Going dry

In terms of exercise, a brisk walk burns approximately 100 kcal per km according to my fitness tracking app.

1 lb of fat = approx 3,500 kcal (or, if you prefer, 1 kg of fat = 7700 kcal)
Recommended calorie intake for reasonable active male = 2250 - 2500 kcal.

As long as I go to bed without a drink six months sober now. There have been some challenges (stonking Irish win today & for once the Guinness smelt appealing*) but I’m getting through.

I’m using an AA app to do the nightly inventory-I can then send this direct to sponsor who comes back with thoughts. As he works nights he replies while I’m asleep so I can build his thoughts into my morning routine & reading.

Also using spot check inventory. Needed this when MrsPlume’s solicitor sent proposed divorce settlement which would beggar me & in terms of maintenance leave me paying her mortgage having paid off her debts from 25 years ago. M’learned friends are being consulted.

Best thing was MasterPlume rang me yesterday. I’m getting sober for me, but he also makes it worth it...

*Edit to add: despite the Guinness at the Madjeski being pretty rank. God knows why I used to get through a gallon plus of the stuff on a matchday. Suppose because I’m an alkie!

Last edited:
I realise that taste is a personal opinion, but here is my current lager league table:

Top Tier
Warsteiner, Free Damm, and Peroni.

Middle Tier
Heineken, Becks Blue, Bavaria

Bottom Tier
San Miguel 0.0

To try
Flat Tire, Infinite Session, Sainsbury's low alcohol Czech lager.

Once I've finished this lot, I'll have a look at beers/ales and ciders

Mate muscle is heavier than lard, keep it up, set yourself phys goals, my fave is up place fell in under 60 mins, sometimes I win sometimes I lose.
This ↑, tape measure and mirror are better that scales.

I've not had a drink for a week now. I just tried going without to see if I could do it, and, as I thought, I can. I do have one problem, I have a bad right knee joint and that is giving me hell at the moment, making it difficult to sleep. I think I'll go back to the beer, see how that goes.

I only drink as I have shares in Shepherd Neame so what I put in I get out, well that's my excuse!
As for snoring it seems I take after a great uncle who snored for England, it runs in the family it seems.

I've had one G&T that I didn't finish, since New Years Eve and I've been out on a few nights out with the missus and friends. I'm quite happy now to volunteer to be Duty Driver and it really doesn't bother me any more to be the one standing with a soft drink or a brew, it also helps (and is quite funny) that when I go on a ride out on the bike, to see a load of hairy, leather clad bikers all standing having a laugh with a brew in their hands and not an ale in sight.

Today’s “Daily Reflections” had a good line. “AA isn’t just something I joined, it’s something I live.”

Went to watch the England match in pub with some London Irish mates yesterday. On way had sudden thought that MrsPlume might appear, & as it’s MrsPlume’s birthday tomorrow that Grendel’s Mother (aka my Mother-in-Law) might be over from NZ & clogging up the pub too-despite only being interested in Rugby if the All Blucks are winning & hating pubs she’d come just to see me off.

Do you know, after the initial thought I wasn’t at all phased that they might be there. I knew how I would behave (firmly & politely rather than by people-pleasing & subverting my own character) & also that they wouldn’t drive me to drink.

As it happens they weren’t there. However it’s great that another of the promises (“we will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us”) coming true in a small way.

Also realised my taking up of cycling linked to my sobriety, starting a week later. Last week I covered 150 miles (that included a rest day & some idle ones) & in six months I’ve ridden close on 1,600 miles. From tiny acorns* & all that.

Finally my mates in the pub, one of whom I don’t see often so notices changes more, says I look fit & healthy, & to me most importantly happy & confident. I owe that to sobriety, & sobriety to AA.

*I’m not talking about the chap after all that time in the saddle!

Oh, as a result of getting into cycling I’ve started reading a lot of books about the sport. Amusing reading Lance Armstrong’s stuff, & hagiographies of Armstrong before his doping exposed.

I liked these two quotes from David Millar’s “Racing Through The Dark”. Both reflect my recent life before AA, except the rich bit.
DD3053E7-B236-49C4-A338-74320385EE76.jpeg
317E770C-24C5-4830-86CF-EAE105D59696.jpeg

It’s not too much of a spoiler that Millar’s book ends with the single word “redemption”. Hope mine could end the same way, Ethan’s adding “resilience”.

Unfortunately I can't cycle around my local area as it's far too dangerous.

I kicked the arse out of it yesterday due to the Rugby being on , and have the resulting hangover from hell. However, no booze now until I go to Belfast in 2 weeks time.

That's me nearly 8 weeks without a alcoholic beverage, I had a big birthday the end of last year and kind of kicked the arse out of it so much so I was sick of it by new year and defiantly felt my organs weren't performing at their full capability.

I feel great, I do plenty of fitness and eat well. I've had one urge to have a drink but managed to quash it which was impressive considering I have an open 3/4 bottle of whisky in the cupboard.

I will get to April maybe around 100 days before I end my period of going dry, I enjoy nothing more than sitting in the garden in the summer reading a book with a nice cold beer, my only issue is knowing when to stop drinking and this is something I need to train myself to do.

In terms of exercise, a brisk walk burns approximately 100 kcal per km according to my fitness tracking app.

1 lb of fat = approx 3,500 kcal (or, if you prefer, 1 kg of fat = 7700 kcal)
Recommended calorie intake for reasonable active male = 2250 - 2500 kcal.
Manual jobs are good at giving you free exercise - as I am re-discovering again.

I will probably look up a meeting one of these days now that I have moved area to see if I like this one better. My last one way too religious for my liking.
Mine go completely the other way. Over five meetings I attend in four different towns. all spread out, I think there are five open & practising Christians (including me) & a couple of Sikhs.

Sometimes I think people protest too much about how their HP isn’t a God of an organised religion! You’ll find a meeting that suits if you need one, although in my experience I needed more than one a week.

I'm sipping a few now because I have a dentist's appointment tomorrow. She is a damn good dentist with the use of her hands, but I still hate going to dentists.

I will get to April maybe around 100 days before I end my period of going dry, I enjoy nothing more than sitting in the garden in the summer reading a book with a nice cold beer, my only issue is knowing when to stop drinking and this is something I need to train myself to do.
Give the Ghost Ship alcohol free (somewhat confusingly there is also Ghost Ship with alcohol) a try. I love being able to pop a nice cold one of an evening and don’t care that it is alcohol free. I’m on a journey to try them all.

Jpy