Going dry

I'm a wee bit wary about Kombucha. SWMBO brews a tea-based version, using a scoby provided by a friend, and it definitely has alcohol present. It's very low, probably less than 1%, but I can still taste it, and therefore it's on my verboten list . . . just in case it sets me off again.
Thanks for that. At the moment I only drink the commercial stuff, which is labelled non-alcoholic, but I’ll bear in mind if making my own.

Just buy a bottle of plain live kombucha from a health food place, and add it to your brew, it will start to make a scoby very quickly.
Cheers. Think I read about that but had completely forgotten. I passed two health food shops when out for bike bits today too!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thought @Ravers might find this interesting:

View attachment 370876

Funny I’m a teetotal CAMRA member. Keeping the membership on for now as the Association’s Revitalisation Project has added campaigning for pubs as well as real ale, I may not drink alcohol but there’s still a value for me in these aims.
Do you mind if I rob this for my Instagram page please? What paper was it published in so I can give appropriate credit?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just cracked open a 4 pack of Brew Dog Raspberry Blitz.

Bought it for the wife but it’s too “beery” for her. She’s into really sweet shit like Kopperberg non alcoholic.

It’s totally different to what I was expecting. Tastes like watery lager with a very subtle hint of really sour raspberry.

Not a lot of finish on it. The taste hits you when it’s in your mouth but goes away immediately.

It’s kind of nice. I can imagine it being very refreshing on a summer day.

Do you mind if I rob this for my Instagram page please? What paper was it published in so I can give appropriate credit?
It’s from CAMRA’s “What’s Brewing” dated Feb 18. I don’t tend to keep the paper, but this was in a pile of unopened circulars.

Just don’t say I passed it on. I don’t want to be duffed up by angry, bearded men in sandals, socks & Shepton Mallet Folk Festival 1973 T-shirts straining over their ample bellies ;)

Just cracked open a 4 pack of Brew Dog Raspberry Blitz.

Bought it for the wife but it’s too “beery” for her. She’s into really sweet shit like Kopperberg non alcoholic.
[snip]
Not a lot of finish on it. The taste hits you when it’s in your mouth but goes away immediately.

It’s kind of nice. I can imagine it being very refreshing on a summer day.
Hmm. That's something I've also found with the ultra low/no alcohol stuff, not just the Ghost Ship (which works great for me mixed 50/50 with assorted IPA's so far).
I shall have to go through what's available locally & see if it's a common trait.

**** it. Me and the Mrs have both had shit days in work. She's having a glass of wine and I've got 2 bottles of Warsteiner.
Lime cordial ain't gonna hit the spot tonight. However, these will be the first beers all week, rather than the 4 a night that I usually tucked away.

I'm not going teetotal as Captain Plume has had too, but I am severely curtailing my alcohol intake.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do we have a top half dozen of drinkable non alcoholic beers yet?
My own findings thus far, although since I started the Instagram page last week I’ve literally discovered hundreds of new ones I want to try.

1) Adnams Ghost Ship. This is the real deal, a proper pint of bitter. Would probably struggle in a blind taste test to distinguish this from a nice session ale.

2) Pure Brew (by Guiness). My favourite non alcoholic lager.

3) Infinite Sessions IPA. Not bad at all.

4) Brew Dog Nanny State. Decent stuff but lacks the finish and aftertaste of the Adnams. It tastes like proper beer but with something slightly missing from the flavour. Good enough to enjoy in its own right though.

5) Infinite Sessions Pils. A very decent lager, but not quite as good as the Pure Brew in my opinion.

Also rans.....

St Peters Without. A bit of an acquired taste. It’s a thick dark ale with a really really malty taste. I mean really malty. It’s a little too sweet. Still drinkable but the malt is so overpowering. If you’ve ever tried home brewing, it tastes just like the beer before you’ve fermented it.

Bavaria Holland. A cheap lager. It’s as good as Heineken Zero or Becks Blue (which isn’t a massive accolade) but you can pick it up for 25p a can in Home Bargains. At that price you can forgive it.

Follow Mr_and_Mrs_Sober on Instagram for more reviews and details.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hmm. That's something I've also found with the ultra low/no alcohol stuff, not just the Ghost Ship (which works great for me mixed 50/50 with assorted IPA's so far).
I shall have to go through what's available locally & see if it's a common trait.
It seems especially prevalent with the Brew Dog stuff.

Try Infinite Sessions. A bit more finish. They sell it in Booths.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
**** it. Me and the Mrs have both had shit days in work. She's having a glass of wine and I've got 2 bottles of Warsteiner.
Lime cordial ain't gonna hit the spot tonight. However, these will be the first beers all week, rather than the 4 a night that I usually tucked away.

I'm not going teetotal as Captain Plume has had too, but I am severely curtailing my alcohol intake.
I’m not gonna preach to anyone on here, but this is exactly how things got out of hand for me.

I’d try and cut back on my boozing and limit it to weekends only or special occasions or whatever.

Then I’d have a shit day at work and think, “ah **** it, I’ll have a couple of beers tonight. Just this once.”

Then I’d have two shit days in a row and drink both nights.

Then we’d go out for a meal and obviously you gotta have a bottle of wine with a nice meal.

Then I’d end up having a beer on Thursday because “**** it it’s nearly Friday.”

And eventually I was back to the old ways. Drinking every single night and always with a shit reason to justify it to myself.

And that’s why I gave up completely.

Try a Warsteiner Zero next time you feel like you need a beer after work.

I see where you're coming from Ravers.
I'm determined to cut back as I'm saving to go back to see my sister in Australia. Some things are more important than the booze.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
My own findings thus far, although since I started the Instagram page last week I’ve literally discovered hundreds of new ones I want to try.

1) Adnams Ghost Ship. This is the real deal, a proper pint of bitter. Would probably struggle in a blind taste test to distinguish this from a nice session ale.

2) Pure Brew (by Guiness). My favourite non alcoholic lager.

3) Infinite Sessions IPA. Not bad at all.

4) Brew Dog Nanny State. Decent stuff but lacks the finish and aftertaste of the Adnams. It tastes like proper beer but with something slightly missing from the flavour. Good enough to enjoy in its own right though.

5) Infinite Sessions Pils. A very decent lager, but not quite as good as the Pure Brew in my opinion.

Also rans.....

St Peters Without. A bit of an acquired taste. It’s a thick dark ale with a really really malty taste. I mean really malty. It’s a little too sweet. Still drinkable but the malt is so overpowering. If you’ve ever tried home brewing, it tastes just like the beer before you’ve fermented it.

Bavaria Holland. A cheap lager. It’s as good as Heineken Zero or Becks Blue (which isn’t a massive accolade) but you can pick it up for 25p a can in Home Bargains. At that price you can forgive it.

Follow Mr_and_Mrs_Sober on Instagram for more reviews and details.
Ta. Glad it’s not that Brew Dog stuff over hyped and bogging.
It’ll be interesting to see what’s available.

anglo

LE
Not taking the P*ss here, Why drink non alcoholic beer or non alcoholic spirits, when you stop drinkng
alcohol?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ta. Glad it’s not that Brew Dog stuff over hyped and bogging.
It’ll be interesting to see what’s available.
Warsteiner Zero also pretty good. One of the better mainstream lagers as opposed to Becks Blue or Heineken Zero.

In all seriousness though that Adnams one is very very good. Head and shoulders above everything else I’ve tried so far.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not taking the P*ss here, Why drink non alcoholic beer or non alcoholic spirits, when you stop drinkng
alcohol?
Good question.

For some people who are struggling with booze, non alcoholic versions can become a trigger which steers them down a path back to booze.

For me it’s about doing the things I enjoy (drinking beer) but just without the getting pissed part. I like pubs but not being pissed, so I can still go to a pub and have a beer.

I still like the ritual of having a beer, finding and tasting different ones. I just do it with non alcoholic ones instead. Thankfully there are tons and tons of decent non alcoholic beers out there, with new ones coming out all the time. It’ll take a lifetime to try them all.

Likewise parties, I don’t feel like I’m missing out. I’m drinking the same thing as everyone else, G&Ts, champagne (alright sparkling wine) and beer. Only difference is my drinks don’t contain alcohol.

I suppose part of it is the placebo effect and conning myself into believing I’m still drinking. A decent non alcoholic beer now can trigger the same relaxing feeling that I used to get from a real pint.

The big thing is I haven’t changed my lifestyle that much at all. I’ve just cut out the one harmful ingredient that was causing me trouble. I am not the orange juice or pint of coke guy.

It’s like people who are gluten free. You can still have gluten free bread. It’s the same shit (nearly) but the bad ingredient isn’t there.

alcohol?
Beer tastes good. The alcohol free stuff means I can have the taste of a beer without the getting drunk bit.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suppose you could also ask “what is the point of going out and having one (alcoholic) pint?”

Plenty of people do. I’ve worked behind bars long enough to know that a lot of people will just come in for a single pint of 3.8% bitter.

What’s the point? That won’t get you pissed. It barely even registers. But people still do it.

Why not do it without the harmful effect of alcohol?

In fact why not have 2 or even 3 beers and then drive home safe in the knowledge that you aren’t over the limit, haven’t popped a cork you can’t get back on and will continue drinking when you get home and wake up the next day with a stinker of a hangover, that makes you want to blow your brains out?

...And eventually I was back to the old ways. Drinking every single night and always with a shit reason to justify it to myself...
That’s a lot of what AA’s about. Learning how to cope with the sh!t reasons without having a drink.

Said it before on here but saying and believing the serenity prayer is what I think made it all click for me.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That’s a lot of what AA’s about. Learning how to cope with the sh!t reasons without having a drink.

Said it before on here but saying and believing the serenity prayer is what I think made it all click for me.
I think for me it was more about looking for excuses to have a drink.

I never relied on alcohol to help me through bad situations, I would never get home and go “bloody hell, I have to have a drink to get over today.”

I just liked booze a lot and if I could find an excuse to have some, I would.

I was just as likely to have a drink to celebrate a good day or because the sun was shining and it was a nice evening.

Latest Threads