Going dry

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think for me it was more about looking for excuses to have a drink.

I never relied on alcohol to help me through bad situations, I would never get home and go “bloody hell, I have to have a drink to get over today.”

I just liked booze a lot and if I could find an excuse to have some, I would.

I was just as likely to have a drink to celebrate a good day or because the sun was shining and it was a nice evening.
That's where we are different, I didn't look for excuses, I drank. Every day. I would have to have a reason to go home! Usually the reason is I had no more money and no more credit!

I didn't wake up of a morning and think maybe I will have a drink - I worked out when I would get the first of the day.

I didn't drink to hide problems, I drank and problems found me.

I am an alcoholic who has not had a drink since 05/08/2009 - some people say they are "Recovering Alcoholics", I see myself as an alcoholic but a recovered drunk.

Sorry, didn’t explain self well. As someone said at my meeting tonight she’d drink if it was a wedding, christening or funeral; if she’d had a good, bad or indifferent day; to cool down in the summer or warm up in the winter; or any number of “reasons”.

An alkie always has an excuse. It’s taken me a while to rationalise this as I always thought I had the first drink because of external factors then kicked the arrse out of it because I’m an alkie. Now I know the external factors didn’t help a lot of the time, but I drank because I am an alcoholic.

I didn't wake up of a morning and think maybe I will have a drink - I worked out when I would get the first of the day.
Towards the end that was me. At times it was like doublethink in 1984, I would be in the car to work saying to myself repeatedly “I’m not going to drink today” while simultaneously trying to remember which of the off licences & petrol stations on the way home I’d be calling into to get my vodka for the night, and where I’d dispose of the bottles.

Classy drunk, me, didn’t want to go to the same place two nights running so no one in the shops would realise I had a problem. It was bloody hard work trying to be a secret drinker!

I didn't drink to hide problems, I drank and problems found me.
And looking back pretty much everything that has gone wrong for me in life, if I am completely honest about it, has been related to my drinking or to my alcoholic mind before I started...

Good question.

For some people who are struggling with booze, non alcoholic versions can become a trigger which steers them down a path back to booze.

For me it’s about doing the things I enjoy (drinking beer) but just without the getting pissed part. I like pubs but not being pissed, so I can still go to a pub and have a beer.

I still like the ritual of having a beer, finding and tasting different ones. I just do it with non alcoholic ones instead. Thankfully there are tons and tons of decent non alcoholic beers out there, with new ones coming out all the time. It’ll take a lifetime to try them all.

Likewise parties, I don’t feel like I’m missing out. I’m drinking the same thing as everyone else, G&Ts, champagne (alright sparkling wine) and beer. Only difference is my drinks don’t contain alcohol.

I suppose part of it is the placebo effect and conning myself into believing I’m still drinking. A decent non alcoholic beer now can trigger the same relaxing feeling that I used to get from a real pint.

The big thing is I haven’t changed my lifestyle that much at all. I’ve just cut out the one harmful ingredient that was causing me trouble. I am not the orange juice or pint of coke guy.

It’s like people who are gluten free. You can still have gluten free bread. It’s the same shit (nearly) but the bad ingredient isn’t there.
Almost biblical post there mate, next thing you will be going vegan
!

My own findings thus far, although since I started the Instagram page last week I’ve literally discovered hundreds of new ones I want to try.

1) Adnams Ghost Ship. This is the real deal, a proper pint of bitter. Would probably struggle in a blind taste test to distinguish this from a nice session ale.

2) Pure Brew (by Guiness). My favourite non alcoholic lager.

3) Infinite Sessions IPA. Not bad at all.

4) Brew Dog Nanny State. Decent stuff but lacks the finish and aftertaste of the Adnams. It tastes like proper beer but with something slightly missing from the flavour. Good enough to enjoy in its own right though.

5) Infinite Sessions Pils. A very decent lager, but not quite as good as the Pure Brew in my opinion.

Also rans.....

St Peters Without. A bit of an acquired taste. It’s a thick dark ale with a really really malty taste. I mean really malty. It’s a little too sweet. Still drinkable but the malt is so overpowering. If you’ve ever tried home brewing, it tastes just like the beer before you’ve fermented it.

Bavaria Holland. A cheap lager. It’s as good as Heineken Zero or Becks Blue (which isn’t a massive accolade) but you can pick it up for 25p a can in Home Bargains. At that price you can forgive it.

Follow Mr_and_Mrs_Sober on Instagram for more reviews and details.
Ravers,
Do you have any data on how the top 6 compare in calories / sugar content against similar beers/lagers containing alcohol? THis would be interesting as a driver for people wanting to cut calories from alcohol as well as the effects of alcohol linked to driving etc.
Cheers!

Ravers,
Do you have any data on how the top 6 compare in calories / sugar content against similar beers/lagers containing alcohol? THis would be interesting as a driver for people wanting to cut calories from alcohol as well as the effects of alcohol linked to driving etc.
Cheers!
Not just that, I knoecked drink on the head over 20 years ago.
I replaced it with Coca Cola. Years down the line I end up diabetic.....

2 bottles of Wobbly.
Worst nights sleep I've had all week, had to get up for a pee in the night. Got a dry mouth and a fuzzy head and just feel bleurgh!

Lemon and ginger herbal tea tonight.
**** it. I don't need alcohol.

"May be"

Businesses like Heineken will likely not take the risk.

Needs tax sweeteners.
Sell it at the same price as normal beers but you're buying it for less due to the lower costs because of not having to pay the duty on alcohol.

If it's costing more than the real thing or the same, there's either a rip off happening or production costs are a bit silly.

I’m not gonna preach to anyone on here, but this is exactly how things got out of hand for me.

I’d try and cut back on my boozing and limit it to weekends only or special occasions or whatever.

Then I’d have a shit day at work and think, “ah **** it, I’ll have a couple of beers tonight. Just this once.”

Then I’d have two shit days in a row and drink both nights.

Then we’d go out for a meal and obviously you gotta have a bottle of wine with a nice meal.

Then I’d end up having a beer on Thursday because “**** it it’s nearly Friday.”

And eventually I was back to the old ways. Drinking every single night and always with a shit reason to justify it to myself.

And that’s why I gave up completely.

Try a Warsteiner Zero next time you feel like you need a beer after work.
Exactly like me. Ultimately I couldn’t do what I said I would and just have the one. Like buttons gone for me too

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ravers,
Cheers!
I’ll have a skeg at the bottles next time.

I know the Infinite Sessions are 36 calories, which I gather is quite low. I would imagine most of the others are around that mark.

To be honest I’ve never had to watch the calories in my life so it’s never really been of interest to me.

Edit just had a peak at some of the brews I’ve got lurking in the back of the fridge. Most don’t have any indication of calorie content on the bottle or can that I can see.

Fat content on all of them is zero or around 0.1g per 100. I’m guessing that’s good?

I have heard that non alcoholic beers tend to contain quite a lot of carbs (no more than alcoholic) so that’s something to consider.

But on the whole pretty healthy. A hell of a lot healthier than a coke or an alcoholic beer.

Last edited:
Last night I had my first alcohol since Sunday. Morrison's Low alcohol cider. I know it's only up to 1% but I decided to stop after two 500ml bottles even though I was tempted to have another. I wonder if drinking a session of low alcohol beers and ciders panders to a session memory or habit. Anyway, by limiting it instead of necking several, it reduces calorific intake and cost (£1/bottle).

Ingredients:
Water, cider, apple juice from concentrate, sugar, malic acid, carbon dioxide, preservative (potassium metabisulphite).
Energy: 150kcal
Units: 0.5 (500ml)

Just cracked open a 4 pack of Brew Dog Raspberry Blitz.

Bought it for the wife but it’s too “beery” for her. She’s into really sweet shit like Kopperberg non alcoholic.

It’s totally different to what I was expecting. Tastes like watery lager with a very subtle hint of really sour raspberry.

Not a lot of finish on it. The taste hits you when it’s in your mouth but goes away immediately.

It’s kind of nice. I can imagine it being very refreshing on a summer day.
Ravers,
Keep drinking the Brew Dog Raspberry, I'm a shareholder so it will boost the profits :) My favourite is Clockwork Tangerine which is 4.5%, you never know in the future they may brew something which tastes similar without the alcoholic content.

Ravers,
Cheers!
The Ghost Ship is around half the calories of a normal beer (115 vs 220) but near the same regarding carbs (21.8g vs 22g).

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just discovered Estrella Free Damm.

Really struggling to differentiate it from the real stuff. Has the right smell and everything. This is the best lager I’ve tried so far.

This has summer BBQ written all over it.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lots of people tell me that the low alc lager is getting better all the time.
Yep.

Have a read of that article that was posted on the previous page. Very interesting.

It’s supply and demand.

More people are cutting down on booze for various reasons.

Awareness of health issues, part of a healthier lifestyle, social stigma attached to pissed up phots of you on Facebook, tougher drink driving penalties etc. etc.

But people still like beer.

People are waking up to the fact that you can drink without getting drunk and the breweries are responding with some seriously good products.

This Free Damm would have me fooled in a blind taste.