going for the tough mudder next year

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Furnace, Oct 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. as stated above, im entering the tough mudder next year, here is a link for those that doesn't know what it is Tough Mudder - Probably the Toughest Event on the Planet

basically im looking for a training program that will get me in shape for it. Its a long way off so i'm going to start training for it in January. Any ideas? i need a program that trains all-round fitness, strength and endurance. I was thinking maybe a Para or a Commando program? but i have no idea where to get one, google just shows stuff like the RM recruiting page etc

any help greatly received guys
  2. It looks exactly the same as Tough Guy to me... basically get out running off road. A couple of short sharp runs, with a longer run at the weekend of say 10 miles. Some hill reps to get strength into your legs for any boggy/wet/hilly sections and to get used to the stop/start nature of it. Basic press ups and pull ups will give you all the upper body strength that you need for it. If it is anything like Tough Guy unless you can get yourself shoved to the front at the beginning then you will end up queuing to get over obstacles so its worth pushing on early. I would recommend wearing reasonably close fitting clothing to stop getting caught on things and a pair of cycle gloves or similar for any climbing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. There are so many stops and choke points on these types of courses that fitness doesnt really come into it. You wont be able to do a blistering time! Endurance though is key. You will be tired, wet and cold, so motivation and cramp will be the key factors. Get yourself a pair of grippy trail shoes and like sneak said do plenty of hill reps and cross country running. Longer road runs will help with your staying power.
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Try a race like the Pewsey Terminator to get an idea for the XC running aspect. It's a long and hilly 11 miles.

Pewsey Vale Running Club

Then do loads of assault course and gym type stuff on top.

Look at those prices, isn't this all free in the Army?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Anyone on here live near Kettering? Due to my usual bad admin (wife's mate's birthday do on fri night) I will be driving up late fri night and probably parking up before registration at oh-**** hundred sat morning. I see from the Tough Mudder website that they don't allow camping or overnight parking at the event car park, so would be grateful for somewhere to crash/ park from late fri to early sat.
  6. I didn't realise they run one for OAPs too! :)
  7. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Hardy ******* har, I'm not too old to put your mum (or sister, I'm not fussy) over my knee and give 'em a good spanking.