going on holiday need advice for trips into the jungle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dantae, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would really appreciate any advice on how to stay safe in the jungle because I really don’t fancy coming down with something or getting bitten by anything poisonous if I can help it I will be using a good hotel and doing excursions into the jungle this is probably doubly important because i can not come home if I catch anything sister has no immune system would have to find some where to stay in England till everything’s cleared up thanks for your time Chris

2. Where are you going firstly (country), is it primary/secondary jungle? Many differnt types of Jungle in theatres????

3. thinking of costa rica bitterandtwisted, and i wasnt aware there where diffrent types of jungel, I will try and find out thanks for the advice mr_deputy

4. The jungle? Don't take a leak into rivers / water. Sure there's some kind of nasty bug thing that will swim up the stream of urine into your japs eye and cause you all types of nasty discomfort. :(
    And steer away from fetish gear, thick black leather or rubber isn't that breathable. 8O

5. Try not to get bitten by any snakes:

Snakebite in Costa Rica

Each year, about 500-800 people are bitten by venomous snakes in Costa Rica , and generally, from five to 10 people die. In most cases, fatalities occur because o a lack of medical treatment with anitvenom. Over 95% of the bites from venomous species are caused by members of the family Viperadae (pitvipers), and a minimal number are attributed to members of the family Elapidae (coralsnakes). Among the venomous species, the Terciopelo (Bothrops asper) ranks as the main protagonist, since it is undoubtedly responsible for the majority of bites not only in Costa Rica but throughout Central America . From a biomedical perspective, its large size, quantity and potency of its venom, and its relative abundance (due to a high reproductive potential and ability to adapt to altered habitats) makes this the most important species. This snake deserves the utmost respect and caution from anyone traversing its habitat.

Link: http://www.dominical.biz/reptiles/SnakeBite.htm

Or by any crocodiles or spiders, or stung by scorpions, or poisoned by marine toads etc etc. Too many links to attach, but google it and you'll find them.

Try not to catch any of the following:

The following medical diseases or health concerns are more common in travel to Costa Rica (compared to the USA and other areas of the Western World):
    travelers’ diarrhea
    cholera
    malaria
    Escherichia coli diarrhea
    hepatitis A
    schistosomiasis - found in fresh water
    typhoid fever
    Insect born diseases
    parasitic diseases
    Dengue fever
    filariasis
    leishmaniasis
    onchocerciasis
    American trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease)
    toxoplasmosis
    HIV
    AIDS
    hepatitis B

Oh, and have a good trip!

6. nice selection of arrse there mr_deputy and thanks for the enouragement schweik seriously tho thnaks for that the information is proving to be helpfull shall definatley be investing in a good pare of boots and a knife any recomendations on the boots

7. You'll be most at risk from tropical parasites and insects. It's a peculiar thing in rain forests, the smaller the pest, the more ferocious the attacks!!
    Another tip we were taught in Guyana is to wear a condom when wading through rivers. Apparently there is a minute little fish that swims up the urethra and then hangs on, causing a very painful and difficult to cure infection. I don't know if this particular parasite is indigenous to Costa Rica....as Schweik says.....have a good trip!! :D

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Desease/diseases_CAmer.html

Some useful info.