Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Going dry

Just finished my Sunday meeting. Feeling rotten but went anyway. As someone at the meeting put it for me, you would have gone to the pub feeling like this wouldn’t you.

Was the closest ever to cracking last night at about 23:40. Stuff piling up, & while I accept MrsPlume & I won’t be getting back together (& to an extent feel freed because of this) I still think it’s a tragedy how things ended up, & more so that I don’t get to see MasterPlume.

Didn’t have a drink though. Took a lot of contemplation, but I survived & am OK now...

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it's fairly routine when an alkie puts down the booze, that the rock bottom just keeps on going down and down. It didn't feel fair to me, like here I am trying to be better, yet these kicks in the balls just keep happening.

Eventually I found myself a good solid step orientated sponsor, which was hugely helpful, if not a bit weird to start with.

Anyway, keep stacking up those sober days!

I know I'm stating the obvious, but it's fairly routine when an alkie puts down the booze, that the rock bottom just keeps on going down and down. It didn't feel fair to me, like here I am trying to be better, yet these kicks in the balls just keep happening.

Eventually I found myself a good solid step orientated sponsor, which was hugely helpful, if not a bit weird to start with.

Anyway, keep stacking up those sober days!

Cheers, @Whey_Aye_Banzai

I thought my rock bottom was Oct 17 when MrsPlume left me. I gave up alcohol then via NHS treatment & acupuncture. Didn’t last, & things kept getting worse. More rock bottoms.

I’m now working through the steps very gradually & living by the Serenity Prayer. What causes MrsPlume to be unpleasant is untreatable, so I try to have the serenity to accept that.

She wasn’t the cause of my problems, but exacerbated them. As a Narcissist she knew when I was down, which buttons to press to tip me over to drink, & then revelled in her own moral high ground...

Cheers, @Whey_Aye_Banzai

I thought my rock bottom was Oct 17 when MrsPlume left me. I gave up alcohol then via NHS treatment & acupuncture. Didn’t last, & things kept getting worse. More rock bottoms.

I’m now working through the steps very gradually & living by the Serenity Prayer. What causes MrsPlume to be unpleasant is untreatable, so I try to have the serenity to accept that.

She wasn’t the cause of my problems, but exacerbated them. As a Narcissist she knew when I was down, which buttons to press to tip me over to drink, & then revelled in her own moral high ground...

I think the ultimate rock bottom is death. Everything else is just relative for alcoholics.

Cheers, @Whey_Aye_Banzai

Your ex might've had some mental issues; obviously I don't know the situation, but it's common for alkies to joke that "once I got sober, my family straightened themselves out", as if they were the ones with the problem.

I'd say I hated my ex-wife, but it took me a while to see that it was me that drove her mental. It can't be easy living an alkie. Imagine living day-after-day with some drunk/distant/angry/tetchy/below par/self centred human being?

Some of our exes deserve medals for putting up with us for so long.

I just feel a bit sad about my behaviour and my ex; I have tried to make amends with her, but she was more interested in putting the boot in, so I moved on. I hope she has too.

I had a glass of wine last night.
Just one as the mrs had poured it. Tbh, I didn't really enjoy it at all.

I've never enjoyed a glass of wine in my life. What's a glass of wine going to do for you?

Weird.

(A couple of bottles maybe?)

I've got a shed load of booze in the house to give away to clients. At least these days the clients actually receive them.

Your ex might've had some mental issues; obviously I don't know the situation, but it's common for alkies to joke that "once I got sober, my family straightened themselves out", as if they were the ones with the problem.

I'd say I hated my ex-wife, but it took me a while to see that it was me that drove her mental. It can't be easy living an alkie. Imagine living day-after-day with some drunk/distant/angry/tetchy/below par/self centred human being?

Some of our exes deserve medals for putting up with us for so long.

I just feel a bit sad about my behaviour and my ex; I have tried to make amends with her, but she was more interested in putting the boot in, so I moved on. I hope she has too.

Thanks again. I sometimes struggle with the reality of being an alcoholic-I didn’t even daily drink. I was more into big binges but these might only be a couple of times a year.

I’m now reconciled to my condition. Sobriety has led me to realise the problems with MrsPlume. OK I would be a periodic nightmare, but it wasn’t all the time.

I’m afraid that since we’ve been apart & I’ve made efforts to get sober (& now am, 24 hours at a time) she’s become physically ill & her behaviour more & more bizarre & extreme. Now I won’t defend her blindly as I did friends are pointing out things about her they’d never dared to say & I’d not noticed.

I feel sorry for her & her mother that they’re so consumed with hate for me, & pray for them. The person I feel most sorry for, though, is MasterPlume...

Probably will be my last 2 days of staying booze free. Will be 10 months on the 23rd (Sun) exactly since I've been "dry." The longest stretch in recent memory. Was going to be just 3months initially, then became 6 and now will be 10 months. I am sure my body has appreciated the break. Has been an interesting experience. Lost some weight, not much, have been eating a lot healthier, sleeping a lot better, saved a ton of money - tho, it's been gone other ways. Generally has been a positive experience, if a bit hard at times, especially considering the cracking summer we had. There were plenty of times when I wanted to chuck it in and grab a cold brew on a warm day. And plenty of occasions for it. Lot's of friends, girls, barbies, parties etc. over the summer. Still, I am glad I did it.

Likely will have the first drink to break my dry spell on the morning of Xmas eve. Funnily enough, not actually looking forward to it. Just weird.

Hope everyone's doing well and is looking forward to get a break from work over the holidays. And those who want to abstain from booze, keep doing so. I, for one, will try and moderate my intake a lot more next year. Will try to anyways..

Probably will be my last 2 days of staying booze free. Will be 10 months on the 23rd (Sun) exactly since I've been "dry." The longest stretch in recent memory. Was going to be just 3months initially, then became 6 and now will be 10 months. I am sure my body has appreciated the break. Has been an interesting experience. Lost some weight, not much, have been eating a lot healthier, sleeping a lot better, saved a ton of money - tho, it's been gone other ways. Generally has been a positive experience, if a bit hard at times, especially considering the cracking summer we had. There were plenty of times when I wanted to chuck it in and grab a cold brew on a warm day. And plenty of occasions for it. Lot's of friends, girls, barbies, parties etc. over the summer. Still, I am glad I did it.

Likely will have the first drink to break my dry spell on the morning of Xmas eve. Funnily enough, not actually looking forward to it. Just weird.

Hope everyone's doing well and is looking forward to get a break from work over the holidays. And those who want to abstain from booze, keep doing so. I, for one, will try and moderate my intake a lot more next year. Will try to anyways..
Excuse me, but I have a bit of an Emperor's new clothes question - If you're not looking forward to your first drink, and you sleep better, feel healthier, and save money then why are you going to start drinking again?

Excuse me, but I have a bit of an Emperor's new clothes question - If you're not looking forward to your first drink, and you sleep better, feel healthier, and save money then why are you going to start drinking again?

Don't know...Xmas? Maybe as a treat for all this abstinence? I dunno...hard to explain. I will be spending Xmas this year with relative strangers, so let's see how it goes. I am not saying I will or won't, but if someone offers me a good drink, I won't actively refuse it. That's my feeling anyways.

It is weired going dry. I was walking around Morrison’s today with SWMBO, she asked if I was getting any port or anything else? “No, I don’t feel like it now”, there’s nearly twenty bottles of red in my wine rack, she doesn’t drink red wine I loved it but just can’t bring myself to try any. There’s also several bottles and cans in the pantry just sat there looking all out of place. It will be a year come mid February.
What have I done?
I truly have confused myself.

It is weired going dry. I was walking around Morrison’s today with SWMBO, she asked if I was getting any port or anything else? “No, I don’t feel like it now”, there’s nearly twenty bottles of red in my wine rack, she doesn’t drink red wine I loved it but just can’t bring myself to try any. There’s also several bottles and cans in the pantry just sat there looking all out of place. It will be a year come mid February.
What have I done?
I truly have confused myself.

Ummmmm.
You're not far away from me.....I can help with that red wine mate.;)

I gave up the drink.

Then my car engine blew up.

Then my ******* hard drive died.

Then my mother fucknig died.

Then a tidal wave came and destroyed my town.

Then the winning numbers I had didn't get written down propelry (sic, hic) by the **** they were supposed to.

Then I found out I had cancer.

Easy to give up the drink.

Judge not, you fecking cnuts...