Going dry

I did something like that with giving up smoking from being a 50 a day addict.
Saved up for a house for three years, paid off the rest in four & bought another three years ago which will be paid off in two (rent income's paying off the rest).
Well done!

An old friend posted me a picture of a Morgan roadster he had bought recently, I expressed shock at such an expensive treat. He said he paid for it out of the money he had saved from giving up smoking three years ago.

It really is shocking how much money we piss against a wall or set fire to.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Same here when I did dry January. Other people have suggested that your body is used to a relatively high blood sugar level (alcohol and beer sugars being rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream). Your body compensates for not having that 'normal' sugar available by craving sweet things.

I don't know if it's true but definitely plausible and I experienced the same thing. When I stopped mid-week drinking it wasn't an issue as I got absolutely spasticated at the weekends. During January I couldn't just tough it out until the weekend and I think I bought more chocolate and sweets that month than I did in the previous two years.
Yep. Same here.

For my entire adult life I’ve been the cheese board guy when we go out for a meal.

Since I stopped boozing I’ve actually started wanting sweet deserts and eating chocolate at home.

It’s tailing off now though, I’m not turning into a fat **** who troughs loads of sweets, I just occasionally fancy a chocolate bar now and then.

10 months off the booze now.

Last edited:
First time on here. 5 or 6 pints in. I only went down to the pub for a couple and said I'd be back in a couple of hours and I was. But I rammed the beers down because I only had a couple of hours. She knows, but isn't saying that she knows, that I'm a bit pissed, and I'm a bit ashamed, because now I'm going to put my 6 year old to bed..

My social life revolves around the drink. If I don't drink I'll lose what few friends have.

I gave up the smokes 6 years ago and no problems. Easy. But I think I need to cut the drink down a lot, but TBH, it's the best bit of my life.

It\s a bit shit isn't it?
I can't really see a way out.

First time on here. 5 or 6 pints in. I only went down to the pub for a couple and said I'd be back in a couple of hours and I was. But I rammed the beers down because I only had a couple of hours. She knows, but isn't saying that she knows, that I'm a bit pissed, and I'm a bit ashamed, because now I'm going to put my 6 year old to bed..

My social life revolves around the drink. If I don't drink I'll lose what few friends have.

I gave up the smokes 6 years ago and no problems. Easy. But I think I need to cut the drink down a lot, but TBH, it's the best bit of my life.

Quit the drink and you'll make new ones. Generally better than the drinking buddy ones.

There is a transition and it isn't easy, but it can be done and has been by many people right here on this thread. Six months after you quit you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

When you cut down/out alcohol from your life your social life does change but life changes anyway. Those people you thought of as boring farts that don't drink actually, in many cases, become quite interesting people with different hobbies and interests other than booze.

Worth a try if nothing else. If you are feeling miserable now with your drinking just think what it could be like if you continue in the same vein. Not good!

Much as I love kicking back and smashing the top off a bottle, no drinking friend, who's a friend because you drink, is worth keeping.

I'm finding that I'm sleeping better, more energy and I just feel better in myself.
My bank balance is a lot healthier as well.
I've gone and bought a new pair of brogues. £100 for them, with the money I've saved from not buying booze.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I know that exact feeling.

I used to do exactly the same thing.

“Just popping to the pub for a quick pint, back in an hour.”

And that meant I had the challenge of getting as pissed as possible in that allotted hour.

Of course it didn’t stop there. I’d crack a few beers open at home to continue the buzz and also so my missus wouldn’t think I’d drunk 5 pints at the pub. I could explain being hammered, it was those two or three extra beers I had when I got home. “I only had 2 at the pub, honest.”

As for the pub / friends etc. You can still go to the pub, just try a Becks Blue or something. You’ll soon realise that spending money and chatting shit for a few hours isn’t actually that fun.

These days I just pop into the pub, have a couple of non alcoholic beers, say hi to everyone, then thin out before the conversation turns to drunken shite. I experience the best bit of the evening and then go home, watch a movie or do something worthwhile.

The next day I’m bright and fresh and doing something enjoyable with my sprogs instead of lying in bed, wishing I had the energy to crawl to the gunsafe just so I could end the killer headache I’d earned myself.

When you stop drinking you immediately have a bit more cash. This is your money that you can spend on yourself. You’ve earned it. Use it to start a new hobby or interest, or re-ignite an old one. A new circle of friends will quickly follow.

Sounds like you’re depressed. Booze does not help the situation at all, chemically and for a whole host of other reasons.

Get it packed in, you’ll feel better, you’ll have more time to spend on yourself and your family, more money and the massive smug sense of satisfaction from achieving sobriety.

No one ever regrets getting sober.

Went to a gig last night, lasted till 2300 and got a ******* nod on in the club. Cas-evacc’d myself and feel ******* dreadful today. Proper apocalyptic misery.
My social life is fairly low key and definitely doesn’t revolve around booze but when I do get out I ******* regret/pay for it the next day

I feel much better in myself tbh.
SWMBO has had a really shit day in work, we've got lamb chops for dinner tonight, I've bought her a nice bottle of red wine.
I may have just one glass with her over dinner. No beer or cider in the house at all, and I never drink whisky midweek anyway.
( got 3 bottles in the cupboard, 2 unopened).
Looked at the bank account. Remarkably surprised at how much is still in there.

Feeling pretty proud of myself. 3 almost dry nights; just 1 glass, very small of wine on Tuesday. Nothing on Monday or Wednesday. Weird dreams and waking up a lot in the night but not feeling grotty in the morning. No drink at night is a first for some 20 years.

Feeling pretty proud of myself. 3 almost dry nights; just 1 glass, very small of wine on Tuesday. Nothing on Monday or Wednesday. Weird dreams and waking up a lot in the night but not feeling grotty in the morning. No drink at night is a first for some 20 years.
So going damp rather than going dry. Well done anyway ;)

A kind member sent a PM as they were worried I’d not been on here. Don’t worry, haven’t relapsed! Instead life has just been so boring & mundane that I had nothing to report.

I’ve even apologised to my Sponsor that my nightly inventories have been so dull because of the absence of much to say, save lusting over a couple of yummy mummies who come in my charity shop & being a little resentful over a couple of members of the Fellowship who bore the tits off me when they share.

Had a rather miserable Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks back. Looked like divorce meant I was going to have to sell my house & found I’d seriously damaged a bearing on the rear wheel of my road bike, which I couldn’t afford to repair. Should have done a spot check inventory to pin down how these were affecting me, but had a kip instead. Didn’t drink, & funny thing was both these issues were resolved that evening.

All being well I keep my house. That means, when I finally get access to MasterPlume he will have a bedroom here & I now know where he’s living-close enough to get to see me. Divorce barrister friend says MrsPlume can do very little to stop contact as the boy is 12 & his wishes will trump all especially as I’m now sober.

As for friends to reassure @ancient my social life better than ever. Still going to London Irish (mates there think I’m brave being surrounded by pissheads) but saving a fortune. Only problem is I can actually see the Rugby properly ;)

University friends flocking back, & not just because they feel sorry for me. They hadn’t deserted me because I am a drunk, but because I now have the energy to arrange to see them the whole group more active spending time with each other, for which they’ve thanked me. They’re also willing to drive 2-3 hour round trips because they know I’ll cook them a good dinner & not be a dribbling mess.

Only people I don’t really see are my fellow Rugby coaches since MrsPlume blackmailed me saying she’d take MasterPlume out of the game if I went back to the Club. However the ones I actually liked (save one I fear now might have been having an affair with MrsPlume) all in touch.

Then there are mates in the Fellowship. It’s not a dating agency I hasten to add. However I need never be alone, I’m surrounded by a whole bunch of good people of interesting & disparate backgrounds.

As for being on the pull in the Fellowship as another member said the other week, “the odds may be good, but the goods may be odd” ;)

Question, Old Stab: do you find fishing addictive? I only ask as I recall reading a Biography about Eric Clapton a while ago. He switched drug use to drinking (and more drug use) for sobriety, but shifted to other “interests “, one of which was fly fishing.
Just saying this as one obsession can soon lead to another. Obsessions ain’t healthy.

@CaptainPlume .
Can you fly fish? If not, learn.
Very relaxing, surprisingly energetic and you get to catch dinner (sometimes)
Many thanks, but not really near any appropriate beats & while I can understand the tranquility it’s never really appealed.

I spend an awful lot of time with the Fellowship, currently five meetings a week totalling more than ten hours once I count service. I also speak to my Sponsor for 20-30 minutes a day, & do daily inventories.

Then there’s my cycling. Doing 100-160 miles a week at the moment & training up for a sponsored ride to Ypres with RBLI in the summer. Meditation is a big part of AA, & I loved this design which I now have on a T-shirt:

F187BCD9-621B-4F64-8162-5939BAEDC6B1.jpeg

Finally, with Tai Chi & my model building life pretty full. Oh, & there’s looking for a job & the charity shop too.

Many thanks, but not really near any appropriate beats & while I can understand the tranquility it’s never really appealed.

I spend an awful lot of time with the Fellowship, currently five meetings a week totalling more than ten hours once I count service. I also speak to my Sponsor for 20-30 minutes a day, & do daily inventories.

Then there’s my cycling. Doing 100-160 miles a week at the moment & training up for a sponsored ride to Ypres with RBLI in the summer. Meditation is a big part of AA, & I loved this design which I now have on a T-shirt:

View attachment 386172

Finally, with Tai Chi & my model building life pretty full. Oh, & there’s looking for a job & the charity shop too.
Love it, Mr CP. serious TT position going on there. If you haven’t already found them, Bikeradar has an excellent forum for everything from training help to second hand bits to a general chat section.