Going dry

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Oh mate, one out and running! My favourite beer.

if I can get that with low to no alcohol I am a sorted.

I did end up drinking the other night, and didn't enjoy the morning. Another leaving do, more of my mates leaving public service. The accounts of the carnage being left behind by them (and who can blame them, I pulled the yellow/black eject handle before them) are not encouraging.
It’s good.

1EA61BBF-0B62-4B2D-87A1-97968131FC37.jpeg

Going dry...involuntarily.

After a poor start, began drinking seriously at college in Pompey, a suitably Grey Funnel venue with a bunch of Navy brats for friends. Always remember my first illegal beer in the 'Village Home' in Alverstoke. It lasted the whole evening because I thought it tasted so bloody awful. In fairness ‘sludge’ at around 8 pence a pint was perhaps not the top end of the beer spectrum.

Offered at an early age a sip of my mother’s G&T, had convinced me that adults had some pretty weird tastes... further re-inforced by my thinking at around the same time that a whiskey and soda was a ginger ale. It certainly wasn’t. Neither experience encouraging me to try any adult's 'fun juice’ for many years.

But, peer pressure by my now rather more worldly friends and fellow students, quickly had me falling into line with regard to liquid refreshments. Truth be told I enjoyed being part of a group getting pissed even if I was little slow to get the taste. I had at the time began sport parachuting at Thruxton, and ‘The George’ figured large, along with a very hard drinking crowd that included a number of ‘hard’ men, some of whom wore maroon ‘crap hats’ and seemed to have impressive capacity for whatever was the tipple of the time.

Having then decided that a green top was prettier than maroon, companionship with another crowd of pretty serious imbibers continued my association with booze. Some years later the aviation crowd I was now with had been up there with the leaders in the party stakes, even though it is dramatically different for the airline crowd now. A Colonial VC10 taxiing out for take-off out of Rome after a layover in those days could see a rather lengthy testing of crew oxygen. Red wine...or Italian red produced serious brain jellyfiers.

A sojourn in Saudi did not help in the slightest, one merely served an apprenticeship in the fascinating art of making the stuff, and if anything made a closer association with our friend Sadeeki. By now had a serious problem with alcohol!! I had not found a single one I did not like. I certainly did not consider myself an alcoholic, as I did not need the stuff, and could when required could go without, but certainly consumed way over what was considered even then as a healthy amount.

A blessing had occurred when on giving up smoking, the hangovers went away. This in part explained during an advanced airmanship class with Braniff doing 727 training. They had in a very enlightened way, realised that the pilot culture embraced drinking a little too heartily and that alcoholism in the fraternity...it still was then, was a reality that they had to deal with. The lecture, given by a Braniff Captain began with a rather ‘sit up and listen’ statement. "I am an alcoholic and it has been 4years. two months, and five days since my last drink.”

It was a very interesting lecture, that did not persuade me to stop, but did give a lot of very interesting bits of information, one of which was why, if one smokes, the start of a binge will increase the smoking because alcohol is a depressant and nicotine is a stimulant. The body fights for equilibrium, and unfortunately both are poisons. Those monster hangovers are the result of your gluttonous consumtion of two fairly noxious substances, neither of which leave your climb to consciousness afterwards a pleasant one.

Fast forward to when I underwent a three year period of peritoneal dialysis during which my daily intake of liquid was reduced to around a litre a day: any liquid, of any kind, including food. This did not leave much room for 'jolly juice' and one could say that for a while a certain set of judicial qualities rose to the fore.

Fitted with a hugely appreciated spare kidney, I rejoined the world of merrymaking with gusto. My lady donor, whom I think of and thank pretty much everyday, had obviously given me a pretty pristine piece of filtration equipment because it has done me proud during my lengthy celebration.

Recently I began a rather caution and belated journey to a healthier way of life. I have begun juicing. This has had a couple of rather curious effects, neither of which were intended. My weight has begun to drop as has my alcohol intake. I am sleeping better, and snoring less...not because I have a wife to complain...they both did, but because I don't wake up with a sore pallet and back of throat. I enjoy my evening tipple just as much but am consuming very much less...and am wanting less as the weeks roll by.

Strange but not unwelcome. Not on the waggon yet, and no real intention to do so but feeling very much better, and, my booze bill has dropped quite noticeably...another positive.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A timely reminder this evening about why I stopped boozing.

The missus was just upstairs doing her teeth and started screaming. I ran up expecting some scene of utter carnage and found water absolutely pissing out of the bottom of the sink.

On closer inspection it appears the waste pipe has completely corroded through.

This is quite thick aluminium and it’s only about 4 or 5 years old.

So rewind 10 months to May. It was a beautiful hot day and I was sat in my hot tub in the garden while the kids played on the trampoline. I think we’d just had a BBQ.

It was absolute bliss as I sat there listening to the birds in the trees, slowly working my way through a reasonably good bottle of red.

Of course it didn’t stop there.

“This is awesome. It’s Sunday tomorrow, **** it, I’ll crack open a second bottle.”

2 bottles soon became 3.

And 3 bottles soon became waking up the next day with complete memory loss, a hangover that would kill a member of the RAF, a very pissed off wife and the bathroom sink completely blocked with purple spew.

Still hammered, I attempted to unblock it with a coat hanger, which didn’t work. Tried a plunger, no joy. Finally resorted to some hardcore drain cleaner.

That was the last time I drank.

And this is the result. It’d probably been leaking a while, but we’d just never noticed. It finally gave out tonight.

The consequences of being a pisshead appear to live on. Looks like I’m off to B&Q in the morning for a new waste pipe.

2A37A56B-DF63-46FD-A155-67A4302FEEE4.jpeg

The missus was just upstairs doing her teeth and started screaming. I ran up expecting some scene of utter carnage and found water absolutely pissing out of the bottom of the sink.

So rewind 10 months to May. It was a beautiful hot day and I was sat in my hot tub in the garden while the kids played on the trampoline. I think we’d just had a BBQ.

It was absolute bliss as I sat there listening to the birds in the trees, slowly working my way through a reasonably good bottle of red.

“This is awesome. It’s Sunday tomorrow, **** it, I’ll crack open a second bottle.”

2 bottles soon became 3.

And 3 bottles soon became waking up the next day with complete memory loss, a hangover that would kill a member of the RAF, a very pissed off wife and the bathroom sink completely blocked with purple spew.

Still hammered, I attempted to unblock it with a coat hanger, which didn’t work. Tried a plunger, no joy. Finally resorted to some hardcore drain cleaner.

And this is the result. It’d probably been leaking a while, but we’d just never noticed. It finally gave out tonight.

The consequences of being a pisshead appear to live on. Looks like I’m off to B&Q in the morning for a new waste pipe.

View attachment 382850
Why aluminium rather than PVC?

Er, yes. Drain unblocker is usually sodium hydroxide (plus various fancy things to justify a 600%+ markup). It is a right **** of a chemical as a) it gets ******* hot when dissolving the solid into water and b) dissolves fat, grease etc. very easily and turns them into soap.

Only issue for people is that large parts of your body, including skin and eyes, have large amounts of fats that can be turned to soap by the stuff.

The main point is that aluminium is amphoteric and so will react with hydroxides. They are perfectly safe to use on most metals but aluminium will dissolve faster than a sherbet dibdab. As you have found out.

2 bottles soon became 3.

View attachment 382850
slacker...you not manged to get your LR into the pic

It’s St Patrick’s Day*. Faintly ironic this marks seven months sober for me. Think I’ve only had three before this one (in my adult life) off the sauce: last year (before I got sober); on a job in Central America which was dry; & in Bosnia where the bars were shut after some misbehaviour.

In the latter case a rather lovely Norn Iron lady Officer & I tried to persuade the CO it was our cultural right to have a few Guinnesses on the day. We were given a firm feck off pill instead.

This will also be controversial for some members of the Fellowship on here, but I am also an AA Sponsor now. I was concerned it was too early, but my Sponsor said I was ready & I have been encouraged by a couple of Oldtimers, one of whom said I was wise, although as she’s a mad alkie too that could be questionable.

Most importantly I took this to my HP, & the response was crack on. Working the 12th Step key to my recovery too...

*Also, a left footer mate tells me, the feast of St Gertrude of Nivelles for all the mad cat ladies the patron Saint of cats.

It’s St Patrick’s Day*. Faintly ironic this marks seven months sober for me. Think I’ve only had three before this one (in my adult life) off the sauce: last year (before I got sober); on a job in Central America which was dry; & in Bosnia where the bars were shut after some misbehaviour.

In the latter case a rather lovely Norn Iron lady Officer & I tried to persuade the CO it was our cultural right to have a few Guinnesses on the day. We were given a firm feck off pill instead.

This will also be controversial for some members of the Fellowship on here, but I am also an AA Sponsor now. I was concerned it was too early, but my Sponsor said I was ready & I have been encouraged by a couple of Oldtimers, one of whom said I was wise, although as she’s a mad alkie too that could be questionable.

Most importantly I took this to my HP, & the response was crack on. Working the 12th Step key to my recovery too...

*Also, a left footer mate tells me, the feast of St Gertrude of Nivelles for all the mad cat ladies the patron Saint of cats.
Mate, very well done for cracking 7 months sober. That's a bloody long journey and I hope it continues for you.

Take a look back at where you were 9 months ago, 12 months ago or whenever, and then have a look at how your life has improved since. The most important thing (IMHO, anyways) is that YOU control things now, and that has to be a good thing.

Hope you are continuing to get to see your little lad as well - do please keep us all informed as to how you're getting on.

Mate, very well done for cracking 7 months sober. That's a bloody long journey and I hope it continues for you.

Take a look back at where you were 9 months ago, 12 months ago or whenever, and then have a look at how your life has improved since. The most important thing (IMHO, anyways) is that YOU control things now, and that has to be a good thing.

Hope you are continuing to get to see your little lad as well - do please keep us all informed as to how you're getting on.
Cheers, Dave. A quick correction, my HP controls things now. I’ve had a long chat with my Sponsor about how I know that, especially when an intuitive idea is in lines with something that is to my benefit, it is the HP speaking not my self-will & am fairly happy with the answer.

With regard to MasterPlume not seen him since 20 May 18. However he did ring a month ago, I remember as he said he’d asked MrsPlume a couple of times when he could see me & she refused as “he gets drunk & does stupid things”. It was great to tell him I hadn’t drunk for six months at the time...

Cheers, Dave. A quick correction, my HP controls things now. I’ve had a long chat with my Sponsor about how I know that, especially when an intuitive idea is in lines with something that is to my benefit, it is the HP speaking not my self-will & am fairly happy with the answer.

With regard to MasterPlume not seen him since 20 May 18. However he did ring a month ago, I remember as he said he’d asked MrsPlume a couple of times when he could see me & she refused as “he gets drunk & does stupid things”. It was great to tell him I hadn’t drunk for six months at the time...
Keep going mate, whatever it takes. Eventually you will get to see the little lad again I'm sure.

Keep going mate, whatever it takes. Eventually you will get to see the little lad again I'm sure.
Thank you! He’s getting to the age when he can choose for himself, & if MrsPlume treats him like everyone else in her life she’ll drive him away too...

A small tip I learned for what it's worth, to help me cut back on the booze (perhaps it's been mentioned elsewhere) is to calculate the savings you make and spend it on something solid.

Now this is where I come across as weird but I collect gold and silver coins. You work out what you saved on booze and buy a little Britannia or a Maple Leaf or a dinar. Soon you have this collection of bullion coins and you become like one of these cartoon misers, taking them out and looking at them, holding them in your hand. And you start to realise just how much of this stuff you pissed against a wall over the years.

You start resenting spending money on booze, you look at the booze prices in a shop and you think how much gold you could have with that.

It sounds insane but it's a great little hobby and gives you a small reward for staying off the stuff and incidentally after a year or two you have a nice wee nest egg, just don't let your wife know :p

A small tip I learned for what it's worth, to help me cut back on the booze (perhaps it's been mentioned elsewhere) is to calculate the savings you make and spend it on something solid.

Now this is where I come across as weird but I collect gold and silver coins. You work out what you saved on booze and buy a little Britannia or a Maple Leaf or a dinar. Soon you have this collection of bullion coins and you become like one of these cartoon misers, taking them out and looking at them, holding them in your hand. And you start to realise just how much of this stuff you pissed against a wall over the years.

You start resenting spending money on booze, you look at the booze prices in a shop and you think how much gold you could have with that.

It sounds insane but it's a great little hobby and gives you a small reward for staying off the stuff and incidentally after a year or two you have a nice wee nest egg, just don't let your wife know :p
I did something like that with giving up smoking from being a 50 a day addict.
Saved up for a house for three years, paid off the rest in four & bought another three years ago which will be paid off in two (rent income's paying off the rest).

A few days in now and it's worse than doing sober October.

Really bizarre dreams, and I mean REALLY fucked up dreams.
Bowels are all over the place, crapping like a racehorse, been FOUR times today already.

No real craving for booze though strangely. Honestly don't fancy it. Walked down the booze aisle in Tesco, didn't bat an eyelid.

The only thing I've got a weird craving for is chocolate.
Same here when I did dry January. Other people have suggested that your body is used to a relatively high blood sugar level (alcohol and beer sugars being rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream). Your body compensates for not having that 'normal' sugar available by craving sweet things.

I don't know if it's true but definitely plausible and I experienced the same thing. When I stopped mid-week drinking it wasn't an issue as I got absolutely spasticated at the weekends. During January I couldn't just tough it out until the weekend and I think I bought more chocolate and sweets that month than I did in the previous two years.

Same here when I did dry January. Other people have suggested that your body is used to a relatively high blood sugar level (alcohol and beer sugars being rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream). Your body compensates for not having that 'normal' sugar available by craving sweet things.

I don't know if it's true but definitely plausible and I experienced the same thing. When I stopped mid-week drinking it wasn't an issue as I got absolutely spasticated at the weekends. During January I couldn't just tough it out until the weekend and I think I bought more chocolate and sweets that month than I did in the previous two years.
That'll explain why I suddenly like Panacotta and Creme brulee.

Latest Threads