Going off grid

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of my former recruits plus her partner actually built this in Brecon...

View attachment 450688

View attachment 450689
There is a channel on the YouTube called TA Outdoors. He does loads of stuff like this.

Strangely relaxing to watch.

Well worth a look.

Another half decent one called Scrambled O. Less relaxing due to him being a loud American, but still good to watch.

One of my former recruits plus her partner actually built this in Brecon...

View attachment 450688

View attachment 450689
That's a neat fireplace. I notice that it is set to self refuel by burning the log above it until it falls in to the fire. There is a chance of at least one the log halves remaining in contact with the log wall as it catches and the flames move upwards. Once the shelter is ablaze the four trees are done for. As for the resulting forest fire..

That's a neat fireplace. I notice that it is set to self refuel by burning the log above it until it falls in to the fire. There is a chance of at least one the log halves remaining in contact with the log wall as it catches and the flames move upwards. Once the shelter is ablaze the four trees are done for. As for the resulting forest fire..
Not just back from holidays down under perchance?.... :lol:

How do you kill your cow if you don't mind me asking?
The cow is moved into a head gate so it can't move and is shot through the brain, death is instantaneous.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
my brother in law went off grid following or during his divorce, 18 months on a canal barge no one could trace him .

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
@RigPig Great post mate!

I believe that the thinking now is to have no windows on the north side, just an earth bank up against the house that also contains the tanks for the rainwater harvesting. (The bank is reinforced against slippage by burying old rubber tyres).

I'm amazed at some of the ideas that people are coming up with all the time that combine recycling - such as banks of interlinked old plastic lemonade bottles to heat their water, as well as straw bales for good walls, as you mentioned. Just 10 minutes on, for example, the Pinterest site shows what can be done with a bit of thought!

You ought to put all your ideas into practice one of these times ...

Dick Proenneke takes some beating for living off grid. In 1968, aged 52, he moved to Alaska, built a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and lived there for 30 years. There’s quite a few movies about him, he took a couple cameras with him to record his experiences.

Dick Proenneke takes some beating for living off grid. In 1968, aged 52, he moved to Alaska, built a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and lived there for 30 years. There’s quite a few movies about him, he took a couple cameras with him to record his experiences.

A great video and if you have a look mate there are a few more he made. SWMBO recently asked me to get one of his books for her which is her current reading material.

Might have been mentioned already,but Off Grid And Free by Ron Melchiore is a very interesting read. It might be available as a free ebook if you look around.

Off Grid and Free: My Path to the Wilderness is the story of the journey Ron Melchiore undertook as a young man from the city, first to homesteading in northern Maine and then to living in the bush of northern Saskatchewan. He has lived off grid since approximately 1980 and speaks candidly about the joys and the tribulations of his chosen lifestyle. In this adventure, Ron shares the diversity of his experiences in an easy-to-read, humorous, and sometimes harrowing narrative. The book includes his hiking of the 2,100 mile Appalachian Trail in winter, bicycling across the United States, homesteading off grid, the terror of being surrounded by a wildfire, surprise encounters with bears, and more. For readers with an outdoors spirit, people with an off grid and self-sufficiency bent, and dreamers who like to read about adventure, Ron hopes to inspire others to "take the road less traveled."

Perfect, thank you. I literally was just curious but that's perfect and decent.
No problem RGJ, we always keep it as quiet and relaxed as possible for the sake of the animal. SWMBO always insisted that it had a last feed as well.

There is a channel on the YouTube called TA Outdoors. He does loads of stuff like this.

Strangely relaxing to watch.

Well worth a look.

Another half decent one called Scrambled O. Less relaxing due to him being a loud American, but still good to watch.
His dads channel , TA fishing is bloody good as well. Old duffer messing about on his boat or on Chesel beach .

Last edited:

hicky

Old-Salt
My self reliance is a decent watch on youtube for building log cabin type stuff etc

No problem RGJ, we always keep it as quiet and relaxed as possible for the sake of the animal. SWMBO always insisted that it had a last feed as well.
A right and meet thing to do. A gentleman always treats what he eats with kindness.

Sort of related, a pet hate of mine is chucking meat away. An animal has died for provide that ,and I kinda feel there's a moral obligation not to waste meat.

His dads channel , TA fishing is bloody good as well. Old duffer messing about on his boat or on Chesel beach .
+ TA Fishing.

Been a subscriber for a while now.

Survival Lilly is another for off grid stuff.

It is not exactly bushcraft, but if you want to see one person showing a whole bunch of basic skills, watch this.

It is also beautifully filmed and she is an utter, utter babe.

It is not exactly bushcraft, but if you want to see one person showing a whole bunch of basic skills, watch this.

It is also beautifully filmed and she is an utter, utter babe.

So it needs a stunning Chinese bird in scarlet to cook a proper Chinese meal ?
Im have Chinese tonight, now just thinking how to get that bird in past the missus....

So it needs a stunning Chinese bird in scarlet to cook a proper Chinese meal ?
Im have Chinese tonight, now just thinking how to get that bird in past the missus....
Watch a few other of her films/posts whatever its called.
The sheer range of skills she has from cooking , cultivating, art, woodwork, music is impressive and done in a most charming way.

Latest Threads