• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

going from vista back to xp

i have a 15 month old packard bell running pc world preinstalled vista basic

I would like to wipe it & install xp instead.

However both xp disks i try to use go to the blue screen of death after 5 mins. I also get the same using a cd of a product called blanco (hoping to wipe the hd instead)

Is there somthing in the bios i can change to allow it to boot & install xp from a cd ?

Does not sound like a BIOS issue, were you getting the same effect with Vista?

You might also run into licensing issues doing this.

msr

vista was preinstalled on a recovery partition, & did not do anything similar last time i recovered it

I do have a correctly licensed version of xp so that shouldnt be an issue

Possibly be the Hard Drive Controller which you could change in the bios back to a 'Legacy' setting or try ATA, I'm guessing it might be setup for AHCI which the XP CD won't have the drivers for.

1. Destroy both partitions
2. Create 1 new partition taking up all the space on the hard disk, and make it "active"
3. Boot from XP disc (assuming you have a valid serial number)

The rest I assume you know. Those Packard Bell machines are shit, are not set up correctly in the first place and are built down to a price from the lowest bidder, usually from Gericom, ECS, Hi grade, iwill, Medion or asus.

The Tech Guys (fcuk off) website will have the drivers for your system - it uses the computer's asset tag number to ID your product.

vista is pish

it rarely if ever recognises my blackberry
fills up the hd for no good reason
crashes outlook almost everyday
& has the most complex & unnecessary security

& it has yet to enter the work enviroment in sufficient numbers for me to see any value in getting the "practice " from it

:)

two_of_seven said:
vista is pish

it rarely if ever recognises my blackberry
fills up the hd for no good reason
crashes outlook almost everyday
& has the most complex & unnecessary security

& it has yet to enter the work enviroment in sufficient numbers for me to see any value in getting the "practice " from it

:)
I have a Vaio SR19 which came with Vista. It was the dogs danglies; recognised my BB, quick as lightning and very stable. I had to 'upgrade' to XP for a particular works program, couldn't be arse to partition the drive to run both, and have regretted XP ever since. It's much slower; less stable and doesn't seem as easy to use as a well setup Vista OS.

Vista and stable/fast just dont belong in the same sentance unless prefixed with un- !

I'm quite happy staying with XP (granted the x64 version) rather than re-downgrading to vista. Same with windows 7. Why microsoft had to go and change everything (example, control panel) so its hidden away or have to go through several places to get to something is beyond me and does my nut in.

I have some work stuff that only runs on XP, so I run XP inside a VMWare Virtual Machine on Windows 7.

Microsoft Virtual PC is a free type of this software. Works quite well

Acidcrash said:
Vista and stable/fast just dont belong in the same sentance unless prefixed with un- !

I'm quite happy staying with XP (granted the x64 version) rather than re-downgrading to vista. Same with windows 7. Why microsoft had to go and change everything (example, control panel) so its hidden away or have to go through several places to get to something is beyond me and does my nut in.

1 it's not hidden away it's on the chuffing start menu.
2 You can always select classic Control Panel to have things how you liked it.

To be honest i am more than happy with Vista. Having used all versions (except ME) since windows 3.1.

verticalgyro said:
If your HD is SATA, you are not going to be able to boot from a CD or DVD on initial install. XP doesn't have the drivers for it. There is a work-around but it's more trouble than it is worth - I tried to do it on my brother in laws laptop when i repaired it for him, and it just got me frustrated.

I would advise reinstalling vista (yes I know it's s***), then buying Windows 7 when it is released at the end of October. Been running the RC for two months now and it's brilliant.
I had this issue on a retrograding job for a client. Slipstreaming WinXP Service Pack 3 into an XP disk burn solved the driver issue for me.

ark-angel said:
Acidcrash said:

To be honest i am more than happy with Vista. Having used all versions (except ME) since windows 3.1.

wrong.
in XP, you can get to network connections in one step direct from start menu, in vista you have to go through control panel > network sharing > network connections and yes, that is on classic :roll:

Acidcrash said:
ark-angel said:
Acidcrash said:

wrong.
in XP, you can get to network connections in one step direct from start menu, in vista you have to go through control panel > network sharing > network connections and yes, that is on classic :roll:

You never said that you said control panel. :p

Acidcrash said:
ark-angel said:
Acidcrash said:
wrong.
Wrong. In Vista you just rightclike on the network icon in the notification area and open the network and sharing centre. Windows 7 is the same.

Simples.

Latest Threads