Going Large On A CV

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
With all due respect to those here who are members of the TA/AR, I know nothing about them, never worked with etc. only what I've read from comments on the hallowed pages of arrse, I have gained the distinct impression that promotion in the TA/RA is something of a self licking lollipop.
There's also much evidence to suggest that the regular elements of all three services are equally adept at over-promoting weapons-grade bellends.

In the days before the internet, did the less than honest get away with whoppers like this?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
In the days before the internet, did the less than honest get away with whoppers like this?
I can't wait for the time when OJARs and SJARs are released into the public domain.
Many of the "upper third" must compete with the Brothers Grimm for works of fantasy.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Just looked that up - apparently, having been awarded the replacement for the TD, the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VRSM), I am entitled to use the letters VR after my name...

You know, I don't think I'll bother... ;-)
Where did you look it up?

Edit: What I mean is there somewhere I can look up my own records or personnel file?

Be fair, he's hiding his considerable talents under a bushel. He has left out leading the Jews out of Egypt, founding at least one world religion, pulling Excalibur out of a stone and ruling the French as Emperor from 1804 to 1815.

Either that or he's a complete and utter fruitcake.

Last edited:
is there somewhere I can look up my own records or personnel file?
You can apply to the Records Office in Glasgow, Kentigern House (unless it has moved recently).

Don't expect too much. I got mine via my solicitor during a civvy compensation claim. No record of a hip injury on Ascension or an elbow injury in FI, both of which involved X-rays at civvy hospitals. A couple of SJARs but none of the PAMPAS records.

Quite a few duplicated documents and even a couple of 1033s and part of an 1157 (fortunately no record of the Land Rover and Conbat that I lost).

The only earthly use it is, is that I've got a rough idea of how many VRSM clasps they owe me.

Where did you look it up?

Edit: What I mean is there somewhere I can look up my own records or personnel file?
I found the details about the post noms here, but my unit admin officer and SSM did the research and paperwork to get me the medal - I knew nothing about it until I was presented the bling on my dining out night.

MOD linky

Wiki linky

I can't wait for the time when OJARs and SJARs are released into the public domain.
Many of the "upper third" must compete with the Brothers Grimm for works of fantasy.
I suppose we live in an age of bullshit - where telling the truth is regarded with suspicion. The trouble with OJARs and SJARs is that the individual depends on the report writer not disliking them, knowing what they do, and being able to write. They also depend on the reader lacking bias and being able to pay attention to detail.

360 degree reporting would be revealing!

The number of Aston Martins has increased to a "collection", he has now become a racing driver and undertakes parachuting as a hobby. This is a busy life. The Dr prefix and "official friend of China" status has been dropped, which perhaps shows a degree of modesty which befits a man who has "uniquely Commanded, 200,000 Iraqi troops - double the number of soldiers commanded by any living British or European General." Eagerly awaiting the book, and mini series on Netflix.

AVESTU CAPITAL

Steven Windmill
Non-Executive Board Member
London Partner
stevenwindmill@avestu.com

Having worked in the consulting industry for over 25 years, Steven has led a major change management programme that saved £4.3 Billion, executed multi-national deals worth over £200 million pa and negotiated contracts on behalf of the UK Government in excess of £600 million.

He is a sophisticated turnaround change strategist with more than two decades of experience in over 23 global markets and across VC, Private Equity, corporate, government, and military sectors. Areas of expertise include: business and revenue improvement; turnaround of at-risk businesses, projects and programmes; stakeholder satisfaction; pre-deal and post-deal M&As; high-stakes multi-million/billion-dollar negotiations (M&A - sell side & buy side), IPOs, Follow-Ons, Convertibles, Debt).

He received his MBA from Henley Business School and completed degrees at the University of London in Philosophy with further studies at The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom in Military and Strategic Leadership; RMA Sandhurst and the universities of both Durham and Warwick.

He acted as a Professor for Consulting and Change Management at Hult International Business School and became a Board Member with Avestu Institute in 2011.

When Steven is not on a turn-around consulting mission for a multi-national, he enjoys guiding the next cohort of entrepreneurs and consultants. Divorced, he has two grown children. In his spare time, he enjoys parachuting, hill walking and racing his collection of Aston Martins.

The number of Aston Martins has increased to a "collection", he has now become a racing driver and undertakes parachuting as a hobby. This is a busy life. The Dr prefix and "official friend of China" status has been dropped, which perhaps shows a degree of modesty which befits a man who has "uniquely Commanded, 200,000 Iraqi troops - double the number of soldiers commanded by any living British or European General." Eagerly awaiting the book, and mini series on Netflix.

AVESTU CAPITAL

Steven Windmill
London Partner

Having worked in the consulting industry for over 25 years, Steven has led a major change management programme that saved £4.3 Billion, executed multi-national deals worth over £200 million pa and negotiated contracts on behalf of the UK Government in excess of £600 million.

He is a sophisticated turnaround change strategist with more than two decades of experience in over 23 global markets and across VC, Private Equity, corporate, government, and military sectors. Areas of expertise include: business and revenue improvement; turnaround of at-risk businesses, projects and programmes; stakeholder satisfaction; pre-deal and post-deal M&As; high-stakes multi-million/billion-dollar negotiations (M&A - sell side & buy side), IPOs, Follow-Ons, Convertibles, Debt).

He received his MBA from Henley Business School and completed degrees at the University of London in Philosophy with further studies at The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom in Military and Strategic Leadership; RMA Sandhurst and the universities of both Durham and Warwick.

He acted as a Professor for Consulting and Change Management at Hult International Business School and became a Board Member with Avestu Institute in 2011.

When Steven is not on a turn-around consulting mission for a multi-national, he enjoys guiding the next cohort of entrepreneurs and consultants. Divorced, he has two grown children. In his spare time, he enjoys parachuting, hill walking and racing his collection of Aston Martins.
And to think the Grand Old Duke of York only had ten thousand men, but children stiil sing about him.

....uniquely Commanded, 200,000 Iraqi troops - double the number of soldiers commanded by any living British or European General.

Leaving numbers aside, do British or European Generals routinely command Iraqi troops? If the 200 000 Iraqis passed through the place he was in charge of it is not technically a lie, just a distorted truth.

Gentlemen of Arrse, my assessment of the operative words in red in this *ahem* CV indicates that his aim may just be to snag a gold digger or six. If this is the case, we are approaching the ethical inversion bubble where such moonhowlery is considered laudable since the motive is clearly to get his rather chubby plums drained. In other words, it may simply be a rather more elaborate version of the 'dolphin trainer' honeypot ruse.

On the other hand, he may just be a weapons-grade, fur-lined, ocean-going spaztrumpet.

That is all.

Last edited:

AVESTU CAPITAL

Steven Windmill
London Partner

Divorced? I can't think why. Actually, re-reading that pen picture, he could be just the person to fix Brexit.

I always find the display in the Officer's Mess at RAF Odiham to be both fascinating and humbling.
Amazed you found it hidden behind the fruit machines ;)

I found mine useful in the CS and it allowed me to make a sideways move to somewhere that I really wanted to go to. On that basis, I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand.
Same here, my last job required “a business or management qualification” & my C&G was deemed sufficient.

My JPA is hopeless; I'm missing my first 5 years of service.
Mine for years showed I was an APJI on the basis of a basic free fall course at JSPC(L). If I’d been back in the TA or with the cadets when I discovered this might have bunged the wings up ;)