Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Going off grid

There was/is a commune in Pembrokeshire.All self built and "eco" of course.Took a few years to get planning permission, but they argued that living low impact lifestyles and making a living from the land was sustainable.
They got their permission.
I think they are fighting to keep the place as the council isn't happy with their death trap LSD inspired housing made of twigs and moss and the agreement was based on them getting an income from the land over a certain figure which being hippies they can't achieve.

That’s interesting. I looked at the woodland sales link above with a view to just that but clearly a lot of people have similar ideas as the company in the link provide a useful guide that basically says “forget it”. Useful info re not fixed / no running water to potentially get around this.

I'm not looking to go full on hermit, more looking to get a few days here and there away from phones and fuckwits.
Check Rightmove, Hungary. Set max price to £50k (lowest). Check decent vineyards and attached cottages - usually with well / generator - £15kish. Off grid-ish but habitable for a break from 5g, etc.

Check Rightmove, Hungary. Set max price to £50k (lowest). Check decent vineyards and attached cottages - usually with well / generator - £15kish. Off grid-ish but habitable for a break from 5g, etc.
You would not be off grid as the property would be registered to you,buying in third world countries is not a smart move however attractive it may appear, rent , if you rent you could fob a landlord off with dodgy ID , if something pisses you off , pack up and move on.

You would not be off grid as the property would be registered to you,buying in third world countries is not a smart move however attractive it may appear, rent , if you rent you could fob a landlord off with dodgy ID , if something pisses you off , pack up and move on.
Fair points. Hungary is more 'a break from modernity, albeit in a broadly modern country'. Some of the properties are remotely located. It's not Jason Bourne 'off the grid' however.

Traditional Romanian village welcoming party for new residents.
images (16).jpeg

Talk her into a modified PZL Wilga like Patey`s ,ideal STOL bush plane , although he modified his too much recently.

Cap, I'm having as little to do with this as possible, besides if her flying is going to be anything like her driving then I foresee bad things happening.

Besides mate, I can't see why she wants a scaryplane when she has a perfectly good broom to fly around on.

My doctor is a super good bloke, he’s offered to help me with flying anxiety by letting me use his Cessna for flying lessons. I’ve flown nearly two million miles, but still hate flying. Anyway, I digress. It’s not actually his aircraft any more, he gave it to his buddy on condition that the friend maintains it, and Ken (my Dr) can use it any time he wants. Ken is not a stupid man!

I am usually a bit anxious any time I have to fly without a parachute.

Bloody hell where do you work!
No idea if they rot,but they are only mild steel.Buried in wet Welsh soil would have been a very good test for them, as obviously they were not designed to be wet most of the time. As my friend was looking at using them for long term 'home' I would have thought some sort of water protection would have been sensible.
No idea what the story is with this one...hungry sheep maybe?
View attachment 450501

That would be a "One Trip" container. Manufactured in China to make one trip across the ocean filled with cargo. It would meet all the specs on paper, and made from 14 Gauge steel (recycled), with heavy hardwood pesticide soaked decking, but the galvanizing and coatings were probably skimped on a bit.

Been looking at that website for quite a while.
Right now, I am pretty much self sustaining for meat, fish, salad and veg ( the latter two in trade for services rendered shooting rats and the occaisional fox etc )

One problem purchasing these woodlands which often occurs is that you have limitations imposed like, cant shoot deer.

Woods and deer management are so intrinsically entwined but the woods up for lease seem to be mostly owned by vegans.
You are not really buying something if someone else has the right to dictate how it's used, best walk away, however a good sound moderator will help put meat on the table .

We are pretty much off grid here. I supply my own water from well water and generate electricity as well as having a whole house generator, internet is satellite internet. Food we grow during the growing season which we blanche, dry off and freeze. Meat, I raise cattle and the missus has her chickens. I butcher one of the cows every year, half of which I trade for pork and lamb, on top of that we have plentiful game and fish around these parts.

I have two huge underground fuel tanks, one for oil and one for propane, electricity is supplied by two windmills. We also have a hand pump for water should the brown smelly stuff hit the fan.

It's a lot of work but I wouldn't have it any other way as I love living this life.

How do you kill your cow if you don't mind me asking?

For a while I’ve been promising myself some sort of off grid retreat in our woods.

I’ve got a pretty perfect spot. Totally private, with a small river running through.

I’m currently looking at pallet cabins. You can build some pretty impressive and cheap structures out of old forklift pallets.

Basically a place to camp out in the summer, have BBQs and parties etc.

One idea that has crossed my mind is to half bury some pig arcs. Basically make a few oversized Anderson Shelters.

Would be a bit more discrete than a small house made from pallets and less likely for some jobsworth from the council to turn up and demand I take it down.
One of my former recruits plus her partner actually built this in Brecon...

1582023016548.png

1582023134329.png