Going on Tour with the TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by sc-edwards, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am thinking about joining my local TA unit, Please can someone tell me if its voluntary or compulsory that I would be going on tour? I have been told its kind of voluntary but at the same time you could be mobilised so I'm a little confused? Don't get me wrong I'm not against going on tour but a friend asked what the deal is and I couldn't answer him.

2. msr

msr LE

Simple answer: As of Nov 05 all tours have been voluntary. However, in the case of a national emergency you won't get a choice.

msr

3. How does that work jobwise? As I understand it, if it's compulsory your job is protected but if it's not then your employer does not have to. I know people may think i'm stupid, but when I finally get in and i'm trained, I do want to go on tour. BUT I wouldn't want to risk my full time job! Are there ways around it? Have certain employers made agreements with SABRE to honour people's jobs?

4. Ok thanks for your reply. So are you saying that i could join the ta for the next 5 years and not have to do a tour unless there is a national emergency?

How do they stop people siging up getting the licences and leaving as im sure some people would be more than willing to do?

Also i have a C + E already dose this mean i am good to go on tour as soon as i finish training as a soldier? what trade training would i receive if i already have the licences ??

5. msr

msr LE

You put your name forward and then you receive your papers for mobilisation. The key here is to be open and honest with your employer: don't just saunter in one morning and say "Look what arrived in the post".

msr
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=123361/highlight=compulsory.html

6. msr

msr LE

You could

You can't

Ask your PSI ;)

msr

7. Good advice, however just be careful on what you tell them. If they are the supporting type then that's fine.

If you tell them and they want to get rid of you before your mobilised then you've got no protection at all.

A few hints is good "there is a possibility" and "I might get called up in the next 24 months" gives them a heads up and its not a total surprise.

If there registered with SABRE then you should be okay

8. my advice would be to go on tour for the experence and then if you lose your job whilst your out there fu*k it.

my mate is in the mercian ta and he went on tour last year lost his job whilst out there then he told his co at the ta and the unit he was with whilst on tour offered him a job in there unit in the regs.