Going off grid

Eyyup,

- just been watching stuff on telly about folks going off grid. I must say I'm vaguely interested by the idea. Now then, has any of the august members of Arrse ever done the like ?
No need to get the boss to sign me off for a pysch eval just yet boys so you can put that straight jacket away.

Eyyup,

- just been watching stuff on telly about folks going off grid. I must say I'm vaguely interested by the idea. Now then, has any of the august members of Arrse ever done the like ?
No need to get the boss to sign me off for a pysch eval just yet boys so you can put that straight jacket away.
That's my retirement plan. When we go camping, we manage without mains hookup using solar, wood burning and bottled gas. I've used composting toilets on a campsite and was surprised how good they were.

Just need a bit of land.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

One thing that the Kilcher family have shown, access to food is seasonal. Making your own bread is one thing butter, milk, cheese, preserves it is all time consuming either you enjoy it or you rely on a weekly shopping run.

Almost but not quite.

Before I got married I considered going off grid so far as practicable i.e. doing as much work for cash and making as many payments in cash as possible. Also purchasing a small patch of land and having a static caravan.

I worked out that I could pretty much get by with a simple bank account and otherwise minimal electronic footprint.

E.g. internet access in the local library or by a non-traceable secure linux laptop used from a coffee shop when necessary. Cheap PAYG mobile of the basic Nokia brick type, switched on only when necessary and away from home.

No loyalty cards or other BS. Place can be furnished with SH furniture from charity shops. Local shop sells local food.

Then I blew it all and got married & had kids.

Niamac

GCM
Not so much going off grid re food etc.

The game is not to leave enough electronic dots for the blighters to join them up and make a picture. Use non-propriety systems, Linux, Firefox, VPNs, Cookie killers. Frightening what's happening. Lightbeam will show you what trail you are leaving. I've visited 439 sites but I've been connected to 1577 sites. Social media is a no-go area for me. I like to think I'm still in control but I'm probably kidding myself.

Not so much going off grid re food etc.

The game is not to leave enough electronic dots for the blighters to join them up and make a picture. Use non-propriety systems, Linux, Firefox, VPNs, Cookie killers. Frightening what's happening. Lightbeam will show you what trail you are leaving. I've visited 439 sites but I've been connected to 1577 sites. Social media is a no-go area for me. I like to think I'm still in control but I'm probably kidding myself.
And yet here you are.

I was struck years ago with the story of a couple who flogged their house and bought a canal boat. Mobile minimalism of a sort. Im not quite sure Id survive undivorced if I took that approach . I was just struck by how much we clutter ourselves with and how to live comfortably on less.

RigPig

War Hero
I did an Open Uni project many years ago where I had to design an off grid system. I could choose my location. I chose a cliff top property in Cornwall with a nice south facing roof. There was a cliff nearby where I could site a wave power generator. In the project I was only able to use two sources. If I was allowed I would of added a wind turbine and ground source heat pumps as well.

Reasons for my choices were that the Lizard in Cornwall is optimal in UK for solar and the waves are normally pretty good. Also the wave powered generator is an unusual choice as you need the right sort of location for one to work. There was a nice V shaped channel that the waves would intensify in to operate the generator. I would super insulate the property and run deep cycle batteries to provide back up power at night or calm cloudy days.

Since I did the project technology has moved on with even car manufacturers getting into providing home electrical storage systems; Tesla being the most well known, but Mercedes are also in the game. The batteries from electric vehicles or hybrids when they are no longer suitable for car use can have a second lease of live in domestic properties where the load won’t be so great. Reuse in the hierarchy of waste.

If building my own property I’d build it with hay bales; insulation and structure in one natural product. Wool insulation would be used where required. Triple glazed large windows on the South side to benefit from solar heating and small windows on North to reduce heat loss. I’d also fit the sort of white shutters you see on the continent; to reduce heat loss at night and also keep the property cool in summer. I believe these shutters these can be left slightly open to allow air through in combination with inward opening windows.

Best be off to do some hippy shit now. These lentils won’t knit themselves you know. I’ll have to dig out what I wrote.

RP.

edit. looks like I was just going off grid for power, not as in hidden from everybody electronically.

Last edited:
I did an Open Uni project many years ago where I had to design an off grid system. I could choose my location. I chose a cliff top property in Cornwall with a nice south facing roof. Also was a cliff nearby where I could site a wave power generator. In the project I was only able to use two sources. I would of added a wind turbine and ground source heat pumps as well.
Reasons for my choices wee that the Lizard in Cornwall is optimal in UK for solar and the waves are normally pretty good. A wave power generator was also outside of the usual systems to be used. I would super insulate the property and run deep cycle batteries to provide back up at night or calm cloudy days.

Since I did the project technology has moved on with even car manufacturers getting into providing home electrical storage systems; Tesla being the most well known, but Mercedes are also in the game. The batteries from electric vehicles or hybrids when they are no longer suitable for car use can have a second lease of live in domestic properties where the load won’t be so great. Reuse in the hierarchy of waste.

if building my own property I’d build it with hay bales, insulation and structure in one natural product. Wool insulation where required. Triple glazed large windows on the South side to benefit from solar heating and small windows on North to reduce heat loss. I’d also fit the sort of white shutters you see on the continent, to reduce heat loss at night and also keep the property cool in summer. I believe these shutters these can be left slightly open to allow air through in combination with inward opening windows.

Best be off to do some hippy shit now. These lentils wont knit themselves you know. I’ll have to dig out what I wrote.

RP.
Blimey. Stick what you wrote on here mate, be interesting to read.

RigPig

War Hero
Blimey. Stick what you wrote on here mate, be interesting to read.
I’ll have to see if I can find it. I’ve moved house twice since then.

RP.

We are pretty much off grid here. I supply my own water from well water and generate electricity as well as having a whole house generator, internet is satellite internet. Food we grow during the growing season which we blanche, dry off and freeze. Meat, I raise cattle and the missus has her chickens. I butcher one of the cows every year, half of which I trade for pork and lamb, on top of that we have plentiful game and fish around these parts.

I have two huge underground fuel tanks, one for oil and one for propane, electricity is supplied by two windmills. We also have a hand pump for water should the brown smelly stuff hit the fan.

It's a lot of work but I wouldn't have it any other way as I love living this life.

We are pretty much off grid here. I supply my own water from well water and generate electricity as well as having a whole house generator, internet is satellite internet. Food we grow during the growing season which we blanche, dry off and freeze. Meat, I raise cattle and the missus has her chickens. I butcher one of the cows every year, half of which I trade for pork and lamb, on top of that we have plentiful game and fish around these parts.

I have two huge underground fuel tanks, one for oil and one for propane, electricity is supplied by two windmills. We also have a hand pump for water should the brown smelly stuff hit the fan.

It's a lot of work but I wouldn't have it any other way as I love living this life.
Bless me, whereabouts are you ?

I was struck years ago with the story of a couple who flogged their house and bought a canal boat. Mobile minimalism of a sort. Im not quite sure Id survive undivorced if I took that approach . I was just struck by how much we clutter ourselves with and how to live comfortably on less.
A few years back I considered the narrowboat option or a static residential caravan route, the latter has a minimum age criteria & not many sites are all year round.

Plenty of narrowboat projects available if a cramped living style doesn't bother you.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I did an Open Uni project many years ago where I had to design an off grid system. I could choose my location. I chose a cliff top property in Cornwall with a nice south facing roof. Also was a cliff nearby where I could site a wave power generator. In the project I was only able to use two sources. I would of added a wind turbine and ground source heat pumps as well.
Reasons for my choices wee that the Lizard in Cornwall is optimal in UK for solar and the waves are normally pretty good. A wave power generator was also outside of the usual systems to be used. I would super insulate the property and run deep cycle batteries to provide back up at night or calm cloudy days.

if building my own property I’d build it with hay bales, insulation and structure in one natural product. Wool insulation where required. Triple glazed large windows on the South side to benefit from solar heating and small windows on North to reduce heat loss. I’d also fit the sort of white shutters you see on the continent, to reduce heat loss at night and also keep the property cool in summer. I believe these shutters these can be left slightly open to allow air through in combination with inward opening windows.

Best be off to do some hippy shit now. These lentils wont knit themselves you know. I’ll have to dig out what I wrote.

RP.
Try that shiit anywhere North of Manchester.
It always makes me giggle when I see a roof decked in solar panels.
It equally tickles me when I hear people talking about 'electric cars' and doing away with ICE in the next 20 years or less. If we were in Africa I might be interested.

Which state?

I keep looking at land for a retreat - not many good locations that can be had for a Reasonable $ any more ( that fit my criteria anyway).

We live up in the US side of the Northern Rockies close to the Canadian border.
Montana ? Cracking steelhead fishing if so. Id love to go one day and fish the south fork or something.

Latest Threads