Going dry

Not sure if its the same selection as I had last year but if it's included the Bonfire Stout was really nice!

That stuff was bloody delicious. I sadly smashed the 4 cans in the pack I ordered straight away.

Really good.

Unusually, I had a Bourbon last night to celebrate something whilst sitting down watching the Qanon thing on Channel 4 (the other half wanted to watch it). I do miss a glass of Penderyn, or something like that. Probably only alcohol I bother with any more.

45x45

On ROPS
On ROPs
Domestic violence and alcohol consumption dropped in the Philippines during lockdown as alcohol sales were banned.
If you banned alcohol in the UK I think there would be riots. It’s a massive problem that’s buried deep under the carpet in all organisations. My Father who is in his 70s is under the impression it was the move from off-licences to supermarkets and the jump in strength of lagers and beers.

If you banned alcohol in the UK I think there would be riots. It’s a massive problem that’s buried deep under the carpet in all organisations. My Father who is in his 70s is under the impression it was the move from off-licences to supermarkets and the jump in strength of lagers and beers.
Why is alcohol a massive problem?
Sure some people abuse it but most do not.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Why is alcohol a massive problem?
Sure some people abuse it but most do not.
I really don't know the answer to that, bro. But I bet late night coppers and those in A and E could make a good stab at the answer.

Quite a lot of times the alcohol related death is not put down as alke in order to spare the family. Suicides, accidents, other illnesses caused by Booze .

Too many people don't know when they have had enough to drink.

Not only that NO-ONE is the same when they have been Drinking. Quiet people can turn mouthy, others turn violent, it goes on.
I do bike rallies. These involve camping behind a pub usually and then drinking in it.
We do this as a charitable organisation to keep these pubs in business.
Between 10 to 15 times a year.
I've been doing this since 1994 and do not remember any alcohol related bad incidents.

Mölders 1

War Hero
I do bike rallies. These involve camping behind a pub usually and then drinking in it.
We do this as a charitable organisation to keep these pubs in business.
Between 10 to 15 times a year.
I've been doing this since 1994 and do not remember any alcohol related bad incidents.
Years ago when l was younger......Bridgend Town Centre was a Battleground on Saturday Nights.

There were Alcohol Fuelled fights everywhere from Taxi Ranks to outside the Kebab Houses.

The latest Alcohol Fuelled Bad Behaviour stories are now coming from the Millennium Stadium on Matchdays with reports of Rugby Fans drinking too much, throwing up, spilling their Beer, shouting extremely bad language etc.

The Millennium Stadium is now nicknamed "The Biggest Pub In Wales".

Coming up on forty months off it here, one day at a time. A couple of challenges recently, one being a contract brought to an end early & the other a very dear friend in Fellowship saying they didn’t feel a connection & could I not contact them.

First was lucky escape. I’d considered going permanent in role, but finding boss could behave like that (I suspect they were worried I’d picked up some financial irregularities) useful before I got locked in. I used to fight like a rat in a trap when I was found out rather than embracing honesty.

Instead I’m up for a post for twice the money & a quarter of the drive from home. Second interview Friday.

Second thing about friendship hurt more. On personal examination I can see how someone who’s struggling might find my pink cloudy nature a bit difficult. Need to remind self other party has an illness too, & if best way of helping them is not to chat for a bit so be it.

Third sober Christmas & New Year on way. Really no qualms about that at all!

Exactly. I’d always viewed non drinkers with suspicion, I mean drinking is fun and completely normal isn’t It? The only reason people don’t drink is because they’re Muslim or have a serious problem.

And ditching that attitude was one of the hardest things. More importantly, worrying that other people would think that way about me was one of the hardest things.

It's so weird and messed up that alcohol is the only drug out there (it is a drug i'm afraid) that you have to explain to people why you dont want to take it.

Coming up on forty months off it here, one day at a time. A couple of challenges recently, one being a contract brought to an end early & the other a very dear friend in Fellowship saying they didn’t feel a connection & could I not contact them.

First was lucky escape. I’d considered going permanent in role, but finding boss could behave like that (I suspect they were worried I’d picked up some financial irregularities) useful before I got locked in. I used to fight like a rat in a trap when I was found out rather than embracing honesty.

Instead I’m up for a post for twice the money & a quarter of the drive from home. Second interview Friday.

Second thing about friendship hurt more. On personal examination I can see how someone who’s struggling might find my pink cloudy nature a bit difficult. Need to remind self other party has an illness too, & if best way of helping them is not to chat for a bit so be it.

Third sober Christmas & New Year on way. Really no qualms about that at all!
One day at a time is just about the best advice anyone can have,

All anyone needs to do is not drink today. Tomorrow, well, we'll deal with that when it comes. before long, years have passed without drinking

wheel

LE
Years ago when l was younger......Bridgend Town Centre was a Battleground on Saturday Nights.

There were Alcohol Fuelled fights everywhere from Taxi Ranks to outside the Kebab Houses.

The latest Alcohol Fuelled Bad Behaviour stories are now coming from the Millennium Stadium on Matchdays with reports of Rugby Fans drinking too much, throwing up, spilling their Beer, shouting extremely bad language etc.

Spilling beer now that is a serious crime that ought to be punished.

being sober is a curse .. I went to Plymouth for a weekend away. Only thing they had in the pubs was Heineken 00. It’s vile. Top tip the new Guinness no alcohol is spot on.

I have to say that if I gave up drinking alcohol, I would not feel the need to substitute it with some insipid non-alcoholic lookey-likey.

If I had to give up for reasons of alcohol abuse, I cannot really see the sense in stimulating the pangs of longing with an approximation of the very thing that had me in its grip.

45x45

On ROPS
On ROPs
I have to say that if I gave up drinking alcohol, I would not feel the need to substitute it with some insipid non-alcoholic lookey-likey.

If I had to give up for reasons of alcohol abuse, I cannot really see the sense in stimulating the pangs of longing with an approximation of the very thing that had me in its grip.
There is only so much Coke and squash you can drink. Some non alcoholic drinks are decent. The guy I was with alternated between alcohol and non alcohol. He’s a serious fitness man. We were in rounds with the girls. It’s no longer considered “strange” to go out and not drink, that’s why so many are available . Although not in pubs ? Supermarket has lots of options. I suppose you have a point, also people don’t risk the drunk drive issue like they used to.

I like a pint and have no intention to give up at the moment. However recently we’ve bought a holiday property in Donegal which is a bit out in the sticks. About 15 minutes drive away is a small town with a few good music pubs and I’m more than happy to be the designated driver when we have visitors. I’ll drink zero alc beer and it doesn’t bother me one bit. Funnily I don’t think I’d be as happy if I was sipping a coke or orange juice.

Hi Provost, I've not had a drink for two years. Except for a couple of glasses of wine last Christmas Day, which I enjoyed. I now drink alcohol free beer when out with friends, not to substitute the real thing but because I like the taste and I don't want to drink sugar laden pop or juice for hours on end. Once I was served an alcoholic beer by mistake, took one sip and nearly hurled. don't miss it at all and very happy with the alcohol free alternative.

Chef

LE
@Ravers said
Exactly. I’d always viewed non drinkers with suspicion, I mean drinking is fun and completely normal isn’t It? The only reason people don’t drink is because they’re Muslim or have a serious problem.

And ditching that attitude was one of the hardest things. More importantly, worrying that other people would think that way about me was one of the hardest things.

It's so weird and messed up that alcohol is the only drug out there (it is a drug I'm afraid) that you have to explain to people why you don't want to take it.
I thought much the same about people noticing me not drinking but outside of regular drinking buddies who'd notice if you changed from beer to lager most people don't really pay much attention. Possibly other ex drinkers might notice a bit more.

Two dits.
D.1. Years ago I was steward at my Lodge and one of the diners always had lemonade rather than wine. I was drinking at the time and it didn't pique my curiosity at the time, he's since died so I'll never know.
D.2. I run the quiz at our local and someone who knew me from my drinking days 30+ years ago at my old local (we hadn't seen each other for about 25 years) commented that I wasn't on the Newky Brown, I said it didn't agree with me any more and she was quite satisfied with the answer.

There are so many detox diets and the like kicking around that the days of blaming antibiotics for not drinking are long gone.

45x45

On ROPS
On ROPs
@Ravers said

I thought much the same about people noticing me not drinking but outside of regular drinking buddies who'd notice if you changed from beer to lager most people don't really pay much attention. Possibly other ex drinkers might notice a bit more.

Two dits.
D.1. Years ago I was steward at my Lodge and one of the diners always had lemonade rather than wine. I was drinking at the time and it didn't pique my curiosity at the time, he's since died so I'll never know.
D.2. I run the quiz at our local and someone who knew me from my drinking days 30+ years ago at my old local (we hadn't seen each other for about 25 years) commented that I wasn't on the Newky Brown, I said it didn't agree with me any more and she was quite satisfied with the answer.

There are so many detox diets and the like kicking around that the days of blaming antibiotics for not drinking are long gone.
Stewarding .. always a treat .

45x45

On ROPS
On ROPs

I’m lucky, Merthyr is never a drama. Match days are particularly quiet.

Latest Threads