Going dry

I’m slightly disturbed at how much I can sink and still sit here typing legibly
I can easily get through a bottle of wine and a good amount of bourbon, if I am pacing myself, and happily type away and do work without any problems. I've done a good many work presentations and other things in this manner. Put some music on the headphones, have a glass of something nice next to you, zone out for a good few hours and do some great work. Granted, this is not an everyday/ super frequent thing but I used to do it fairly regularly.

When I worked in Main Building I commuted to work by motorbike. I lost track of the amount of times that someone said to me "go on, one won't hurt" to which I'd inevitably say "but coming off my bike will". Perhaps a large motorcycle is the solution? Hell of an excuse..,
Unfortunately, a mate didn't see it that way. Over a decade later, what remains is still in hospital, and will never leave.

In my case it became a choice of drink or ride, and I chose the expensive option.

Unfortunately, a mate didn't see it that way. Over a decade later, what remains is still in hospital, and will never leave.

In my case it became a choice of drink or ride, and I chose the expensive option.
I'm sorry for your friend, but I think I'd already had a close shave with a car. It was enough of a wake up call for me never to touch booze whilst on a bike.

Whilst a young subbie in Berlin, we had an arrangement that, just about every night, we would take somebody's car into NAAFI Platz, sink a few in the Officer's Club, then head downtown (often ending in the Irish Harp). Then we'd take a taxi back to Smuts.

So, one Sunday I woke up to see that the gorilla had trashed my room, while my head felt like...(you get the picture). As I staggered to the curtains I was thinking about how to get back to recover my car...and there, lo, in the car park, it was, in all its glory, occupying 4 parking spaces, all the doors open and two dim brown lights on.

I spent the whole of Sunday in fear waiting for the RMP to turn up, as it was inconceivable that I could have made it back to Spandau without having an incident. Yet it seems I did.

I remember nothing of it, but I don't drink and drive now.

Three months sober on Friday gone. It’s precarious & I need to be watchful, but it’s a start...

Three months sober on Friday gone. It’s precarious & I need to be watchful, but it’s a start...
My bold.

I have been dry since mid-Aug, but I fell off the horse last night and put away 5 or 6 glasses of wine. Boy, did I feel like stir-fried s**t this morning!!

I can't put my finger on why I decided that getting on the turps was a good thing to do - maybe boredom, maybe internal celebration of submitting a fairly hefty chunk of a dissertation. Either way, entirely counter-productively I decided to bin my dry push, albeit for only one evening.

Oh well, best foot forward, back on the horse again...........

‘Cos I need some blood tests at the moment, I’ve been dry for about 6 weeks.

I haven’t noticed the slightest difference to mood, health or fitness if I’m honest.

I picked up a pop star over the weekend... family friend is a musician who still makes a few quid off royalty's, its early evening & he's utterly shit faced & I had to help lift him of the floor of the pub & get him sat down.

I found it rather saddening to see him in that state, however its a bit of inside knowledge for an obscure member of dead pool 2019 ;)

Oh well, best foot forward, back on the horse again...........
All one can do. What I like about AA is that no one judges if someone has a lapse/relapse. Two friends, both of whom I thought were absolutely solid, lapsed in the last week. Both were devastated but showed the guts tocome back & share this.

All they got was love & support. That's the kind of group I like...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
4 cans for a quid in Home Bargains.

Suprisingly not that bad.

It’s no Becks Blue but it’s a hell of a lot better than some of the others out there.

BC3E9337-5E39-4B67-AEB2-CFA8A6F93385.jpeg

I suspended a driver last week.

Minor bump, he collapsed shortly afterwards. Ambulance called, suspected stroke. Four passers by and three paramedics all thought he was in a bad way and I'm told exhibiting all the classic signs of a mild stroke.

He hadn't had a stroke. He was falling down drunk.

Hospital ran blood tests after doing an emergency scan thinking he was in a bad way. His blood test showed him to be four times over the drink drive limit.

Police did not attend and he didn't get breathalysed. I've spoken to Police and they are investigating why they weren't informed by the ambulance service or the hospital.

I turned up several hours later to collect him from the hospital and after a difficult dance around the houses (medical staff couldn't tell me it was alcohol related without his consent) to find he had crashed my van because he was shitfaced. I breathalysed him myself 6 hours after the accident and he was still treble the limit. 15 hours after he had started his shift.

He had been drinking whilst out driving. I cannot fathom what he thought he was doing,
When he consented for the nurse to tell me their findings he said "yes, but they are lying, it isn;t true"

He has had three random breath tests in the last 3 months, all without the slightest trace of anything.
I am genuinely outraged, thats two of my drivers in the last 2 months unemployed because they have a drink problem.
I have seriously considered (and still am) resigning over the last few days because their is evidently a drink problem amongst my allegedly proffesional drivers that I cannot get a grip of.

Last edited:
my allegedly proffesional drivers that I cannot get a grip of.
Might have mention this before...

Co. which delivers furniture ect... They operate lutons & bigger class 2 type hgv's

Driver got stopped drink driving in own car & was waiting to got to court 2.5 over the limit

Represented by his probation officer who said he was an upstanding citizen despite having a PO for battering his ex GF got 9 points & no ban. WFT

Might have mention this before...

Co. which delivers furniture ect... They operate lutons & bigger class 2 type hgv's

Driver got stopped drink driving in own car & was waiting to got to court 2.5 over the limit

Represented by his probation officer who said he was an upstanding citizen despite having a PO for battering his ex GF got 9 points & no ban. WFT

I cannot reconcile myself to the fact that my driver was sitting in A&E having crashed into another vehicle, the hospital knows he is four times over the drink drive limit and the Police aren't there to lock him up

I don't generally do outrage, but I;ve been looking for the keys to the bus for several days.

Minor bump, he collapsed shortly afterwards. Ambulance called, suspected stroke. Four passers by and three paramedics all thought he was in a bad way and I'm told exhibiting all the classic signs of a mild stroke.

Hospital ran blood tests after doing an emergency scan thinking he was in a bad way. His blood test showed him to be four times over the drink drive limit.

Police did not attend and he didn't get breathalysed. I've spoken to Police and they are investigating why they weren't informed by the ambulance service or the hospital.

I turned up several hours later to collect him from the hospital and after a difficult dance around the houses (medical staff couldn't tell me it was alcohol related without his consent) to find he had crashed my van because he was shitfaced. I breathalysed him myself 6 hours after the accident and he was still treble the limit. 15 hours after he had started his shift.

He had been drinking whilst out driving. I cannot fathom what he thought he was doing,
When he consented for the nurse to tell me their findings he said "yes, but they are lying, it isn;t true"

He has had three random breath tests in the last 3 months, all without the slightest trace of anything.
I am genuinely outraged, thats two of my drivers in the last 2 months unemployed because they have a drink problem.
I have seriously considered (and still am) resigning over the last few days because their is evidently a drink problem amongst my allegedly proffesional drivers that I cannot get a grip of.
Don't give in to the drunks, why should you lose out,
you need to look at this
Alcolock GB | The Alcohol Activated Vehicle Immobiliser

The worrying thing is that you are almost certainly not the only Transport Manager in the country with this problem.

What can you do personally, apart from a bit of preaching and informing people about the dangers? The only way you can enforce and straighten this out is if you have mandatory breathalyzer tests before the start of every shift or even better (and far more expensive option) install a breathalyzer lock thingy to the ignition which they have to blow every time they start the vehicle.

Hell, even pilots are turning up drunk and getting caught so...you're not alone with your problems.

That said, alcohol and alcoholism in particular is a very bad disease which causes normally rational and intelligent people to do stupid things. I should know personally.