Going to the AFCO?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ScotlandsLad, Oct 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,
    Just a couple of little questions about the first time going to the AFCO.
    Basically, i'm toying with the idea of going to the one in Glasgow, having a chat, maybe getting some more information packs or whatever.

Is it reccomended to do this before you're old enough to apply?

Is it reccomended to wear a shirt and tie, even if it is a quick visit and not old enough to apply?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Do it whenever you're ready. Wear what you want for the 1st visit for info and pamphlets. Wear a suit etc for interviews.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. How not old enough are you? As long as it's not too much carry on. You won't need a shirt and tie but do look presentable.
  4. Well, I turned 15 on the 13th of July, so nearly 15 and 3 months.

Really do feel ready for the visit, because it's always at the back of my mind, and I know that I am mature and ready to make my decision. At least then if I get some more information, mum and dad MAY CONSIDER sitting down with me and talking about it!
  5. Then go, good luck.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. best of luck mate, and take in all the advice your given from those who are willing but more importantly qualified to give it as they why may show you options to get to where you want to be that you haven't considered or aware of... all the best
  7. Thanks for your help everyone.

One more question,
    On my visit, and I explain the jobs that i've been looking at, is there any way he can advise a job that he personally thinks for me to do, or is this all in the BARB tests and stuff?
  8. Just go in and have a chat, they won't eat you.
  9. Your recruiter will give you a rough idea of what jobs are open to you from the type of things you are looking for and the academic quals you say you have at the ICV, its not until you do the BARB when you find what your eligable to do from the academic side and then you find out exactly what you are eliagable for later down the process at ADSC when all your medical/fitness and academic standards go on the computer.
  10. It might not be a bad idea to bring your parents along. If they are not keen on the idea of you wanting to join, ask them to come with you. They can ask all they questions that they want and get the answers, they will be much more willing if they know more about it. Anyway, dress casual for the first time you go. You only need a shirt, tie etc when you do your official interviews which you will get warned about.
  11. I've already asked my parents to go with me.
    Mum just hates talking about it. Says she won't sign my forms if it's anything like Infantry.
    Dad says if it's what I want to do, then he can't stop me, but mum just says no.

So i've spent the past few hours on the site, taking notes on a couple of jobs that interest me.
  12. Just remember until you are over 18 you need one parent to sign the AFCO4 to let you start the process but both to sign the consent forms to allow you to attest if successful...............so you better start showing them how mature, helpful and motivated you are.........definately take parents along...it will be beneficial.
  13. Thanks Iron, so basically, I would need my dads signature for example to get the ball rolling so to speak, and both to continue it?

So what would be the best way to do that?
  14. best of luck man. And make sure tell all the nay-sayers that not all lads of your age are hoody wearing drop outs, most,like you want to make a go it.
    • Like Like x 1