Going dry

The 70s army taught me to drink, the 80s Met carried on the movement but I eventually grew out of it. In my 60s now, and if I have a rare glass of wine I feel like cr*p over for the rest of the week so that rare glass is never likely to become a constant.

I slipped up last night. Wanted to stay sober - have been good for a while, but was catching up with a friend who I haven't seen for 10 years who insisted we have a couple of pints. Now feel guilty.

Yeah. No Alcohol at all for the rest of the week.
What's the best way to safely detox in the UK? I did it last time, by bare knuckling it, but was not fun at all. I want to have a sober stretch again this year, especially as I am looking into new jobs and stuff, but withdrawals are not fun. So wanted to ask.

A small tip I learned for what it's worth, to help me cut back on the booze (perhaps it's been mentioned elsewhere) is to calculate the savings you make and spend it on something solid.

Now this is where I come across as weird but I collect gold and silver coins. You work out what you saved on booze and buy a little Britannia or a Maple Leaf or a dinar. Soon you have this collection of bullion coins and you become like one of these cartoon misers, taking them out and looking at them, holding them in your hand. And you start to realise just how much of this stuff you pissed against a wall over the years.

You start resenting spending money on booze, you look at the booze prices in a shop and you think how much gold you could have with that.

It sounds insane but it's a great little hobby and gives you a small reward for staying off the stuff and incidentally after a year or two you have a nice wee nest egg, just don't let your wife know :p
When I gave up smoking I did much the same. Early 20s, setting up home, bought a fridge and a washing machine, then furniture and TV. Not all new but all paid for from the cigarette savings.

First time on here. 5 or 6 pints in. I only went down to the pub for a couple and said I'd be back in a couple of hours and I was. But I rammed the beers down because I only had a couple of hours. She knows, but isn't saying that she knows, that I'm a bit pissed, and I'm a bit ashamed, because now I'm going to put my 6 year old to bed..

My social life revolves around the drink. If I don't drink I'll lose what few friends have.

I gave up the smokes 6 years ago and no problems. Easy. But I think I need to cut the drink down a lot, but TBH, it's the best bit of my life.

It\s a bit shit isn't it?
I can't really see a way out.
These friends who only like you when you are drunk....

Real friends you can rely on, are they?

Wife and child - more likely to care deeply for you. I would say they are your way out.

What's the best way to safely detox in the UK? I did it last time, by bare knuckling it, but was not fun at all. I want to have a sober stretch again this year, especially as I am looking into new jobs and stuff, but withdrawals are not fun. So wanted to ask.
If you’re that bad you need a proper detox under medical attention. There’s a long wait for NHS ones (a couple of mates in the Fellowship have had to do so) but I gather a home detox can be done privately for about £1.5k.

Only other options I know of are white knuckle, a treatment centre, or the Fellowship. Good luck...

Oh, & I may have successfully 12th Stepped the person close to me who is in desperate need of the Fellowship. Helped that he’s recently suffered a fall & fractured humerus while pissed, & just before I arrived to bring him a morale parcel he was told he needs surgery at short notice as it’s not mending.

Key in the door of willingness as he’s always sneered at AA in the past & told me to feck off if I mention it. Instead we talked for nearly two hours about my experience, strength & hope. Now I’m praying he pushes the door open. With the working arm, obvs...

I haven't given up completely , I have however cut back on the grog hugely.

No little drinks midweek, and no huge benders on a weekend. (Failed that on Friday evening tbh). Mrs is working this weekend, so instead of going on the piss, I'm going to be going fishing.

In honour of Counterpart, I have a 330ml of Berlin-brewed San Diego style IPA in the fridge at home, which I shall drink when I get round to watching Season 1 Episode 8. And at 5.7% it will be plenty. I enjoy a beer occasionally but I no longer go overboard.

Nanny State, Peroni Libero, and Freedamm all now available at Sainsburys. Hence my not trying any beers yet...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nanny State, Peroni Libero, and Freedamm all now available at Sainsburys. Hence my not trying any beers yet...
The selection seems to be growing by the day. I gave up booze 11 months ago and back then the choice was pretty much Becks Blue and that was it. Finding Heineken Zero for sale was cause for celebration.

Even my provincial rural town Sainsburys has 4 or 5 AF beers, 3 different AF "spirits", plus a variety of ciders, G&T alternatives, wines (the less said about them the better) and prosecco type things.

This can only be a good thing. More choice means more competition, which means manufacturers will have to up their game and make their products better.

Are you seriously drinking enough to trigger withdrawal symptoms? I thought you had knocked booze on the head recently or at least that's what you said this morning?

I slipped up last night. Wanted to stay sober - have been good for a while, but was catching up with a friend who I haven't seen for 10 years who insisted we have a couple of pints. Now feel guilty.
Not to get into a 'I'm a more dysfunctional drinker than you' competition but I was regularly putting back 20 or more units each night and quit. The worst I had was a few nights of insomnia, a sweet tooth and horrendous runny shit for the best part of a week.

Having been out of the Army for 5 years now [actually nearer 6] I realise just how much I drank. Now I do have the odd session with a few pals and a snort in the evening, but shift work means I drink less. Mornings means being up at 6, evenings means getting back late and nights is nights. Also even the hint of being impaired through drink is going to be a career stopper. We were told in training that anyone coming in 'worse for wear' could expect to be breathalysed and the limit for duty was 12 [i.e. one third the drink drive limit].

One thing being a copper has shown me is just how prevalant drink driving is. We are a rural community and every day there are people in the bin having blown over and it's not 'just over'. Yes I nicked a lad who blew 47 at the roadside and 42 in custody - but the usual figure is much higher. I was driving home after evenings on Friday so about 0300 Saturday morning. The car in front was weaving so I called 999 and reported the VRM, direction of travel and concern. The next shift I discovered that one of the Rats [Traffic officers] had found him and he blew 100.

he'll get a 2 year ban or even more as it is a second offence but round our way a lot of disqualified drivers just carry on drinking and driving. I fucking hate them.

I drink drove once many many years ago. NEVER AGAIN.

Even today, if I drink the car keys stay in the house , and if I think I just might have booze in my system the following morning then the car stays put.
I ******* HATE drink drivers.

You might find Librium useful. Discus with a GP. Of course you would have to have the willpower to not drink while taking it.

34 years in the Army means I like I drink. Never lately on a school night but on Friday and Saturday, standby. I read this thread when Ravers started it and thought his bonce operation had caused him to go haywire! I dismissed it of course. However, his story struck a cord somewhere with me and now I find it’s April and since the New Year I’ve only had a couple of G&Ts in that time. I firstly switched to non alcoholic beer and have even started to go off that. The beer fridge is full, but, strangely I am no longer pulled towards it. I also do medal mounting for mates and only charge a bottle. The bottles are all lying unopened. Damm you Ravers!

Latest Threads