Going dry

Chef

LE
Agreed tbh. If it achieves 'the effect' then so long as it's palatable and reasonably priced, right?
If it's 'the effect' one's searching for it'll eventually be Swedish Beaujolais, as Paul Whicker the tall vicar once said,

'Tastes like creosote but it gets you there.'

If it's 'the effect' one's searching for it'll eventually be Swedish Beaujolais, as Paul Whicker the tall vicar once said,

'Tastes like creosote but it gets you there.'

Much like the Geordie Gaijin, I'm similarly curious why so many 'problem' drinkers consider taste of their NA beverages as key over say alcohol content, though I realise I've conflated people who misuse (or have misused) alcohol with alcoholics.

Chef

LE
Much like the Geordie Gaijin, I'm similarly curious why so many 'problem' drinkers consider taste of their NA beverages as key over say alcohol content, though I realise I've conflated people who misuse (or have misused) alcohol with alcoholics.
Two thoughts present themselves to me, they're heavy drinkers and really do consider taste first.

Or they're worried about the amount they're drinking but are denying it's a problem because 'I'm discerning in what I drink'. Quite often I've noticed thatthose in the second category, 'Never drink anything but quality lager' will switch to Guinness or real ale without hesitation if the lager's off.

That is only my opinion though.

There are some cracking non-alcoholic beers on the market now, some of my favourites are:

Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5%
Adnams Sole Trader
St Peters Without
Old Speckled Hen 0%

The St Peters is stunning good and refreshing, did start drinking 0% cider and then realised it is just Appletiser .
The Old Speckled Hen unleaded is so good, I missed OSH when I couldn't get it and it would have been one of the beers I missed when I first radically cut down alcohol.

Perhaps unwisely I had some G&Ts at a work social the other night, and before you know it was going "You don't know man you're weren't there" on a few issues. Oops.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The Old Speckled Hen unleaded is so good, I missed OSH when I couldn't get it and it would have been one of the beers I missed when I first radically cut down alcohol.

Perhaps unwisely I had some G&Ts at a work social the other night, and before you know it was going "You don't know man you're weren't there" on a few issues. Oops.
Your posts on here got better, though.

Apparently the next big thing in NA drinks is ones that contain CBD.

Seeing a lot of these cropping up now, with claims of chilled out calm feelings, health benefits and no hangovers.

Obviously these don’t contain THC or they wouldn’t be legal, but I’m a little wary due to the fact I undergo CDTs for both work and the reserves.

Anyway worth a try for anyone who fancies it.
Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away*, I was a guest speaker about hemp in biofuels and construction materials at a "420" event run by local branches of the legalise cannabis campaign and the like. The police allowed a small unofficial tollerance zone, which the assembeld stoners seemed to think was a trap so insisted on smoking outside it and getting caught.
I also made the mistake of dressing like a grown up, but that's another story.
One of the sponsors had donated several short dated slabs of a hemp energy drink with vitamins from the Netherlands, so slabs were being given away as prizes, cans were being given away to all and sundry including the police in attendance. I had a couple before someone checked the ingredients and discovered that yes it did contain THC and shouldn't have got through customs. (whether by accident or deliberately the suppliers had sent the wrong stuff, but with the paperwork for the CBD only version).
£45 quid for my car to get towed home as I didn't want to leave it in the area and wouldn't risk driving. I told them they should put out an announcement warning people but I didn't check they did.

*It was Glasgow Green between the Clyde and Clydesdale Rowing Clubs (west boathouse), and the Glasgow University Boat Club.

I struggle to find a reason not to have a drink Friday & Saturday nights. It's weirdly really important to me.

I can take it or leave it during the week, and no drinking on a school night is p1ss easy, but the weekend thing is where I struggle.

It's rare that I go either a Fri or Sat night without high-strength cider or 4/5 large V&T's. If I don't drink it's usually because I'm not feeling well, or a rare night of being Dad Taxi (wife usually covers weekend), but even then I'm calculating what I can drink once I'm back home with one of the Cav minors.

My other issue is kicking the arse out of it.
The whole family went to Oxford to celebrate my daughter's 18th. We did one of those 'all you can drink' restaurants, where endless cocktails are interspersed with fatty food.

10 cocktails later, we leave and I insist on taking my boys (both adults) to the pub. They didn't indulge, but I had a Cider and Large Red wine. It was still only 1pm by this point (We started on the cocktails at 10:15).

Cue getting the bus back home. I ran to a Metro Tesco to pick some Weston Cider (8.3%abv) which I drank on the bus. Then we went to the pub, where I hammered the Cider. As you can imagine, but this time I was staggering all over and then asleep in the pub garden. It wasn't a good look.

I know it's a hangover (No pun) from when I was in the Cav in Germany in the late 80's and had a serious drink issue, but I can't seem to shake this idea that I must have a drink at weekend.

It was that bad back then that I recall sitting on the turret floor doing something or other and found a forgotten stash of exercise beer. Even though it was luke warm and mid morning, I dank them all. It was one of the reasons I wanted out of the Cav, to break the cycle of never-ending alcohol abuse.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
You really think it was just Cav in BAOR?
Anyone with vehicles other than one tonne landies. We had to pretend that the grown ups had organised our piss ups!
The insanity of the front seat passenger holding the steering wheel whilst the driver carries out a 3D yawn on the autobahn seems funny at the time

You really think it was just Cav in BAOR?

Of course not, but I experienced a hell of a lot less of it in the RAOC than I did in the Cav

Chef

LE
I struggle to find a reason not to have a drink Friday & Saturday nights. It's weirdly really important to me.

I can take it or leave it during the week, and no drinking on a school night is p1ss easy, but the weekend thing is where I struggle.

It's rare that I go either a Fri or Sat night without high-strength coder or 4/5 large V&T's. If I don't drink it's usually because I'm not feeling well, or a rare night of being Dad Taxi (wife usually covers weekend), but even then I'm calculating what I can drink once I'm back home with one of the Cav minors.

My other issue is kicking the arse out of it.
The whole family went to Oxford to celebrate my daughter's 18th. We did one of those 'all you can drink' restaurants, where endless cocktails are interspersed with fatty food.

10 cocktails later, we leave and I insist on taking my boys (both adults) to the pub. They didn't indulge, but I had a Cider and Large Red wine. It was still only 1pm by this point (We started on the cocktails at 10:15).

Cue getting the bus back home. I ran to a Metro Tesco to pick some Weston Cider (8.3%abv) which I drank on the bus. Then we went to the pub, where I hammered the Cider. As you can imagine, but this time I was staggering all over and then asleep in the pub garden. It wasn't a good look.

I know it's a hangover (No pun) when I was in the Cav in Germany in the late 80's and had a serious drink issue, but I can't seem to shake this idea that I must have a drink at weekend.

It was that bad back then that I recall sitting on the turret floor doing something or other and found a forgotten stash of exercise beer. Even though it was luke warm and mid morning, I dank them all. It was one of the reasons I wanted out of the Cav, to break the cycle of never-ending alcohol abuse.
You may find it's just an ingrained habit, which is why it's hard to break. It's when the weekend begin to start earlier and finish later until the join up on Wednesdays that the problems have started.

You may find it's just an ingrained habit, which is why it's hard to break. It's when the weekend begin to start earlier and finish later until the join up on Wednesdays that the problems have started.

I think you're right.

I need a weekend distraction. I deliberately don't go to the gym anymore on Friday nights, as when I did, it meant I was still drinking the same volume when I got back, but in a more condensed time period

Slight thread drift. Where I work, a major British supermarket as a Loss Prevention Manager, I see hundreds of customers per day carrying out beers by the case load, wines in multiples and huge quantities of spirits. When I ask them "why so much booze" the usual answer is "gets me through the week". I wonder why this has become the norm for so many families? When we jokingly told customers that booze wasn't classed as essential, therefore we couldn't sell it during lockdown; most people replied "well it's essential to me!". I do not understand this apparent reliance upon alcohol. If we have good weather, barbeques come out and shed loads of booze gets sold. Rugby, Cricket and Wendyball all seem to be booze orientated.
I haven't consumed alcohol since my triple bypass in 2016 and haven't missed it. If I fancy a beer, Becks do a very palatable non alcoholic lager which suits my needs.
And people really are harping on about being unable to afford to eat or heat their homes?

And people really are harping on about being unable to afford to eat or heat their homes?
Slight thread drift.
Between Summer '88 and summer '94 I was paying off a £34,000.00 mortguage on less the £6,000.00pa.
Therefore I knew the cost and value of everything I purchased.
Alcohol was not even considered.
I am making up now.
Back on thread.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Whilst holiday companies are reporting increased bookings .

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Absolutely! I see the standard scrote and scrotess wheeling trollies full of booze while their offspring carry a basket full of white label beans and bread. Sunday dinner is usually fried egg on toast with beans. The parents couldn't care less as long as they've got booze, baccy (insert weed of choice), 52" telly with Sky everything and top of the range trainers and mobiles. I would imagine the hovels they dwell in are full of interesting odours!

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Friday night. Bought a few beers from tesco. Six to be precise, and there's still one left in the fridge.

Faark me..did I have a bad head this morning. Proper pissholes in the snow and pounding head , felt like an imp with a sledgehammer in my skull.

But, it does show that I no longer have the tolerance for it and even less of a tolerance for feeling like shiite in the morning.

Friday night. Bought a few beers from tesco. Six to be precise, and there's still one left in the fridge.

Faark me..did I have a bad head this morning. Proper pissholes in the snow and pounding head , felt like an imp with a sledgehammer in my skull.

Bu,t it does show that I no longer have the tolerance for it and even less of a tolerance for feeling like shiite in the morning.
Snap.
I have the very, very occasional pint or glass of wine when I have a meal with my kids then it's coke for any follow-up drinks. Don't miss booze at all.

I have not given up the booze completely, just don’t touch a drop for months at a time, couple of glasses of champagne to celebrate my son’s engagement the other week is all l have had this year.

Next week is going to be a challenge as I am off to Sardinia on a swimming holiday without Mrs 06, they tend to be quite social and boozy of an evening despite the physical exertions during the day, will I drink or not? Can I manage as the only non drinker on the trip something I have never been before.

Chef

LE
I have not given up the booze completely, just don’t touch a drop for months at a time, couple of glasses of champagne to celebrate my son’s engagement the other week is all l have had this year.

Next week is going to be a challenge as I am off to Sardinia on a swimming holiday without Mrs 06, they tend to be quite social and boozy of an evening despite the physical exertions during the day, will I drink or not? Can I manage as the only non drinker on the trip something I have never been before.
Go for it, you might be pleasantly surprised.