Going dry

Love it, Mr CP. serious TT position going on there. If you haven’t already found them, Bikeradar has an excellent forum for everything from training help to second hand bits to a general chat section.
I’d like to assume that position but my gut gets in the way. Mates say the MTB I ride should stand for My Tubby Belly ;)

Working on it, though...

Question, Old Stab: do you find fishing addictive? I only ask as I recall reading a Biography about Eric Clapton a while ago. He switched drug use to drinking (and more drug use) for sobriety, but shifted to other “interests “, one of which was fly fishing.
Just saying this as one obsession can soon lead to another. Obsessions ain’t healthy.
Addictive?

I'm 46, I've been fishing since I was 5 years old.

I’d like to assume that position but my gut gets in the way. Mates say the MTB I ride should stand for My Tubby Belly ;)

Working on it, though...
Everyone should work on their Tubby Belly. Seriously, I am trying to get back to normal mental health with good diet, sleep and exercise, which for me is cycling. Just have to avoid the pub stops.
Is the ride for charity? Link?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Question, Old Stab: do you find fishing addictive? I only ask as I recall reading a Biography about Eric Clapton a while ago. He switched drug use to drinking (and more drug use) for sobriety, but shifted to other “interests “, one of which was fly fishing.
Just saying this as one obsession can soon lead to another. Obsessions ain’t healthy.
Clapton used to be massively into shooting too and was a regular former customer of mine.

He came and did the factory tour once and got chatting to one of our actioners who had some hand tied flies on his bench. Niceties were exchanged and they chatted about fishing for a bit.

Anyway a few weeks later I get a phone call:

“Hi there can I speak to Phil please?”

“Yes of course who shall I say is calling?”

“Tell him it’s Eric.”

So I go and tell Phil that some bloke called Eric is on the blower for him.

“I don’t know anyone called Eric.”

“Well he specifically asked for you mate, you better talk to him.”

Of course it was Eric Clapton inviting Phil on a fishing trip.

They became firm friends and their fishing trips became a regular thing.

Clapton used to be massively into shooting too and was a regular former customer of mine.

He came and did the factory tour once and got chatting to one of our actioners who had some hand tied flies on his bench. Niceties were exchanged and they chatted about fishing for a bit.

Anyway a few weeks later I get a phone call:

“Hi there can I speak to Phil please?”

“Yes of course who shall I say is calling?”

“Tell him it’s Eric.”

So I go and tell Phil that some bloke called Eric is on the blower for him.

“I don’t know anyone called Eric.”

“Well he specifically asked for you mate, you better talk to him.”

Of course it was Eric Clapton inviting Phil on a fishing trip.

They became firm friends and their fishing trips became a regular thing.
I think EC was one of those extraordinarily annoying people who as well as being an addict/obsessive also had an excellent memory. Sounds to me like an awful combination but perhaps it saved him.

There is just something about being close to nature and close to the water for me.
I fly fish, coarse, sea, boat and beach fish. I'm never happier than when I'm fishing. Even if I don't catch, it's still nice to be out and about watching nature do her thing.

I have today taken the funeral of a bloke who was in his early thirties and who drank himself to death. Nice wife (estranged) and two young kids. Poor sod was yellow when he died, he had a good job and apparently a nice life until his boozing hit a huge high about 6 years ago. His family had tried to help him but sadly he did not want to be helped.

Two of his 'Mates' turned up at the funeral and tried to pour a bottle of JD over his coffin as it was going into the ground. Thankfully the undertaker saw them and managed to get them away before too much of a scene was caused. I walked through the graveyard after the grave had been filled in. These two Herberts were sitting on the mound of earth drinking the bottle of JD and I am afraid I lost it with them. I have never seen two people go from a sitting start to a full on sprint in such a short time before. One of the cheeky buggers called at the Parsonage an hour later asking for his bottle back. He got short-thrift.

It made me think about the amount I drink, alcoholism is a huge problem among the clergy. In this area alone there are two alcoholics who still function and two who have been dry for years. I think perhaps I need to seriously cut down on my intake as I have found that the nightcap is getting larger as time goes on and the bottle of ale is no longer a 3% session beer, but 6% or 7% loopy-juice.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have today taken the funeral of a bloke who was in his early thirties and who drank himself to death. Nice wife (estranged) and two young kids. Poor sod was yellow when he died, he had a good job and apparently a nice life until his boozing hit a huge high about 6 years ago. His family had tried to help him but sadly he did not want to be helped.

Two of his 'Mates' turned up at the funeral and tried to pour a bottle of JD over his coffin as it was going into the ground. Thankfully the undertaker saw them and managed to get them away before too much of a scene was caused. I walked through the graveyard after the grave had been filled in. These two Herberts were sitting on the mound of earth drinking the bottle of JD and I am afraid I lost it with them. I have never seen two people go from a sitting start to a full on sprint in such a short time before. One of the cheeky buggers called at the Parsonage an hour later asking for his bottle back. He got short-thrift.

It made me think about the amount I drink, alcoholism is a huge problem among the clergy. In this area alone there are two alcoholics who still function and two who have been dry for years. I think perhaps I need to seriously cut down on my intake as I have found that the nightcap is getting larger as time goes on and the bottle of ale is no longer a 3% session beer, but 6% or 7% loopy-juice.
The bloke who did my wedding was a full blown alchy. Shitfaced every single time I met him, for the initial couple of meetings, wedding rehearsals and on the day itself.

Apparently he’d replaced another vicar who was politely asked to move on because he was caught getting amongst the communion wine.

Piss heads the lot of you.

Everyone should work on their Tubby Belly. Seriously, I am trying to get back to normal mental health with good diet, sleep and exercise, which for me is cycling. Just have to avoid the pub stops.
Is the ride for charity? Link?
Sorry. Just got back from an AA meeting, wasn’t looking at phone.

Having finally got sober last August, & started riding a week after my last drink, nutrition (or at least cutting out the crap between healthy meals) is next on cards. A little bit at a time, moved onto dried fruit from chocolate!

The ride is indeed for charity, Royal British Legion Industries. Sign up page with more details here.

The bloke who did my wedding was a full blown alchy. Shitfaced every single time I met him, for the initial couple of meetings, wedding rehearsals and on the day itself.

Apparently he’d replaced another vicar who was politely asked to move on because he was caught getting amongst the communion wine.

Piss heads the lot of you.
It is rife unfortunately, various thoughts exist to why it happens. Frustration, loneliness, stress or just being social.
Who knows?

You will be pleased ( or not) to know that the wedding is still completely valid even if the cleric is completely smashed of his box.
However, if either the bride or groom are seriously impaired the wedding should not take place. I have delayed a wedding for two hours whilst a groom was being sobered up.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It is rife unfortunately, various thoughts exist to why it happens. Frustration, loneliness, stress or just being social.
Who knows?

You will be pleased ( or not) to know that the wedding is still completely valid even if the cleric is completely smashed of his box.
However, if either the bride or groom are seriously impaired the wedding should not take place. I have delayed a wedding for two hours whilst a groom was being sobered up.
I totally get how you could develop a taste for booze in your line of work.

There is always a party after a wedding / christening / funeral that you guys get invited to. Rude not to have a tipple when offered.

Likewise there is the general flock tending. Going round to old Mrs Miggins’ house to make sure she’s ok.

“What’s that Mrs Miggins? Of course I’ll have a sherry with you, it’s past 2 o’clock, why not?”

We buried my mother in law about 3 weeks ago and the vicar (who we know reasonably well) has been around a few times to make sure everyone is ok and the post funeral tidying / sorting is going ok.

A nice touch I thought. It hadn’t really occurred to me that there is an element of aftercare too.

However, if either the bride or groom are seriously impaired the wedding should not take place.
Bloody hell, is that the case? If our vicar had been trained to spot mental illness MrsPlume & I would never have been allowed to marry ;)

There is just something about being close to nature and close to the water for me.
I fly fish, coarse, sea, boat and beach fish. I'm never happier than when I'm fishing. Even if I don't catch, it's still nice to be out and about watching nature do her thing.
Water is one of the most soothing things to me. No matter what I do, even a simple walk along the river, I feel it calms me down so much. Even if I lost a phone of mine in the Thames while jogging along in the rain (yes, I used to, once upon a time!). :)

Never was into fishing though....even if I used to go along with my old man and some friends just grad a few drinks and chill while bobbing about in the boat.

I totally get how you could develop a taste for booze in your line of work.
Reflecting back, the other day as I was thinking about everything - I realized that my last job really did bring me to where I am in terms of my relationship with alcohol. I am not blaming them or anything, as I should have had some self control.

I always drank a lot, I guess, but mainly binge drinking but very few during the week, apart from the occasional one. And never at work.

Hear me out here. At my last job, I was working in the City as a consultant where I traveled a lot (yeah! free airplane booze) pretty much on the plane every two weeks - hotels (bored - so more booze, this time on expenses), regular evening invites with colleagues for a "drink" - more booze, taking clients out - more booze, regular weekly free drink events, even within the office (I mean I don't know how many times I was sitting at my desk with a beer or glass of wine, can't refuse free drinks right?) - more booze. And top of it all, you have friends etc for drinks or whatever and I can honestly say that for apart from the 11 months stretch last year, I was pretty much sozzled the whole of last 5 years. I sometimes wonder how the hell, I managed to do all of the work I did, while getting promoted and everything else I did.

And before I realized, it all crept up on me and here I am.

I hear it a lot in the Fellowship, how alcoholics are attracted to jobs which have a reputation for free-flowing alcohol. In my case the Army & the City.

One of our Secretaries is a former wine merchant (got sober while still in the wine trade) & I meet plenty of former publicans, cellarmen & so on. In my case many friends & former colleagues never had me down as a drunk, just someone at the top end of the consumption charts.

I was well-camouflaged among a good gang of serious drinkers. Many drank as much as me, done drank like me.

I hear it a lot in the Fellowship, how alcoholics are attracted to jobs which have a reputation for free-flowing alcohol. In my case the Army & the City.

One of our Secretaries is a former wine merchant (got sober while still in the wine trade) & I meet plenty of former publicans, cellarmen & so on. In my case many friends & former colleagues never had me down as a drunk, just someone at the top end of the consumption charts.

I was well-camouflaged among a good gang of serious drinkers. Many drank as much as me, done drank like me.
When I was confessing and being open to a few friends about my alcoholism - let's be honest, I am probably one - they couldn't believe it. I hid it so well and for the outside world so put together.

I mean, even my own GFs who I lived with couldn't figure out most of the time if I was drunk or not, after a serious amount of stuff put away.

Had a rather miserable Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks back. Looked like divorce meant I was going to have to sell my house & found I’d seriously damaged a bearing on the rear wheel of my road bike, which I couldn’t afford to repair. Should have done a spot check inventory to pin down how these were affecting me, but had a kip instead. Didn’t drink, & funny thing was both these issues were resolved that evening.

All being well I keep my house. That means, when I finally get access to MasterPlume he will have a bedroom here & I now know where he’s living-close enough to get to see me. Divorce barrister friend says MrsPlume can do very little to stop contact as the boy is 12 & his wishes will trump all especially as I’m now sober.
Good news!

Little celebration on Friday.
Mrs bought me 4 bottles of nice beer as a treat.
unfortunately it was Mckewans champion at 7.3%.

Then I started on the whisky. Can't remember going to bed but woke up with my jeans still on and a ******* FEROCIOUS hangover.

On the plus side, I didn't swamp the bed.

I think the most I've had to drink since November's a bottle of wine & a litre of beer, which is a far cry from the 2-3 litres of beer every night plus a bottle of wine on top every two or three nights.
Definitely have more energy & more awake in the mornings, though I'm spending a lot less time in bed (7 hours max - usually 6).

Latest Threads