Going green?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by vvaannmmaann, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone tried using PV panels,wind turbines,hydro turbines etc? Are they worth the financial outlay?
    If you've gone down the FIT path,does it work well?
    Anyone using chip fat or bio fuel to run their car?
  2. PV panels... I used a solar battery charger in Iraq and found that it kept my AA batteries well charged. Given that my solar charger could charge 8 batteries at a time, it was much more efficient than the 2-battery mains charger that I had at the time, especially during power cuts.

Does this help?
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Simple run through from my experience/research.

Wind turbines - don't bother, waste of cash unless you can guarentee a constant medium breeze for 50% of the year minimum

PV cells - on the south coast with the south facing roof they may be worth it, if you can get a feedback tarrif they have a half decent return (10 years or so)

Hydro turbine - best option if you have a constant source of water, decent stream or river, can be done as a DIY project but converstion to 240V is usually a big job. Can be sensibly run at 12V for lighting circuits, but requires light units to be changed.

For heating I'd suggest ground source heat pumps with a solar or hydro electrical source with battery backup. that assumes you have the ground to fit one into and can fit underfloor heating rather than radiators.

Unfortunately post fitting houses with these systems is usually very expensive, if you are building new then the return is much better as you can design the house around the systems, hence boost efficiency and reduce costs.

4. I have been looking into PV cells for a few years. Id wait a awhile as MOORS LWA is also a factor on them. 3 yeras ago a 4.2Kw rig was 30 grand. today its 17 .
  5. Yep, I ran my Volvo 244 GL D6 for years on central heating oil, kerosene and chip oil - whatever I could get. When using kero or central heating oil, you have to make sure that your fuel pump is lubricated, so add some engine oil or use a mix of, say, 40% diesel. And make sure you filter the chip oil.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I run the wifes trade stand at Game fairs using 12 watt solar panels trickling a 110 ah 12 volt liesure cell. Runs a till and a credit card reader along with other minor loads.
  7. Thanks guys.Need to do some more homework I think.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Remember that sometime in the future all these green batteries will be trashed and need disposing! Not very green then!
  9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Using either Gas Oil (central heating oil), or Kerosene (paraffin), to run your vehicle is illegal.

It can result in the vehicle being seized and assessments for the evaded excise duty being issued by HMRC. It can also result in prison terms if the circumstances are aggravated.

You can fairly readily obtain duty paid biodiesel to run your car, or if you can put up with the expense and hassle of making the stuff yourself, manufacture 2300 Litres annually without the need to pay duty.

You do however need to enter your premises with HMRC, maintain production records and show that the fuel is a diesel quality liquid fuel the precise definition can be found in Notice 179E (it's on the HMRC website).
  10. Most of the "green" technology is so over- engineered and over- priced they are just expensive toys.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Make-a-Simple-Solar-Air-Heater.htm this is an interesting idea, it means your house is pre- heated during the day so that the boiler doesn't need to work as hard in the evening (especially if the house is properly insulated)

I put in a wood- stove a couple of years ago that provides most of the heating required, with an efficient gas boiler with good control via thermostatic valves to heat the outlying rooms.

I've located a good source of cheap wood, fiver for a big trailer full ( collected ), I reckon about 12 will keep us toasty next winter, just got to get a couple more......
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a wood which gives me about 3 tonnes a year on an average year and 9 tonnes in a good year. I sell a tonne for £60 -£80 to woodburner folk and they seem pleased at the price. I really should get the house set up for a top pf the range rayburn. Cost about £15k to convert but save itself eventually.
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I have a Nordica wood fired range in the kitchen, which typically gets up to 400c before cooling and allowing us to cook on it. It also heats the kitchen, pantry, entrance hall and the upstairs bed rooms. I also have very large wood-burner in the living room which heats the rest of the house.

The cost of the wood is much less than the oil and electricity that we would have used in the past.

We pay £90-120 for a very large trailer of seasoned wood - never buy green wood it fcuks your chimney - which lasts for about 6-10 weeks depending on (a) the weather and (b) how badly I want to cook huige meals.
  13. Hydro makes a lot of sense if you have running water on your land. Less convince by the others and not at all by wind.

I burn wood. That's environmentally friendly. :)