Going off grid

I used to know a bloke who got into this.His parents had a small holding in Powys.He got ISO container, dug a trench into a hillside (he thought three side by side would be enough,all interconnected) Put the container in there and backfilled it.Got the PV panels set up, small wind turbine, water from a stream on the farm, vegetable plot, a small rabbit farm...
I went to visit him as his Mum thought he was getting obsessed with the whole project.He showed me his handywork. All looked great.I then asked what he had done to prevent the ISO rotting on the sides that were in the trench? He then asked me to go.

I've thought about this. I even looked into it with regards to Hungary, where £15-20k (or less) will buy you a remotely located house and enough land to be self-sustaining.
The issue I couldn't get away from was medical care - or access thereto. Something as simple as toothache, or as complex as heart issues/sight issues. You're in the middle of no-where - what do you do?
If anyone is thinking of it, Hungary would be an affordable option. Not Romania* - judging by Rightmove.

*It looks like a right sh**hole

Last edited:
I used to know a bloke who got into this.His parents had a small holding in Powys.He got ISO container, dug a trench into a hillside (he thought three side by side would be enough,all interconnected) Put the container in there and backfilled it.Got the PV panels set up, small wind turbine, water from a stream on the farm, vegetable plot, a small rabbit farm...
I went to visit him as his Mum thought he was getting obsessed with the whole project.He showed me his handywork. All looked great.I then asked what he had done to prevent the ISO rotting on the sides that were in the trench? He then asked me to go.
Were his initials PJ and was his Mrs Dutch by any chance.
Family from Llandinam.

Depending on the how much of the paintwork remains, drainage and soil conditions, it might last a good few years. That or he'd better start buying sacrificial anodes.

The issue I couldn't get away from was medical care - or access thereto. Something as simple as toothache, or as complex as heart issues/sight issues. You're in the middle of no-where - what do you do?
We're lucky in that SWMBO is a qualified cardiothoracic surgeon and she has damn near an operating room at our place. For emergencies, choppers fly out to pick up patients if need be.

She is going to be taking flying lessons come this May and I and two of my kids are going to be building a runway for the plane she wants to buy.

We're lucky in that SWMBO is a qualified cardiothoracic surgeon and she has damn near an operating room at our place. For emergencies, choppers fly out to pick up patients if need be.

She is going to be taking flying lessons come this May and I and two of my kids are going to be building a runway for the plane she wants to buy.
Ooh, what plane ? Cessna 172 ?

Depending on the how much of the paintwork remains, drainage and soil conditions, it might last a good few years. That or he'd better start buying sacrificial anodes.
He didn't give those sorts of things any thought.All he knew was "it had to be done"

Ooh, what plane ? Cessna 172 ?
I have no idea what she has in mind at the moment, she changes her mind with every new aircraft brochure she reads.

Being out in the boonies has one great effect in that you're not exposed as much to contagious disease in the same density as townies - chest infections and viral nasties that might lead to complications can be avoided.

RigPig

War Hero
I hope she never needs you to be on the operating side of the scalpel with her on the table.

RP.

if you are serius about this , have a look on FB site Motorhome madness, or any of the other MH sites
A wealth of information buried in there

Dozens of MoHos are using solar … can be expensive to set up

edited to add , cheaper than house solar

I hope she never needs you to be on the operating side of the scalpel with her on the table.

RP.
Why? Hey I can butcher cattle and dress out/ gralloch most wildlife so SWMBO shouldn't be a problem :twisted:

I have no idea what she has in mind at the moment, she changes her mind with every new aircraft brochure she reads.
Fair enough. I just plucked it out as its cheap, reliable and easy to fly with safe handling characteristics.

Latest Threads