Going dry

Chef

LE
When it first come out Red Bull And Vodka was a popular drink with the locals on a Saturday Night......l wonder if it had something to do with all the late night Street Fights that went on after Closing Time.
I recall a copper from that there London saying that when Red Bull became popular in the late eighties the fights became more common. He reckoned that after a few double vodka and tonics the punters became sleepy and went home or flaked out where they were before they became belligerent.

Throw in the Red Bull and vodka and they became belligerent and alert enough to kick off.

If you want to feel really rough, cut out caffeine, alcohol and anything with granulated sugar in. A week of feeling hungover but then I’ve found I have a much more consistent energy level and ability to focus throughout the day.

I recall a copper from that there London saying that when Red Bull became popular in the late eighties the fights became more common. He reckoned that after a few double vodka and tonics the punters became sleepy and went home or flaked out where they were before they became belligerent.

Throw in the Red Bull and vodka and they became belligerent and alert enough to kick off.
Exactly, your body is being kept awake albeit frazzled by the caffeine and guarana when you should have collapsed hours back like a good decent pisshead. It probably explains a flight back from Amsterdam (which apparently I made late) being completely wiped from my recordings except for the blurry memory of a Dutch security guy saying "you should not smile, it is not funny"

Same effect as Buckfast "tonic wine".

I only vaguely remember a Hong Kong Sevens when I consumed nothing but Vodka & Red Bull with beer chasers for the duration. Not a well bunny...

I had a few watching London Irish.. What a match! I did wonder if you were in the crowd.
Saw HT score on Internet & thought here we go again…

Had an Irish season ticket for ten or so years until 19/20 season. Haven’t renewed for this year as wanted to see how easy new stadium is to get to, & also rebuilding finances. The subscription scheme looks interesting.

Problem is an awful lot of my friends no longer going. Then again I never thought I could go to a match without drinking my own body weight in Guinness either!

Had an Irish season ticket for ten or so years until 19/20 season. Haven’t renewed for this year as wanted to see how easy new stadium is to get to, & also rebuilding finances. The subscription scheme looks interesting.

Problem is an awful lot of my friends no longer going. Then again I never thought I could go to a match without drinking my own body weight in Guinness either!
Times move on.. And you're in a better place mate.

Mines a large orange squash.

One of the biggest challenges for me as a non-drinker (and the only one in the team) was the monthly trips to catch a Bristol Bears game with the work team. Being half Navy and half Pisshead, the trips were always seriously boozy and few people took kindly to a lemonade being in the round they are buying. Which was silly.

That was a few jobs ago now but I don’t think they will have changed

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks for the caffeine info everyone, I know I drink way too much coffee, I take a mug with me to bed ffs. I'm trying to switch over to tea, as someone mentioned the Twinings Assam is a good cuppa.
Tea contains caffeine too....

One of the biggest challenges for me as a non-drinker (and the only one in the team) was the monthly trips to catch a Bristol Bears game with the work team. Being half Navy and half Pisshead, the trips were always seriously boozy and few people took kindly to a lemonade being in the round they are buying. Which was silly.

That was a few jobs ago now but I don’t think they will have changed
I was very lucky with my mates. As I trusted them completely I told them I am an alkie, & no one has tried to tempt me or spike a drink.

I even had my own special cake once when someone celebrating a birthday. The main one liberally laced with rum after cooking.

To ge honest looking round at Irish was surprised to see how many people not drinking, during match anyway. Probably because Madjeski Guinness not very nice & very expensive!

I’ve ditched the few people who can’t cope with me not drinking. They weren’t good mates anyway!

On a related topic, has anyone tried giving up caffeine? I've gone about a week without any and getting to sleep much more easily but felt permanently tired the whole time. Today has been much better so I'm hoping that my body's adjusting and next week will be back to normal. If not I might crack and open the emergency can of Red Bull.
I did about 15 years ago.
I didn't have any problems but lost about 3 Kilo and an inch from my waste because I drank far less coffee and therefor less sugar.

I was very lucky with my mates. As I trusted them completely I told them I am an alkie, & no one has tried to tempt me or spike a drink.

I even had my own special cake once when someone celebrating a birthday. The main one liberally laced with rum after cooking.

To ge honest looking round at Irish was surprised to see how many people not drinking, during match anyway. Probably because Madjeski Guinness not very nice & very expensive!

I’ve ditched the few people who can’t cope with me not drinking. They weren’t good mates anyway!
Good.
If I were to ever meet you in the flesh I wouldn't even consider necking booze in front of you. For one it would be damn inconsiderate and Two I wouldn't want to put temptation in your way.

You've done bloody well and opened up a few blokes eyes tbh.. Stay on the straight and narrow.

D

Deleted 15653

You can get caffeine-free. I drink it at night.
Before moving to mint tea (and a dairy free diet), Mrs D swapped us to caffeine free teabags. It took me 6 months to notice. I drink caffeine free coffee at home.

We'll have a pot of strong coffee at the start of the shift, which sometimes gets drunk and sometimes doesn't. I might have another brew later and I only drink tea after midnight.

Good.
If I were to ever meet you in the flesh I wouldn't even consider necking booze in front of you. For one it would be damn inconsiderate and Two I wouldn't want to put temptation in your way.

You've done bloody well and opened up a few blokes eyes tbh.. Stay on the straight and narrow.
Very kind of you to say, but I no longer worry about people drinking booze around me. We talk about entering a position of neutrality where alcohol no longer an issue.

Saying that I’d make excuses if my mates on a proper Leo Sayer, or just pop in for a quick soft drink before it got messy…

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Before moving to mint tea (and a dairy free diet), Mrs D swapped us to caffeine free teabags. It took me 6 months to notice. I drink caffeine free coffee at home.

We'll have a pot of strong coffee at the start of the shift, which sometimes gets drunk and sometimes doesn't. I might have another brew later and I only drink tea after midnight.
Yes, I'm coming away from dairy. I like cheese and love ice cream but increasingly they don't like me. I'll miss the cheese more.

The good news is that these days there are options. Once over, I didn't see past tea and coffee.

This might be of interest to some.

I have been ripping the piss out of it alcohol wise during the lockdown. I left the army 3 years ago and despite attempting to keep active put a bit of weight on.

Then in the lockdown it really hit. Put about 3 inches on and my alcohol consumption has soared - all at home and as my dad is 80 I am limiting my interaction with society to bare necessities only so as to help protect him. Which hasn‘t helped…

Saw an ad for a book online and bought a copy and seems to be helping a bit. You can also access the information free online, but you have to register (and thus expect an email from a Nigerian prince in the near future).

It may help some of you who are a bit worried and flitting through this thread - but it is not for the physiologically dependent upon alcohol. It is just meant to re-frame your thinking about drinking and cause introspection as to its place in your life.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This might be of interest to some.

I have been ripping the piss out of it alcohol wise during the lockdown. I left the army 3 years ago and despite attempting to keep active put a bit of weight on.

Then in the lockdown it really hit. Put about 3 inches on and my alcohol consumption has soared - all at home and as my dad is 80 I am limiting my interaction with society to bare necessities only so as to help protect him. Which hasn‘t helped…

Saw an ad for a book online and bought a copy and seems to be helping a bit. You can also access the information free online, but you have to register (and thus expect an email from a Nigerian prince in the near future).

It may help some of you who are a bit worried and flitting through this thread - but it is not for the physiologically dependent upon alcohol. It is just meant to re-frame your thinking about drinking and cause introspection as to its place in your life.

Some years ago, for multiple reasons, I went to see a counsellor. One's libations (multiple thereof) came into the conversation, inevitably, and then came the question of, "So why do you drink?"

The best I could come up with was somewhere between habit and boredom.

..."So, it's a support, then?"

No, it's a... ah. Ok.

It's often a case of wine just breaking the assumptions and habits. Unless you're physiologically dependent, which is a distinction, as you note, it's remarkably easy to grip drinking.