment?

And how are dentists meant to have been routinely providing these treatments under the current restrictions placed upon their practice?

We are making dentures when necessary, NHS and private. Similarly with crowns

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Lets go for facts.

DCP ARF was due in July, not August.

Technicians and labs have been entitled to the same furlough and financial help as many other businesses.

What very expensive equipment?

And how are dentists meant to have been routinely providing these treatments under the current restrictions placed upon their practice?

We are making dentures when necessary, NHS and private. Similarly with crowns
First of August is 'July'. What 'financial help'?
Goodness me, dental laboratories don't manage with a couple of plain line artics, a model trimmer, and a bucket to boil the methyl methacrylate dentures!
There are electric melters, 3D CAD printers, casting machines, many different furnaces, specific furnaces for press ceramics, sand blasters, anatomical articulators, cobalt chrome cetifugal casting equipment, and the numerous stock of ceramic powders (£60+vat a 50gr jar) to satisfy every different shade of ceramic crown that a dentist might chose for a patient. By and large, dentists get a great service from dental laboratories and don't realise it!

Last edited:
Based on the evidence I think it's getting closer to Terry Fuckwitt.

I remember many years ago for Halloween making a set of vampire fangs for the first Mrs F for an Officers' Mess Fancy Dress party.

They looked superb, unfortunately we had to leave the party early in order for me to have to open up the Dental Centre to remove them as they had been rather too good in that not come off by themselves and were cutting the inside of her lip!

Yes, yes, but you're a dentist. Mrs Pcar has done things for me too that GDC (and GMC) may frown about

Question was to do with bloke in pub selling and fitting fangs

btw Mrs Pcar crowned mine as I had no second incisors - always vampire at Halloween when a child

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
First of August is 'July'. What 'financial help'?
Goodness me, dental laboratories don't manage with a couple of plain line artics, a model trimmer, and a bucket to boil the methyl methacrylate dentures!
There are electric melters, 3D CAD printers, casting machines, many different furnaces, specific furnaces for press ceramics, sand blasters, anatomical articulators, cobalt chrome cetifugal casting equipment, and the numerous stock of ceramic powders (£60+vat a 50gr jar) to satisfy every different shade of ceramic crown that a dentist might chose for a patient. By and large, dentists get a great service from dental laboratories and don't realise it!

It depends upon the type of lab.

We have numerous small one man labs up here running without much in the way of very expensive.

I am not denying that there are expensive items but there is no requirement for multiple very expensive stuff.

Very few are casting their own chrome these days, usually only in bigger labs or sent overseas.

And in terms of financial support.
Screenshot_20200814-060223_Samsung Internet.jpg

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Very few are casting their own chrome these days, usually only in bigger labs or sent overseas.

Registration with MHRA, for dental laboratories has been put back until next year. The aim to control work being sent overseas. Without work, UK laboratories might well not survive to register. Impressions for new dentures can be taken, Dentists just need to get on with it!

Last edited:

Latest Threads