Going dry

Day 11 for me. I managed about 4 months last time I gave it a shot. I'm not enjoying it, so am trying for a second time to abandon it.

Lets see how I get on..

Heard a good one at tonight’s meeting. Having trusted to his HP one of the members said he was “under new management”. Rather liked that.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Ravers,
Keep drinking the Brew Dog Raspberry, I'm a shareholder so it will boost the profits :) My favourite is Clockwork Tangerine which is 4.5%, you never know in the future they may brew something which tastes similar without the alcoholic content.
Hell roast you sir. I was handed one of their stouts and wrote such a review one of them rang up with promises of free beer if I answered a load of questions.
I did. I also told them if the stout was the best they could do. They shouldn’t waste the price of the postage.

Never got the beer, still think the brew dogs stuff is overhyped, it used to be very popular in meeja circles. Usually drunk by people who didn’t like beer and stood suspiciously close to a pot plant.

Day 11 for me. I managed about 4 months last time I gave it a shot. I'm not enjoying it, so am trying for a second time to abandon it.

Lets see how I get on..
Weekends don’t count mat!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We’re doing Nosecco cocktails tonight.

As the name suggests Nosecco is basically a non alcoholic Prosecco.

On its own it’s a bit rank. Way too sweet for me and doesn’t really have any of the dryness of Prosecco or champagne. There are much better non alcoholic sparkling wines out there. Bees Knees sparkling and Sainsbury’s finest sparkling wine to name a couple.

We had a bottle knocking about so I thought I’d experiment and try and make it more palatable.

Splash of grapefruit syrup and some fresh strawberries has worked wonders, disguising much of the shitness. A bit of fresh lemon juice has really sorted it out though and killed some of the sweetness.

So top tip.

Make shit non alcoholic sparkling wine better by adding lemon juice.

Cheers.

Higher Power I assume.

I'm a week and a half in to being booze free. Compared to the couple of months at the end of last year with no mid-week drinking but getting shitfaced Friday and Saturday:

After the first difficult weekend I'm not missing it much today.

I shed weight like an ice cube previously (around 5 kilos in 3 weeks), not this time, probably due to the sweet tooth I've developed. I've bought more chocolate in the last week than I have in the last 2 years previously.

Sleep has been worse on average but is improving. Likewise, I felt generally knackered and lethargic all of last week but part of that was a viral sore throat which is pretty much gone now.

I'm hoping the sobriety buzz kicks in next week but on the bright side I reckon I've saved about a hundred quid on beer and associated takeaways so far.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Higher Power I assume.

I'm a week and a half in to being booze free. Compared to the couple of months at the end of last year with no mid-week drinking but getting shitfaced Friday and Saturday:

After the first difficult weekend I'm not missing it much today.

I shed weight like an ice cube previously (around 5 kilos in 3 weeks), not this time, probably due to the sweet tooth I've developed. I've bought more chocolate in the last week than I have in the last 2 years previously.

Sleep has been worse on average but is improving. Likewise, I felt generally knackered and lethargic all of last week but part of that was a viral sore throat which is pretty much gone now.

I'm hoping the sobriety buzz kicks in next week but on the bright side I reckon I've saved about a hundred quid on beer and associated takeaways so far.
Yeah the sweet tooth thing was a surprise for me. I’ve never been into sweet stuff that much at all. Always have the cheese board for dessert.

I thought it was genetic because my dad and his dad are the same.

Hadn’t occurred to me that both of them are alcoholics too.

Obviously alcohol (of all kinds) contains a **** load of sugar.

You aren’t getting that anymore so your body starts to crave it in different ways. For the first time ever I actually crave fruit sometimes.

Sometimes I’ll open the fridge and go “**** yeah, I really fancy an apple.”

Can’t be a bad thing.

I've dipped in and out of this thread.

I think 4/5 of my drinking is for habbit/something to do. On reflection I don't even like some of my drinking buddies (at the local) and wouldn't meet them if not drinking.

The 1/5 of drinking I do to enjoy the taste. A good wine or new tipple etc. Now, if I focus on solely enjoyment drinking I drink 1-2 a week as opposed to every night, and I drink 1/4 of the amount I normally would of an evening.

I've dipped in and out of this thread.

I think 4/5 of my drinking is for habbit/something to do. On reflection I don't even like some of my drinking buddies (at the local) and wouldn't meet them if not drinking.

The 1/5 of drinking I do to enjoy the taste. A good wine or new tipple etc. Now, if I focus on solely enjoyment drinking I drink 1-2 a week as opposed to every night, and I drink 1/4 of the amount I normally would of an evening.
I would agree with the something to do, however having kids to chuffered and mutt to walk has cut back intake

Don’t think the sweet tooth thing is unique to alkies as defined by AA. AIUI it’s about replacing the sugar in the alcohol.

Bad news is that there’s a theory that sugar is a toxin which affects sleep, or so my Acupuncturist was telling me today. It’s also a diuretic.

This could explain why I’m feeling rubbish in the mornings at the moment, & also with advancing age why I wake up for a piss (at least I wake up!) in the night. However I’ll cut out the vices one at a time I think...