Going dry

This is something I have started focussing on now a lot more. Instead of a load of generic beers out of habit, or doing things for the sake of doing them I focus on what I like and limit it. So it is more of a treat than a habit.

For example I may splash out on a nice bottle of wine. On Saturday evening I have two large glasses, and save a glass for Sunday evening. All interspersed with plenty of soft drinks. And that is all I will drink in a week. No hangovers, high quality alcohol that I am actually savouring rather than chucking down the hatch as quickly as I can.
I agree. I'm savouring the taste of some VERY nice beers in moderation. Some very nice IPA's and continental lagers. Going for quality over quantity.
Gone are the days of downing a slab of Stella or Strongbow, I prefer a nice pint that I can actually enjoy without getting as pissed as a fart with the resulting hangover and ruined following day.

This is something I have started focussing on now a lot more. Instead of a load of generic beers out of habit, or doing things for the sake of doing them I focus on what I like and limit it. So it is more of a treat than a habit.

For example I may splash out on a nice bottle of wine. On Saturday evening I have two large glasses, and save a glass for Sunday evening. All interspersed with plenty of soft drinks. And that is all I will drink in a week. No hangovers, high quality alcohol that I am actually savouring rather than chucking down the hatch as quickly as I can.
In my periods of "drinking like a gentleman" that's what I'd do. Sadly, as noted above, I started to binge & the binges got closer together.

I'd love to be able to enjoy my Sunday evening couple of bottles of a really nice beer drunk like wine. Sadly I can't risk it any more :(

I agree. I'm savouring the taste of some VERY nice beers in moderation. Some very nice IPA's and continental lagers. Going for quality over quantity.
Gone are the days of downing a slab of Stella or Strongbow, I prefer a nice pint that I can actually enjoy without getting as pissed as a fart with the resulting hangover and ruined following day.
Indeed. I probably binge perhaps once a year now, and a heavy night will be if I have a bottle of wine in one sitting - in which case that will be the only day of the week I drink.

In my periods of "drinking like a gentleman" that's what I'd do. Sadly, as noted above, I started to binge & the binges got closer together.

I'd love to be able to enjoy my Sunday evening couple of bottles of a really nice beer drunk like wine. Sadly I can't risk it any more :(
People are wired differently, and I guess that is one of the differences between problem drinking and alcoholism.

Many like to assume anyone with a drink problem is an alcoholic, whereas that is not the case.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Snap.

I’d love to be able to sit by the fire with a nice whisky, but I know that whisky will turn into another and then another and then a bottle.

And then spewing up everywhere and spending two days in bed seriously contemplating putting a 12 bore in my mouth to relieve the headache.

Snap.

I’d love to be able to sit by the fire with a nice whisky, but I know that whisky will turn into another and then another and then a bottle.

And then spewing up everywhere and spending two days in bed seriously contemplating putting a 12 bore in my mouth to relieve the headache.
Yeah, that was my reality too. The cosy dram of single malt in a cut crystal glass by the fireside ended up as swigging from a half bottle of cheap brand until it was gone, then stumbling down town and getting another bottle. The next morning spewing into the washbasin because my body was trying to get rid of the alcohol is a bitter and shudder inducing memory that gets summoned up whenever I now think about how I used to drink.

Snap.

In that way I must be one of the lucky ones, I can have just one or two and go to bed with no cravings for more.

In that way I must be one of the lucky ones, I can have just one or two and go to bed with no cravings for more.
If I don't have the first one I can't have the 10th one, as Captain Plume has put it.

I'll now only buy 4 nice beers and that's it. I make them last all evening and once they're gone, they're gone.

No midweek drinking at all now, and in moderation on a weekend. Weaning myself onto less and less tbh.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m a complete monster. Once the tap is open, that’s it I’ll just keep drinking.

The only reason I’d go to bed was because the missus would come down and kick off at me. If it wasn’t for her, I’d happily just stay up until sunrise watching the fire and drinking.

Seriously, I used to go on wild camping trips just so I could sit on top of a mountain with my dog and drink an entire bottle of whiskey without being told to go to bed.

On nights out I was always the last man standing and always the bloke who’d open a bottle of something at the end of the night and encourage everyone else to keep drinking.

Seriously, I used to go on wild camping trips just so I could sit on top of a mountain with my dog and drink an entire bottle of whiskey without being told to go to bed.
I used to fantasise about doing just that. Alternative locations were nice little hotels somewhere like Sorrento or on a Croatian island where I could sit peacefully all day by the sea in a recliner with a pile of books, an iPod & a huge quantity of beer.

To an extent did it on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica at the end of a charity project, although swap hammock for recliner. Also did peaceful drinking on my tiny sun terrace at my home in the Home Counties when Mrs- & MasterPlume out. At least with the latter I still functioned.

The reality was rather different at the end. After I Iost my job last summer & MrsPlume had moved out of the marital home I decided to go back (I’d been living with my parents) to have some peace & quiet. Laid in god knows how many litres of spirits as I was supposed to be off the pop & it would be easier to hide the empties.

After a couple of days of not being able to contact me my parents came round. They found me passed out in the garden surrounded by empties & books in my green maggot & piss wet through having been rained on the night before. How I didn’t soil myself I don’t know, but it might have been I’d not eaten anything bar half a tube of Pringles in three or four days.

I now (or until the late autumn anyway) enjoy my sun terrace with a coffee/tea/soft drink/agua fresca after a beasting on the bike. Far better all round!

I don't know if it's cutting out the beer but I am surprisingly devoid of farts at the moment.

I had a big helping of mushrooms on Wednesday and curried beans last night. I was looking forward to a day of letting quiet ones off and then blaming irritating kids for the smell. Not a single air biscuit all day :(

I also walked straight down the booze aisle without stopping while picking up some food earlier. It didn't cross my mind to get a couple of beers or even stop and think about getting some. Strange.

I don't know if it's cutting out the beer but I am surprisingly devoid of farts at the moment.

I had a big helping of mushrooms on Wednesday and curried beans last night. I was looking forward to a day of letting quiet ones off and then blaming irritating kids for the smell. Not a single air biscuit all day :(

I also walked straight down the booze aisle without stopping while picking up some food earlier. It didn't cross my mind to get a couple of beers or even stop and think about getting some. Strange.
Twat.
I'm farting for NATO!

Five months sober yesterday. Sponsor found, & Step Four under way.

Crikey I had a boring & conventional life. Perhaps I should go out snorting Bolivian marching powder off the pert buttocks of some TS prostitutes so I’ve got something to write down.

Heard a good one at this evening’s meeting:

“I was so far up my own arrse all I could see was my own crap.”

Rather liked that...

Well done CP.
24 hours at a time, if you don't have the first drink, you can't have the tenth one.
And if you do, the ARRSE collective will kick the **** out of you.;)

Five months sober yesterday. Sponsor found, & Step Four under way.

Crikey I had a boring & conventional life. Perhaps I should go out snorting Bolivian marching powder off the pert buttocks of some TS prostitutes so I’ve got something to write down.

Heard a good one at this evening’s meeting:

“I was so far up my own arrse all I could see was my own crap.”

Rather liked that...
Very well done mate; keep it going.

I bet, 6 or 7 months ago, you couldn't have foreseen doing 5 days sober.

One day at a time, and all that.

Thanks, chaps. My only aim is not to have a drink for the next 24 hours. Of course this rolls!

I’d joined the Fellowship last spring, & done four or so months almost completely abstinent from Oct 17 (along with dry periods on Ops & overseas projects) with no major trauma so I knew it was possible, but this time it seems more manageable because of the 24 hour target...

Good luck. A technique for giving up is delay & distract-if thinking of having a drink wait x-minutes, & then do something different in that period...

No Little Man. Stephen Fry: “Someone was trying to persuade me to stay for one more. I knew I had filming the next day so I refused” he recalled. “Francis Bacon said to me: “you have a little man don’t you? You have a little man, who lives in your head and tells you when it’s time to stop. Be thankful for that little man. Greater men have fallen through lack of one”.

I certainly had no little man. I too would kip out in the garden in my Buffalo bag just to avoid risking waking the Mrs up staggering into bed when most people might be thinking about getting up. I tried swapping the 20 case of Strongbow for a small selection of hipster microbrew ales from the hipster offy near me, with most being about 4 quid for a 330ml can. I’d go in thinking I’ll just get 4, panic and spend 50-60 quid and make sure half of them were crazy 8+% ones just in case the rest didn’t do enough of a job. A 330ml can is gone in a few swigs, so I’d end up plastered and searching the cupboards for the cooking vermouth or mixing sloe gin with Christmas cake brandy, shit gin (left over from making sloe gin) with tropical juice etc.
I’d also do mental stuff like deciding to bake buns at 0400 or deciding bullshot sounded a good idea and making 5 litres of beef consommé that I then dropped in the kitchen in my state. Once made a birdbox in the garage with a circular saw that I was holding the guard back on with my spare hand.

I’d say it was the only time I got to do anything, once everyone else was in bed. In reflection I was convincing myself that it was ok to stay up all night because I was busy doing important stuff, whereas in reality I didn’t do it in the day as I only saw half of it and spent it feeling shit and wondering when was an acceptable time to get back on it.

Looking back I wonder how I ever functioned. I think it was the guilt as I knew I wasn’t behaving normally, and the need to convince myself and my Mrs that I was fine and in control and therefore had to ‘contribute’ to the day to day goings on and not let on that I was rough as ****. I’m still processing it all tbh.

I spoke earlier in the thread about when the novelty of feeling great wore off and I’ve now realised I was depressed back then and self medicating by boozing till I blacked out, and with the help of a good friend who’d seen through the front have been taking steps to address it as the decline from that novelty wearing off never really flattened out, just continued till I was staring at the wall some days.

One point to add: I’m still not sure what’s at the root of it. But I feel better just for acknowledging it and taking steps to find out and do something about it without thinking the solution is getting shiters. Even writing the above felt cathartic and I hadn’t really been able to put it in words before. I used to think I was having a good time but I reckon the balance of feeling so shit the rest of the time wasn’t worth it. That’s why it’s so hard to understand and to stop, it’s so powerful a hold it takes. That no little man thing again, it’s counter evolutionary if that’s a way to put it. Like eating something that was so nice but gave you food poisoning but eating it every day. I’m rambling like a drunk now but it’s interesting to start thinking about it at last.

Latest Threads