Going dry

We’re doing Nosecco cocktails tonight.

As the name suggests Nosecco is basically a non alcoholic Prosecco.

On its own it’s a bit rank. Way too sweet for me and doesn’t really have any of the dryness of Prosecco or champagne. There are much better non alcoholic sparkling wines out there. Bees Knees sparkling and Sainsbury’s finest sparkling wine to name a couple.

We had a bottle knocking about so I thought I’d experiment and try and make it more palatable.

Splash of grapefruit syrup and some fresh strawberries has worked wonders, disguising much of the shitness. A bit of fresh lemon juice has really sorted it out though and killed some of the sweetness.

So top tip.

Make shit non alcoholic sparkling wine better by adding lemon juice.

Cheers.
Just drink sparkling water or Diet Coke mate,

Because he wanted to?
Ofcourse that’s one answere the other could be a control choice.

I can drink one and leave a little, then function after. Good on him.

Just me and SWMBO at home last night. She had a bottle of white wine and I had 4 bottles of Warsteiner.

Drunk over the evening. Woke up feeling a bit fuzzy though. I won't stop drinking completely, however I have virtually cut my intake by about 80%. The sweet tooth thing, I can't get hold of enough Panacotta. Never liked sweet desserts, like Ravers I would have the cheese board. Lately though Panacotta and cheesecake, put it in front of me and I'll devour the lot in 10 seconds flat.

Thanks to @Ravers endorsement of low alcohol Ghost Ship, I've drunk less this week than in a long time.
OK, so I was already well down on a year back but pretty much halved that again.
Found that a 50/50 mix of Hobgoblin/Ghost Ship works fine for my taste, so one bottle of each is plenty & one bottle of wine over two dinners.
It's never been my intent to forswear booze entirely but to reduce the amount to a sensible level, which I ain't far off.

Just me and SWMBO at home last night. She had a bottle of white wine and I had 4 bottles of Warsteiner.

Drunk over the evening. Woke up feeling a bit fuzzy though. I won't stop drinking completely, however I have virtually cut my intake by about 80%. The sweet tooth thing, I can't get hold of enough Panacotta. Never liked sweet desserts, like Ravers I would have the cheese board. Lately though Panacotta and cheesecake, put it in front of me and I'll devour the lot in 10 seconds flat.

As I mentioned earlier, I substituted alcohol for Coca Cola for 20 years and ended up diabetic.
Before this thread I had never really corelated giving up alcohol with increased sugar consumption.

Thanks to @Ravers endorsement of low alcohol Ghost Ship, I've drunk less this week than in a long time.
OK, so I was already well down on a year back but pretty much halved that again.
Found that a 50/50 mix of Hobgoblin/Ghost Ship works fine for my taste, so one bottle of each is plenty & one bottle of wine over two dinners.
It's never been my intent to forswear booze entirely but to reduce the amount to a sensible level, which I ain't far off.

1/2 &1/2 low alc/normal beer... I can't believe that I didn't think of that. Good tip.

Apparently [CAMRA nerd] years ago it was standard drinking in pubs to have a blend, maybe half Porter, half light ale... [/CAMEA nerd] you're on to something there.

1/2 &1/2 low alc/normal beer... I can't believe that I didn't think of that. Good tip.

Apparently [CAMRA nerd] years ago it was standard drinking in pubs to have a blend, maybe half Porter, half light ale... [/CAMEA nerd] you're on to something there.
Top tip: Never ask for a 50/50 Guinness/bitter mix by it's generic name of a "Black & Tan" in an Irish pub.

Bitter & mild was what the old boys in my village local used to drink, the marginally younger light & bitter.

Bitter & mild was what the old boys in my village local used to drink, the marginally younger light & bitter.

I remember going in to pubs in West Cumbria as late as the mid 90's were the only two things on draft wee bitter and mild.
They had bottled cider (from the supermarket) for the rare occasions a lady visited.
Spirits were whisky, gin and vodka. No lager at all.

Some of them the bar was insided an old fashioned serving hatch. Vinyl floor, vinyl bench seating.
Entertainment consisted of a dartboard

Last edited:
I remember going in to pubs in West Cumbria as late as the mid 90's were the only two things on draft wee bitter and mild.
They had bottled cider (from the supermarket) for the rare occasions a lady visited.

Some of them the bar was insided an old fashioned serving hatch. Vinvul floor, vinyl bench seating.

My kind of pub.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Adnams do another one called Sole Star which is 0.9%.

Might be worth a look in case you want to wean yourself off slowly (which appears to be working for you).

Next week try that, then the week after move onto Ghost Ship without mixing it.

Just a thought.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Some of them the bar was insided an old fashioned serving hatch. Vinyl floor, vinyl bench seating.
Most of them are still like that.

When I first got my pad over there I was quite suprised to find how shit pubs were compared to the Lake District and my side of Cumbria (which is actually in the Yorkshire Dales National Park).

We’re very lucky up here and have some of the best small breweries in the country yet most of the pubs in Whitehaven only serve Fosters and Tetleys.

******* Marra, Labour voting peasants.

Most of them are still like that.

When I first got my pad over there I was quite suprised to find how shit pubs were compared to the Lake District and my side of Cumbria (which is actually in the Yorkshire Dales National Park).

We’re very lucky up here and have some of the best small breweries in the country yet most of the pubs in Whitehaven only serve Fosters and Tetleys.

******* Marra, Labour voting peasants.
Count yourself lucky; when I moved back up here in '76, it was Matty Brown's or the bad old Jennings. They did have lagers though Slalom & Ayingerbrau respectively...

One in my area in the Home Counties still like that. Entertainment also includes dominos, the Mummers at Christmas, & conversation :)

Rumours of a Wicker Man are just rumours...

The 1/5 of drinking I do to enjoy the taste. A good wine or new tipple etc. Now, if I focus on solely enjoyment drinking I drink 1-2 a week as opposed to every night, and I drink 1/4 of the amount I normally would of an evening.
This is something I have started focussing on now a lot more. Instead of a load of generic beers out of habit, or doing things for the sake of doing them I focus on what I like and limit it. So it is more of a treat than a habit.

For example I may splash out on a nice bottle of wine. On Saturday evening I have two large glasses, and save a glass for Sunday evening. All interspersed with plenty of soft drinks. And that is all I will drink in a week. No hangovers, high quality alcohol that I am actually savouring rather than chucking down the hatch as quickly as I can.