Going dry

Last drink 27th December (Xmas holiday in Coastal Cumbria) followed by an entirely dry January, a third of the way through dry February and the house is well stocked with a good range of booze.

A dry month is not so very different from any other month though. A couple of looney blow-outs per year and the very occasional one-too-many nights is about it.

Funny thing is, by drinking very little, I really enjoy a beer or a G&T when I do have them.
I have only just seen your post, I do hope that you have now got your act together, please leave your beer outside my van.

Top Tier
Warsteiner, Free Damm, and Peroni Libera.

Middle Tier
Heineken, Becks Blue, Bavaria, Sainsbury's low alcohol Czech lager

Bottom Tier
San Miguel 0.0

To try
Flat Tire, Infinite Session

Just came back from my 2nd AA UK meeting - this one was so much better - zero religious stuff - is actually called Freethinkers/ Agnostic/ Atheist something or other and had a much better vibe! I actually enjoyed it. Will definitely go back next week.

Well I lasted 6 months. It was going well until I found myself in a social situation I just wasn't prepared for and I reverted to default mode.

It might well be a one off. Really haven't felt like drinking since.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Top Tier
Warsteiner, Free Damm, and Peroni Libera.

Middle Tier
Heineken, Becks Blue, Bavaria, Sainsbury's low alcohol Czech lager

Bottom Tier
San Miguel 0.0

To try
Flat Tire, Infinite Session
Add Pure Brew to your top tier.

Just came back from my 2nd AA UK meeting - this one was so much better - zero religious stuff - is actually called Freethinkers/ Agnostic/ Atheist something or other and had a much better vibe! I actually enjoyed it. Will definitely go back next week.
In my experience I found, once I realised I suffered from alcoholism, that I needed more than one meeting a week. I had further “rock bottoms” after coming into the Fellowship, even though I knew I wanted to stop drinking.

Perhaps I hadn’t “gone to any lengths”.

Well I lasted 6 months. It was going well until I found myself in a social situation I just wasn't prepared for and I reverted to default mode.

It might well be a one off. Really haven't felt like drinking since.
If you really want to stop just dust yourself off & look back on it as a learning experience. This is another reason I’m grateful to AA, I’m learning how to deal with the situations in life (good and bad) where I had a drink.

There will be further challenges ahead. However they would be made worse for me if I drank. The key is not having the first one!

I actually felt a tad guilty last night, as instead of my (now)usual bottle of Ghost Ship alc free/bottle of proper IPA mix, I broke open one more of each & had half of them too.

Bloody weird thought for a life long beer guzzler.

On a lighter note, and on your side of the world it might be a good choice for dinner this time of year, look up Belgian Carbonnade (or Carbonnade Flamande) for which there are a number of recipes online. This is a casserole made with beef marinaded in ale or beer. It is a very good recipe if all you have is the sort of beef of which it might be said, "If you put laces in it, you could march on it!"
Excellent recipe. Thick slice of bread slathered in mustard on top while it simmers to thicken and flavour the gravy. I find a handful of chopped bacon in there with the beef gives it a bit of a lift.

Big changes over the past year. My beer intake has slowed down a lot. That last minute beer before bedtime is a problem when I have one though. Too often, I fall asleep before finishing it. If I stay up to finish it, that can take ages and affects sleep. I had mostly stopped opening a beer after midnight but like last orders that's a bit pointless if drinking up time is too short to finish it and still enjoy it. 23:55 is too late to be taking time over a beer.

From Deutsche Welle:
1552723234223.png

Alcohol: Life gets better without it | DW | 15.03.2019

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Found a 0.5% old speckled hen in Sainsbury’s yesterday.

Not bad.

Not as malty as that St Peters shite, and not quite as bitter as the Adnams. A nice compromise between the two.

Found a 0.5% old speckled hen in Sainsbury’s yesterday.

Not bad.

Not as malty as that St Peters shite, and not quite as bitter as the Adnams. A nice compromise between the two.
Oh mate, one out and running! My favourite beer.

if I can get that with low to no alcohol I am a sorted.

I did end up drinking the other night, and didn't enjoy the morning. Another leaving do, more of my mates leaving public service. The accounts of the carnage being left behind by them (and who can blame them, I pulled the yellow/black eject handle before them) are not encouraging.

Quite pleased with myself this week. Went to Cheltenham on Thursday, had two Cobra Zeros in the Guinness Village, didn´t miss the booze at all and had a great day with old mates. Today I´m going to Wales v Ireland. The streets of Cardiff will be littered with incapable pissheads as usual. I doubt I´ll be tempted.

Latest Threads