Going dry

And got thrown out of the pub I hope. Dirty bastard.
My younger when in his twenties worked like a dog all week and then went out and got absolutely smashed at the weekend, and all weekend.

One Saturday night, my mate and I met him in our favorite pub and had the usual trouble understanding what he was actually saying, he was so far gone. Somehow we did understand one thing he said which was (imagine very slow and very slurry)...... "I'm going for a a a a er....... piss". With that he stood up from our window seat, staggered a whole four metres, (only staying upright because the place was so packed that it would have been impossible to actually fall over) and then squeezed himself into the tiny gap behind the fruit machine, pulled out his old chap and just pi55ed all over the carpet and the wall, before calmly putting himself away and rejoining us. To this day, I don't know how he wasn't spotted, and also, to this day, he refuses to admit it ever happened.

Oh, what we would have given for smart phones/cameras in 1984.

Government guidelines are that 14 units a week is safe, consumed over 3-4 days giving alcohol-free days in the week. ISTR it’s also recommended the 14 units shouldn’t be done in a one-er.

However I heard somewhere that research was done with identical twins where one had the weekly ration over a series of days & one at one sitting. After a period there was no significant health difference, but I may misremember.

This is just for health, though. I do wonder if the numbers were plucked from thin air like the five-a-day for fruit & veg as alcohol seems to hit different people in different ways. I remember a health documentary about a bloke roughly my age who’s body was closing down after a sustained period on a four-pack a night with a bottle of wine added to this on Fridays & Saturday’s-I drank far more than this from aged 18 & only have a small amount of liver scarring to show for it.

Drinkaware has this to say about being alcohol dependent. Can’t really argue with much of it.

The NICE definition of hazardous & harmful drinking are here. In short 15-35 units in women & 15-50 in men is seen as hazardous & 35+/50+ respectively as harmful.

Another “however” though. My sister is very senior in an industry where there’s a fairly big drinking culture, & a lot of entertainment to be done & was worried about her consumption. She discussed this with a Private GP who said 70+ a week meant that a patient would need a medical detox before being able to undergo surgery.

The AA definition is “are you powerless over alcohol”. Quantity consumed isn’t mentioned, although in the main it’s been pretty significant for most members of the Fellowship I know.

I may of course have this all arrse about face. I am, after all, an alkie not a medic!

I just used the links.

Typical week until this stop now was in the order of 100-120 units.

Apparently that isn't a good thing.

Did I mention I am type 1 diabetic?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Years ago I was sent by my GP to hospital to get a suspected problem with my lung checked out. I had said I had sprained a muscle but he insisted and 24 hours of tests proved I was right.

However, that is not the tale: when I was waiting to be seen a junior doctor who genuinely looked like a fourth former (!) said he was doing a survey of all new patients on alcohol intake, and would I tell him what I had drunk. I proceeded to let him know about the beer, vodka and wine that I had drunk. This young guy then informed that that was a lot of units for a week's intake and well above the recommended limits. The poor boy just about sh!t himself when I told him that was the intake from the day before. He looked genuinely horrified as though I had just grown horns and a tail !

Well, he did ask :p

Years ago I was sent by my GP to hospital to get a suspected problem with my lung checked out. I had said I had sprained a muscle but he insisted and 24 hours of tests proved I was right.

However, that is not the tale: when I was waiting to be seen a junior doctor who genuinely looked like a fourth former (!) said he was doing a survey of all new patients on alcohol intake, and would I tell him what I had drunk. I proceeded to let him know about the beer, vodka and wine that I had drunk. This young guy then informed that that was a lot of units for a week's intake and well above the recommended limits. The poor boy just about sh!t himself when I told him that was the intake from the day before. He looked genuinely horrified as though I had just grown horns and a tail !

Don't ask a question if you aren't going to like the answer!

I remember going in to pubs in West Cumbria as late as the mid 90's were the only two things on draft wee bitter and mild.
They had bottled cider (from the supermarket) for the rare occasions a lady visited.
Spirits were whisky, gin and vodka. No lager at all.

Some of them the bar was insided an old fashioned serving hatch. Vinyl floor, vinyl bench seating.
Entertainment consisted of a dartboard
No sawdust on the floor? You posh gits.
I remember some pubs with no seating in the public bar just elbow height shelving all the way round and sawdust on the floor in a couple of them. That would have been the late 70s. Though Quinn's in the 'Brigs had the shelving in the public in the mid 90s, but a tiled floor, it also didn't allow women in the public bar after all the others had changed this rule.

Well I've read the links that @CaptainPlume put up and don't recognise myself in any of them.
I drink about 115 units a week.
However penicillin doesn't work on me so antibiotics mean going dry for several days. This gives me no problems at all, I buy some ginger beer and tonic water and drink them instead.
I simply like to relax to music and alcohol at the end of the day.

Well I've read the links that @CaptainPlume put up and don't recognise myself in any of them.
However penicillin doesn't work on me so antibiotics mean going dry for several days. This gives me no problems at all, I buy some ginger beer and tonic water and drink them instead.
'kinell, I thought I was bad at the end of 2017 on 70. Now down to <20.
You might not notice any health issues but cirrhosis can sneak up & kill you from feeling fine in less than a year. saw it happen to a neighbour a few years back.

The liver , in a way , is a victim of its own success. It's a very resilient organ that can take a huge amount of punishment. It has to be , given all the jobs it has to do for the body. Although it can regenerate itself it needs to be given a chance to do so and you're giving it a fair old battering (and many of us on this site are as well). I've found the non alcoholic beers I've discovered through this thread to be pretty good with one exception (St Peter's without if anybody's interested glad I only bought the one bottle let's say). As other contributors to this thread have done, I find that a couple of "real beers" at the beginning are fine to give the "buzz" and then I switch to the non alcoholic for much of the rest of the evening. It amounts to quite a sizeable reduction in the number of alcohol units consumed over an evening. Forgive me if this sounds like a lecture , but I think any GP would welcome any reduction in the number of alcohol units consumed over a week.

Pv

Last edited:
The liver , in a way , is a victim of its own success. It's a very resilient organ that can take a huge amount of punishment. It has to be , given all the jobs it has to do for the body. Although it can regenerate itself it needs to be given a chance to do so and you're giving it a fair old battering (and many of us on this site are as well). I've found the non alcoholic beers I've discovered through this thread to be pretty good with one exception (St Peter's without if anybody's interested glad I only bought the one bottle let's say). As other contributors to this thread have done, I find that a couple of "real beers" at the beginning are fine to give the "buzz" and then I switch to a the non alcoholic for much of the rest of the evening. It amounts to quite a reasonable reduction in the number of alcohol units consumed over an evening. Forgive me if this sounds like a lecture , but I think any GP would welcome any reduction in the number of alcohol units consumed over a week.

Pv
Fully concur about St Peters - it is minging! I bought two bottles, one is going down the sink or will be gifted to a tramp.

Fully concur about St Peters - it is minging! I bought two bottles, one is going down the sink or will be gifted to a tramp.
Tramp will probably say "I'll stick to the Meths , thanks all the same"

When the "22 units a week thing" came out, me and a few guys on my course pledged, and succeeded, to drink the weekly limit every day for a week.

We were very pleased with ourselves.

The liver , in a way , is a victim of its own success. It's a very resilient organ that can take a huge amount of punishment. It has to be , given all the jobs it has to do for the body. Although it can regenerate itself it needs to be given a chance to do so and you're giving it a fair old battering (and many of us on this site are as well). I've found the non alcoholic beers I've discovered through this thread to be pretty good with one exception (St Peter's without if anybody's interested glad I only bought the one bottle let's say). As other contributors to this thread have done, I find that a couple of "real beers" at the beginning are fine to give the "buzz" and then I switch to a the non alcoholic for much of the rest of the evening. It amounts to quite a sizeable reduction in the number of alcohol units consumed over an evening. Forgive me if this sounds like a lecture , but I think any GP would welcome any reduction in the number of alcohol units consumed over a week.

Pv
When I got it checked out for the first time in years, at the beginning of last year, it was not doing so great apparently. But after abstaining for about 11 months, let's call it a year it was perfect again. Only recently over the New Year's period did I start abusing it again. Though, have stopped for a couple of days now. Dark thoughts and all. Trying to stay focused on things.

Yup.
I'm really cutting back and having more days "off" than on.

Saying that, I'm having a bottle of Warsteiner with food this evening. But only one. I'm driving first thing. Probably have about 4 pints of lime cordial though and wake up with a bladder like a spacehopper. SWMBO would go ******* MENTAL if I swamped the bed.

Do people actually do that? Or is that something I keep hearing....

Yeh people do it. My sister in law told me that my brother did it several times a week in the year or so before he died. All alcohol related

When I was ill last year I thought I might have, turned out I was sweating in my sleep so badly that her indoors had to put towels under the sheets.

For what it’s worth I came down with a virus a couple of weeks ago
( the full shitting and talking to god on the porcelain telephone bit all night) weak as a kitten for 4 days and after that a glass of wine sat like a lump of lead in my stomach . So I’ve had a dry couple of weeks and can honestly say it’s starting to be a revalation.
Sleeping better, no getting up for a pee at 2 am and I’ve gon down a belt notch allready.
Not going tea total but deffo having a recalibrate.

For what it’s worth I came down with a virus a couple of weeks ago
( the full shitting and talking to god on the porcelain telephone bit all night) weak as a kitten for 4 days and after that a glass of wine sat like a lump of lead in my stomach . So I’ve had a dry couple of weeks and can honestly say it’s starting to be a revalation.
Sleeping better, no getting up for a pee at 2 am and I’ve gon down a belt notch allready.
Not going tea total but deffo having a recalibrate.
My wallet is a lot heavier and my bank balance is a lot healthier as well.

My wallet is a lot heavier and my bank balance is a lot healthier as well.
Yep.
Mine's healthier by at least £1,000 over the past year (nothing like when I gave up smeurks though - £5,200 back in 2009 or £11,000 year at today's prices).
I'm now close to contemplating the removal of IPA & other beers from my diet - something I'd never have thought even remotely probable 6 months ago.
Mind you; I used to think the same about expensive Single Malt whisky but I've only bought bottles as gifts since I finished the last of my stash Port Ellen a couple of years ago. Now I have a couple of glasses every November whilst with mates out in the wilds of Alabama & that's it.
But then again there's still all the bottles of wine under the floor in the front room...

Latest Threads