Going in for Air Tech -- couple of questions

Discussion in 'REME' started by Techjnr, Jul 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all am new to this site seems to be the place to go to get help and discuss :thumright:

I've applied for Aircraft tech and Avionics tech and looking at possibly metalsmith as a third option but focusing on Aircraft tech thats the one i really want I have looked on the army site and am having trouble finding out about the phase 2 training for example

How long is the phase to training?
    Whats involved in phase 2 training aside studying further maths and physics and engineering (electronics for avionics) ?
    Im sure both have phase 2 at Arborfield and phase 1 at pirbright but please correct me if im wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks all :)
  2. You're better off putting this in the REME forum.

Phase 1 is at Pirbright. Phase 2 is at Arborfield for the Tech roles, but Bordon for the Metalsmith role.

Phase 2 training is about 9 months long IIRC, but may have changed? Then you have further equipment courses.

VG will be the man to speak to, or Sparky8. They'll have more up to date gen.
  3. If you get two Nutstranglers together can you call them a TOOL box?
  4. 9 months! good stuff :nod: any info is a great help thanks smudge gonna look into this metalsmith job alot more might be taking second favourite for me will see what opinions people have of it :?
  5. Sack the whole idea and become a VM instead. There's no advantage to becoming an air tech in todays army. The training's harder, longer and more intense, you have more responsibility, every time someone takes off in a cab that you've serviced, their life is in your hands. If you make a mistake, you could be prosecuted in court.
    But of course we're well compensated for these extra responsibilities...no tech pay anymore, no time promotion any more, stagnation at stripey if you don't go tiffy.
    And you're given qualifications that are recognised by the CAA so that you can work on aircraft when you leave the army? NVQs are what aviation maintenance organisations are looking for, aren't they.
    You want to work in aviation....become an apprentice and do your licences, you want to join the army, join the RLC, anyone with half a brain cell flies to WO1 in about 10 years, you want to join the REME be a VM.
    End of chat......
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ....and don't forget the limited postings compared to those available to the rest of the Corp.

I like the way this thread is going, the way I see it the more people we put off going down the BAT route the more chance there is that the powers that be will throw us a bone of some sort.
  7. Soooooooooooooo Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!
  8. Very insitefull comments =| perhaps best to switch avionics with VM might be a good idea then still want to stick with aircraft tech as number 1 though got my heart set on it :nod: can anyone give me any links to find out about VM training locations and how long it is ? and have any idea what life as a metalsmith is like?
  9. Techjnr, the same crap with Aircraft applies also to Avionics, No Tech pay, No accelerated promotion, totally over-stretched with commitments, general lack of support from the Corps as a whole who don't care for anything that isn't land based, working for the AAC pilots who are prima donnas - to such an extent that they won't even get their precious little hand dirty and wash their own windscreens. The trades have both gone so down hill in the last few years all of the joy has been drained from Wattisham. You would do better to go VM, training is shorter, and you'll get to knock off early Wednesdays and Fridays laughing at Techs who'll be working late whilst your at the bar with your VM mates slagging tech off and remarking on how hard techs don't work. Awaiting incoming!
  10. Techjnr

Unfortunately arrse licker shows that he has no idea of whats going on in the Corps as a whole which is another problem within the Avionics/Air Tech world.

At the moment, no one is particularly being looked after by the Corps and no one seems to be getting early knock offs on Wednesday and Fridays. Thats just the way it is unfortunately. We are in hard times and the Corps as a whole is fighting for its survival. It will hopefully get better but who can tell.

As for saying that you should go VM because there isnt any Tech promotion any more is a stupid arguement. The opportunity to go up through the ranks quickly as a tech are still there, its just that you may have to work harder and excel more than your predecessors.

I think that if you can go Tech, you should. The future of the Avionics world is pretty solid, perhaps more so than any other trade plus there are good opportunities in civvy street afterwards
  11. Really Clone, are you a Greeney or just another one of those has beens who think they still know the ins and outs of the Corps?
  12. Why do REME and all the other Army grease monkey trades always drip about not having accelerated promotion? You're mechanics for fúck's sake, irrespective of what gucci names you give yourselves.

Your job is what the naughty retards in school get told to do by their career advisor, and they generally end up managing their local Honda workshop after 20 years in the trade.

Become an Air Tech, and do what Bubba in Canada learned to do during his probation.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. No Arse Licker, Im not a greeny but after 20+ years in the Corps (still serving) and having gotten to WO1(ASM) I think I am able to voice an opinion.

What did I say that was "has been"?
  14. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I agree with Clone Trooper - and comments about becoming a VM instead just come across as a little immature. Did it occur to you (Arrse Licker - nice name by the way), that individuals WANT to be avionics, WANT to be mechanics etc? They don't just do it because it's the trade that gives them the most for doing the least. I know a guy who runs a gym round my place - he picks up £12K a year (plus extras) and yet is one of the happiest guys I've ever met, because he's doing what he loves.

If you think the Corps is $hitting on us from a great height - I urge you first of all, not to bring it up on a public forum in the first place, but also to read the article from the outgoing Regt Col in June Crafty. Some pretty insightful words in that - but the message that came across that I felt, was that because of the way things are in terms of cutbacks, public spending etc that hands are tied across the board, and there's little that can be done to ease the situation. And in the meantime, it is up to us - commanders at all levels - to maintain morale as best we can, look after our troops and make sure they know they are valued, especially in today's Army. You'd be surprised how people will feel when you offer encouragement instead of "we're all doomed, might as well jump ship".

Finally, you'd do well to remember that with vacancy promotion, although it may seem a harsh blow to deal the tech world at first - will mean you will no longer have retards making Sgt just by having the weakest of recommendations. You will actually have Sgts with passion and dedication, Sgts that can lead, make their JRs feel valued and make decisions. And I'm sure all of you at some point in your careers would have come across a few dubious SNCOs and wondered how they ever got there?

We have to make the best of what we have. Twice the professional and all that.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Gents. First off I am a Greeny, I have seen first hand (A) The lack of attention REME in general has shown to the Aviation trades as a whole, and (B) the decline of morale in Wattisham station over the past few years BEFORE the cutbacks kicked in. To talk about morale in Wattisham would be like me trying to tell someone from Tidworth what it was like to live and work there, I can't.

DC, strangely I totally agree with the point about their being totally useless SNCO's because of time promotion, I really do... However no robust plan has been given to us about Class, Trade and Rank places at each unit as a result of this change, leading to general confusion amongst all.

With regard to the point about making do as a result of the SDSR, it's been bad for a lot longer than that. I know the REME as a whole is over stretched, but as the AAC have to constantly remind higher echelons, Helicopter units, although belonging (on paper at least) to a Brigade are a JHC asset and are constantly on the go, undermanning means that whilst certain units are on year on year off rotaion (along with the required PDR training) these units also have to lend their techs to each other.

Clone, I have never, in my experience - ok 10 years isn't as much as yours, but in 10 years in Aviation I have never met a Steam REME who had the slightest inkling of Aviation. Instead all I have heard from Steams about the Aircraft trades is the usual cliche of Warhammer loving, pale skinned, geeks from 10 years ago, sitting on their arses, eating egg banjo's and playing uckers. Or the view that taking an Aircraft trade will mean lots of time off for sports or adventurous training. I'm sorry this again is a dated view. The comment of VM's swanning off to slag us off is however in response to 10 years of VM's slagging of Aviation. In replying to this thread I totally expected the usual tech spanker insults to ping my way.

I have seen, in the last 5 years especially, Class 3's and 2's come through and become increasingly disillusioned at the work hard - play hard ratio swing violently to the work hard - work harder. The young lads are taking their rig off, picking up a pair of Black Coveralls and working for the Civvies here. I'm in until 12 before your asking why I'm still wearing greens.

Avionic quals, are the same as you get going Electronic tech, the only benefit you get is knowing the lads around you, but doing Civvy licenses for Aircraft from Avionics or Electronics is pretty much the same you may get a better general knowledge of Aircraft systems before starting Licensing, but nothing formal, just the same NVQ's.

Techjnr, if you are totally convinced you want to become an Aircraft engineer, and I don't mean you once saw a pic of a Helicopter and thought it looked cool, or you're being told that 'only the best go Aircraft', or you think it's an easy job that will allow you to play rugby or football or go skiing or get your para wings, then seriously before you decide on a trade, before you even think about signing on the dotted line, ask for a walk around Wattisham, come and talk to the lads and find out for yourself not through a computer screen. And if after that you decide Army Aviation is not for you, then I can recommend Civvy companies who do a great job in Aviation Licensing. And if you do decide this is still for you, then at least you will know you came into the trade with full knowledge of what to expect.

My final point is for DC, one word shoved down our throats in trade training is Integrity. Maybe a public forum is not the place to voice my objections, however, Techjnr has asked for an opinion and I'm not going to lie and tell him all is well, come on in!