Going dry

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
I struggle to find a reason not to have a drink Friday & Saturday nights. It's weirdly really important to me.

I can take it or leave it during the week, and no drinking on a school night is p1ss easy, but the weekend thing is where I struggle.

It's rare that I go either a Fri or Sat night without high-strength cider or 4/5 large V&T's. If I don't drink it's usually because I'm not feeling well, or a rare night of being Dad Taxi (wife usually covers weekend), but even then I'm calculating what I can drink once I'm back home with one of the Cav minors.

My other issue is kicking the arse out of it.
The whole family went to Oxford to celebrate my daughter's 18th. We did one of those 'all you can drink' restaurants, where endless cocktails are interspersed with fatty food.

10 cocktails later, we leave and I insist on taking my boys (both adults) to the pub. They didn't indulge, but I had a Cider and Large Red wine. It was still only 1pm by this point (We started on the cocktails at 10:15).

Cue getting the bus back home. I ran to a Metro Tesco to pick some Weston Cider (8.3%abv) which I drank on the bus. Then we went to the pub, where I hammered the Cider. As you can imagine, but this time I was staggering all over and then asleep in the pub garden. It wasn't a good look.

I know it's a hangover (No pun) from when I was in the Cav in Germany in the late 80's and had a serious drink issue, but I can't seem to shake this idea that I must have a drink at weekend.

It was that bad back then that I recall sitting on the turret floor doing something or other and found a forgotten stash of exercise beer. Even though it was luke warm and mid morning, I dank them all. It was one of the reasons I wanted out of the Cav, to break the cycle of never-ending alcohol abuse.
QOH kicking the arse out of it was the norm.
Friday night with the lads
Saturday with the lasses.
I‘m sorry if that sounds crass.

I think someone on here, Ravers? Posted something that came to mind earlier this month.

I haven’t had a drink in almost five years, never had a problem just stopped because I was on call for six months pretty much without a break and I wouldn’t have one and consider driving, once I didn’t need to be available as much and I noticed how I didn’t miss it I thought why bother.

Dropped a load of weight, no hangovers or paying for cabs etc. No downside.

It was my wife’s birthday earlier this month and she got given a bottle of champagne by a friend, I said to her sister pop round and have a drink with her before we go out, the other sister said why don’t I have a drink with her as it’s her birthday.

What don’t people get, if you don’t drink you don’t drink, no one is going to say to someone who gave up heroin go on have a bit it’s your birthday etc.

Can’t see the point in non alcoholic beers, some are nice including the Guiness but it’s just dead calories so I tend not to have them, I’m like a crackhead for Pepsi max Cherry though

QOH kicking the arse out of it was the norm.
Friday night with the lads
Saturday with the lasses.
I‘m sorry if that sounds crass.

Not at all, you're bang on, although it wasn't just us. I was attached or had experience with several regiments/Corps, and they were mostly all the same. The one that I found had the most tolerance was the RAOC/RLC, mostly because we had a real day job, rather then just tipping up on the Tank park hungover and avoiding the endless fatigues or mundane oil topping-up and 'maintenance'

The culture was what is was in the QOH, but for me it became all consuming. I would be at the Naafi bar when it opened and the one getting hoofed out by the ROS when it closed, and this when I wasn't doing allnighters in the Sqn bars at weekends. I arrived in Feb '87 as a wild-eyed keen sprog with big hopes. When I transferred out in middle '89, I was a useless fat drunken mess. For me it was a turning point in my life, however I'm still trying to cope with the legacy of sometimes extreme drinking

Issi

LE
That’s so very familiar. I’m kicking myself now at all of the opportunities I missed in Germany as my weekends were usually spent sobering up before starting again a few hours later.

I struggle to find a reason not to have a drink Friday & Saturday nights. It's weirdly really important to me.

My wife and I are the same, it's a throwback from our years in Germany; I've been getting fucked about all week with section/ platoon/ coy shenanigans, she's been having a rare time entertaining kids at Shackleton Primary.

Come Friday evening I literally manage 4-5 pints before hoovering up a chicken rollo from Donner Palast or cheese pizza from City Pizza and falling asleep at 11pm, her after a bottle of cheap German red. Repeat Saturday. A few drinks just to relax watching DVDs on TV.

It's ritualised behaviour we still indulge when both off Friday and/ or Saturday to signal 'us' time.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you don't mind me asking Ravers,

Are you staying off the Booze for good?
Yeah. Might smash a bottle of single malt whisky on my death bed just for shits and giggles, but otherwise that’s me done.

Booze really doesn’t work for me and I’m pretty repulsed at the thought of it now.

Yeah. Might smash a bottle of single malt whisky on my death bed just for shits and giggles, but otherwise that’s me done.

Booze really doesn’t work for me and I’m pretty repulsed at the thought of it now.
That is great news Ravers.
It is for the greater good l am sure.

I had 3 Cans of Fosters Lager at my Cousin's BBQ a few weeks back (my first Drinks in four months)......I felt guilty afterwards.

In an earlier post I mentioned I was going on a week long swimming holiday/training camp in Sardinia and that in the past part of the fun was the relaxing of an evening over a few beers wine etc and how I would cope

Well I lasted the week without having a single drink, which quite honestly surprised me, didn’t at any stage feel the need despite being surrounded by others drinking.

I even managed to not have a stiffener when we had our dive boat which acted as our tender sank with us on board on the way to one of our swims. Luckily we were rescued by nearby boats and the Italian Coastguard.

A successful and satisfying outcome to the week, and I did not drown.

Latest Threads