Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going dry

Chef

LE
I had 3 Bombardiers, and a Chimay last night. I've spend every waking moment today with "the fear". I don't think it's long before I give it up.
Red or Blue?

It's often said to newcomers to AA 'Try giving up for six weeks and if you don't like it you can have your old fears back'

As @muzzleflash says do it today, you've got nothing to lose and perhaps a lot to gain.

I had 3 Bombardiers, and a Chimay last night. I've spend every waking moment today with "the fear". I don't think it's long before I give it up.
Ask yourself the questions contained in Step 1:

“We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.”

If you read this & agree to either or both parts then The Fellowship could be for you...

Ask yourself the questions contained in Step 1:

“We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.”

If you read this & agree to either or both parts then The Fellowship could be for you...
I don't, but it doesn't take away from the fact that I felt shit after relatively little to drink. I've cut down a lot and January and October were not a problem, and weekends go by easily enough without a drink at all.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't, but it doesn't take away from the fact that I felt shit after relatively little to drink. I've cut down a lot and January and October were not a problem, and weekends go by easily enough without a drink at all.

You’re putting actual poison in your body and it does horrible things to you.

It’s as simple as that. Doesn’t matter if it’s 40 year old Scotch or Buckfast, the shit that’s in it is not good for you and makes you ill.

That’s why you feel like shit.

Unfortunately that poison happens to be highly addictive and has become so socially acceptable and mainstream that you’re made to feel like a weirdo for not putting it inside you.

Imagine if we had adverts for heroin on telly

Took me a very long time to work that out and get it into my head. The hangover was always because I didn’t drink enough water before bed or because that last pint came out of a dodgy barrel.

Next time you reach for a beer don’t think of the nice warm drunk feeling you’re gonna get, think of the fear, liver failure and the raging hangover it will cause.

Eventually you can train yourself to be physically disgusted by alcohol. Which is exactly how you should feel about it.

Chef

LE

It’s as simple as that. Doesn’t matter if it’s 40 year old Scotch or Buckfast, the shit that’s in it is not good for you and makes you ill.

Unfortunately that poison happens to be highly addictive and has become so socially acceptable and mainstream that you’re made to feel like a weirdo for not putting it inside you.

Took me a very long time to work that out and get it into my head. The hangover was always because I didn’t drink enough water before bed or because that last pint came out of a dodgy barrel.

Next time you reach for a beer don’t think of the nice warm drunk feeling you’re gonna get, think of the fear, liver failure and the raging hangover it will cause.

Eventually you can train yourself to be physically disgusted by alcohol. Which is exactly how you should feel about it.

@Ravers you have it right about alcohol, Glenmorangie or bathtub gin, it's the alcohol in the liquid that the body of an alcoholic craves. If the cost or quality of the alcoholic liquid made a difference there'd be no rich alcoholics and nobody would buy White Ace cider.

Whilst alcohol is not for me what I have learned is not to hate alcohol because love and hate both mean you've always got the object of your love or hatred somewhere in the back of your mind. The opposite of love is indifference.

Which is what I feel about alcohol these days.

Exactly. Whenever I might feel like a little trip down Drinky Memory Lane, it's not long before the happy memories also have a vivid image of me puking into a basin the next morning because I was still so mindless pissed from the night before, of my skin feeling greasy sweaty and jaundiced looking in the mirror. I remember, though I wince, of my bedsheets being soaked in sweat, being surprised that I couldn't sign a cheque because my ******* hands were shaking, of people being worried for me because it was becoming obvious how bad I was getting, and the fear for my very soul that I was wiping myself out.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Exactly. Whenever I might feel like a little trip down Drinky Memory Lane, it's not long before the happy memories also have a vivid image of me puking into a basin the next morning because I was still so mindless pissed from the night before, of my skin feeling greasy sweaty and jaundiced looking in the mirror. I remember, though I wince, of my bedsheets being soaked in sweat, being surprised that I couldn't sign a cheque because my ******* hands were shaking, of people being worried for me because it was becoming obvious how bad I was getting, and the fear for my very soul that I was wiping myself out.
Yep.

For every nice memory of sitting round a camp fire with the lads getting slowly smashed or drinking fine wine and chatting shit to people, there are ten memories of waking up to find spew blocking the sink, the car I destroyed, the lost relationships with alcoholic members of my family, the 3 day hangovers where I’d gladly shoot myself in the head if I just had the energy to crawl down to the gun cabinet.

Drinking is not for winners.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
I feel very fortunate in that a switch has flipped somewhere and has been for a while. I am no longer interested in drinking be it alcoholic or non alcoholic.

Never had any of the demons that some here have had of which I am grateful and am very happy for all of you who are finding their way to the other side. To those who are struggling help is out there in many different ways, you just have to reach out.... If you want to.

It feels strange in a way not going to the fridge for a bottle of beer after work, during the evening relaxing or at the weekend but on the other hand I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

It feels strange in a way not going to the fridge for a bottle of beer after work, during the evening relaxing or at the weekend but on the other hand I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
It’s entirely normal for me after a while sober not to drink. Can’t believe what used to be normal was a fridge in the utility room just for beer, wine, & a freezer compartment for vodka & ice cubes!

What caught my eye was your second bit. I was terrified about how I could live life without the drink, even towards the end when it was truly ruining my life. What astonished me is how many people, even at the Rugby, don’t drink & how people say I’m even better company now I don’t keep repeating myself, making jokes that were only funny in my own head, then falling asleep or having to bang out part way through events...

That's why I enjoy trying all the alcohol free beers (note to self: must update wiki page) because you can go to the fridge and grab one after work.

I agree with you completely but as I said I just don't fancy either. There are some fantastic alcohol free beers out there though.
I don't mind a bleifrei beer but I'm still waiting for a really interesting Coke Zero number. Part of me is annoyed at paying for something that isn't fermented too.

Enjoyed my birthday and split half a bottle of red (Montepulciano d'abruzzo, which I chose and really enjoyed) with Mrs H_M. Back on the waggon now - she can drink the other half bottle at her leisure - and I will probably have another drink on my old man's birthday in May...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had a glass of Natureo de-alcoholised white wine with dinner last night.

I never used to drink full fat white wine, but I had a bottle of this and thought I’d give it a go. All the AF red wines I’ve tried so far have been utterly rank.

Actually not bad at all. With a nice piece of fish, on a sunny spring evening it really hit the spot.

Had a glass of Natureo de-alcoholised white wine with dinner last night.

I never used to drink full fat white wine, but I had a bottle of this and thought I’d give it a go. All the AF red wines I’ve tried so far have been utterly rank.

Actually not bad at all. With a nice piece of fish, on a sunny spring evening it really hit the spot.
Any idea what they use to make it taste dry?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Any idea what they use to make it taste dry?

Not a clue.

I think this is actual wine that’s been through a process to remove the alcohol as opposed to something that’s been made from scratch with no alcohol in it.

To be fair it’s been nearly 3 years since I’ve actually had a real glass of wine so I’ve probably forgotten what it tastes like.