Going Large On A CV

People with vastly long lists of glowing achievements in general do not need, want nor have the time to indulge in excesive self promotiom exercises.
I was thnking along the same lines - with all those high level contacts and networking (300+ senior business/TA officers and 800+ defence/MOD staff ) I would have thought they would be contacting him if really is as good as he says so why the need to advertise?

...and what was his job in the TA?

It doesnt reflect well on the Army that he achieved a reasonable level of seniority while civilian companies evidently proved better judges of character.
With all due respect to those here who are members of the TA/AR, I know nothing about them, never worked with etc. only what I've read from comments on the hallowed pages of arrse, I have gained the distinct impression that promotion in the TA/RA is something of a self licking lollipop.

Territorial Decoration. Basically a 'turned up for enough Annual Camps and wasn't intolerably shite' award for TA officers.

At one point, it was distinctly advantageous for members of the Scottish legal profession to have one if they wanted to become an Advocate.
Just looked that up - apparently, having been awarded the replacement for the TD, the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VRSM), I am entitled to use the letters VR after my name...

You know, I don't think I'll bother... ;-)

@charlie_sage I can vouch for the fact that he was a TA Lt Col circa 2009 and did have an FTRS role enabling the setup of DCSU.

However his contribution was very much organisational - the inspiration, academic and operational leads being provided by others including Mike Martin of this parish. His visits to theatre would have been brief and very much of a cursory trip to “show face and visit the chaps”.

His DCSU contribution was limited to about two years, partly influenced by some misunderstandings about his relationship with a contractor.

That he didn’t stand out as odd at the time is a testament to how many rum characters were on the scene. He didn’t claim to have run an FHT, wear a beige beret, or indulge in nose tapping so he was a grey man, if only relatively speaking. There certainly wasn’t a shortage of portly TA officers indulging a mid life crisis.

It doesnt reflect well on the Army that he achieved a reasonable level of seniority while civilian companies evidently proved better judges of character.

Edited to add - I am normally loathe to indulge in wary of internet-shaming but the podcast and associated comments are nauseating.
You, Sir, are a Master of the Understatement!

With all due respect to those here who are members of the TA/AR, I know nothing about them, never worked with etc. only what I've read from comments on the hallowed pages of arrse, I have gained the distinct impression that promotion in the TA/AR is something of a self licking lollipop.
Agreed; that's the point that I was making. I have seen far too many dodgy promotions.

Mind you, the Regular Army do not help matters either, especially around availability.

You, Sir, are a Master of the Understatement!
Well - I am mindful that while he may well equal Caubeen’s self confidence, he may have rather better recourse to legal advice! I was not privy to chapter and verse, only rumours circulating at the time. Other ARRSErs had a far better vantage point than I.

On the issue of initials, ISTR them as SM on official correspondence.

@charlie_sage I’m surprised that he hasn’t featured on ARRSE before. FWIW while I think he’s worthy of ridicule, I don’t see the merit in a full internet pile-on, entertaining as they are.

He isn’t notably profiting by deception - in fact I see increasing embellishment of his CV as evidence to the contrary. Neither to my knowledge was he - or likely to be - a shit, bully or exploitative. At worst you could say he brings the Army into disrepute by association, although god love us I can easily think of worse - not least most of us deviants and blaggers on this site. This easily accessible thread alone will be enough to warn off anyone whose own BS-defector is so deficient that his own official online footprint doesn’t alarm them.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
Thirteen pages and nobody has connected windmill with Don Quixote, another gentleman with a tenuous grasp on reality.

Just looked that up - apparently, having been awarded the replacement for the TD, the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VRSM), I am entitled to use the letters VR after my name...
The post nominals aren't related to the VRSM. It's just a coincidence.

Reminds me of a couple of ACF senior leaders i have met. As a whole CFAVs do a good job with kids but every now and then there are those bell,ends who have to claim bogus Doctorates and BEMs and who think that 40 + years in the cadets makes them the next Montgomery, whilst not realising that they are not actually Colonels exercising operational control of entire regions of the UK, no matter how much they shout and scream.

Last edited:
@charlie_sage

There certainly wasn’t a shortage of portly TA officers indulging a mid life crisis.

What, precisely,are you implying by your use of the word "portly"?
Is it "I fine you a round of port", portly, or something which suggests a surfeit of stable belt inches?
Whatever, it suggests a state of mind which is ominously close to being considered as an "ism" by the thought police. Harumph.
Pass the port. there's a good fellow.

Thirteen pages and nobody has connected windmill with Don Quixote, another gentleman with a tenuous grasp on reality.
Ah, but for Don Quixote the qualities of a knight included "modesty in words" and "maintenance of the truth".

Ah, but for Don Quixote the qualities of a knight included "modesty in words" and "maintenance of the truth".
He seems to have misunderstood what Chaucer meant by 'parfait gentle knight.'

1546288886079.png

Dumb1

War Hero
11. It is hard to find him as a CEO of a £30M food company, or the COO of an £18bn change programme saving £540 million. Both at Companies House or on the web linkedin to any company website
The £18BN change programme is definitely the Defence Training Review, which he worked on as an SO1. He was charged with preparing a dataset demonstrating course pass rates over a period which would allow a baseline to be established against which betterment could be measured.... IIRC he gathered the wrong data, which caused all sorts of problems....

What, precisely,are you implying by your use of the word "portly"?
Is it "I fine you a round of port", portly, or something which suggests a surfeit of stable belt inches?
Whatever, it suggests a state of mind which is ominously close to being considered as an "ism" by the thought police. Harumph.
Pass the port. there's a good fellow.
I think CC is just far too polite to say 'fat bastard'.

I'm not.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
on facebook he does not appear to have any friends
looking at his postings he appears to spend all day quoting the newspaper

Latest Threads