Going to Oz

Here's the score. Load of blokes going for a military jolly in 2007. Need some advice on the "do's and dont's". Insurance when on R & R etc.

Cheers

Slip,Slop,Slap

Get travel insurance - good stuff. You do not want to be paying med bills here (or dental)

Which part of Oz and when?

Nige said:
Slip,Slop,Slap

Get travel insurance - good stuff. You do not want to be paying med bills here (or dental)

Which part of Oz and when?
Sydney. Regimental Band going for some PR, Cricket and blowing some Sheilas.

They will probably get the full score when they recce in Jan. But forewarned and all that. Mostly done via the DA I am assuming anyway.

Hi Yan,

Want a 3rd Clart? :D

b-flat

YANTOFULPELT said:
You're in the band :D I suppose it's better they send you boys on a jolly than actually try and teach you some military skills.

You're in the band I suppose it's better they send you boys on a jolly than actually try and teach you some military skills.
Try watching the Welsh internationals then you'll see the high standard of a "part time band" that equals any regular band.

I beleive you to be a buffoon sir. :D

B

Bottleosmoke

Good insurance, buy your suncreams and thongs when you get there.
Buy decent and i mean decent sun glasses as you will suffer without them.

When in Sydney. Stay away from Quinella and Paramatta. Kings Cross is just a parody of itself but there are cheap hotels there.

Musts are Coogee bay, Manley and The Rocks ( The orient bar). Bondi is worth a look but very small.

Get your arses up the bridge and also take the ferry to Manley from Circular Key.

Donts.........Poke the wildlife, swim where you arnt meant to, arm wrestle lesbians (from experience) or call the locals Convicts, especially in Tasmania!

Do Take the Ghan (train) from Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs.

Dont bother with much west of Adelaide, its known as the GAFA...The Great Australian **** All, however Perth is meant to be OK.

Finally.........If you can, go and watch Australia play cricket at the SCG............Amazing!

have fun

StabTiffy2B said:
YANTOFULPELT said:
You're in the band :D I suppose it's better they send you boys on a jolly than actually try and teach you some military skills.
No not me. But as Red Dragon said, the only Band invited for the Internationals.

When is Veterans Day down under??

Red_Dragon said:
You're in the band I suppose it's better they send you boys on a jolly than actually try and teach you some military skills.
Try watching the Welsh internationals then you'll see the high standard of a "part time band" that equals any regular band.

I beleive you to be a buffoon sir. :D
I can play that. Do you need a backup :) ?

The RY sent a contingent to Oz in 2004 for Reserve Forces Day. There were parades in Sydney and Canberra from memory. They got f*cked around a little by the organisers of the event who are civvies and not directly associated with the Australian Army (called the RFD Association).

In Sydney, definitely hop on a ferry to Manly which is on the northern side of the Harbour. Also do the Bridgeclimb. Coogee and Bondi Beaches to the southeast are a favourite for all Poms so definitely get out there too. You will be hard pressed to find Pint glasses in Oz though. Most lagers are served in half pint glasses called 'Schooners'. A good choice is 'Tooheys New' which are New Southwelshmen's favourite drink.

In Canberra, if you are going there, definitely make time to see the Australian War Memorial. It is one of the best war museums in the world and has the largest collection of VCs anywhere.

Also, you should try and visit an Australian TA unit of the same Corps if on their Drill Night (usually a Tuesday night) you get the chance.

If you get lucky don't forget to bag up.

Ozy birds are the filthiest on the planet. Unless you want to take your knob home in a zip lock bag you'll go in amoured, every time.

bobath said:
Ozy birds are the filthiest on the planet. Unless you want to take your knob home in a zip lock bag you'll go in amoured, every time.
That's the best phrase I've read in ages. It's going on the wiki :D