Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going dry

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Has anyone tried the 0% alcohol Gordon's Gin yet?

I’ve tried their Low Alcohol pre mixed G&Ts which are pretty good and not far off a real G&T.

It’s on the list to try but we currently have a bit of a backlog of low alcohol spirit type drinks to get through. People keep sending us free stuff.

The nice thing about these is you can feel quite content having a single drink and not feel the need for another immediately. This means the bottles last a lot longer. People balk at the price of things like Seedlip at 24ish quid a bottle. To be fair that is pretty pricey, but a bottle would last me and the missus 6 months, where as a bottle of gin would‘ve lasted us a weekend.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bottom of the middle third for me... I've got another one in the fridge, I'll have another go.

Have you tried the lagers? I think one was called St Etienne and the other might have been Rheinbacher or whatever Aldi’s default kraut brew is.

Have you tried the lagers? I think one was called St Etienne and the other might have been Rheinbacher or whatever Aldi’s default kraut brew is.
Not yet. I may have missed them when out last time. I'll have a try and post back.

Was so impressed with the Big Drop Brewery I took out a monthly subscription.

Lidl's own brand alcohol free lager is pretty good, I've got through a fair bit with Dry January. If it's cold enough it tastes like real lager.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not yet. I may have missed them when out last time. I'll have a try and post back.

Was so impressed with the Big Drop Brewery I took out a monthly subscription.
Yep, they’re very good. The Galactic Milk Stout is absolutely fantastic.

You can get them in Morrisons.

Talking of stout, did anyone see the crack with Guinness 0.0 just before Christmas?

They‘d just released it and it all ended up being recalled due to some unknown contamination.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lidl's own brand alcohol free lager is pretty good, I've got through a fair bit with Dry January. If it's cold enough it tastes like real lager.

Unfortunately my nearest Lidl is 40 odd miles away. I’ve always preferred it to Aldi. The fresh bakery for a start.

Talking of stout, did anyone see the crack with Guinness 0.0 just before Christmas?

They‘d just released it and it all ended up being recalled due to some unknown contamination.

Interesting, if they sell it I'd be interested in trying a pint. The more important question is does it turn your poo black like the real thing?

My go to 0% abv is blackcurrant juice. Pretend alcohol is a bit like vegetarian sausages/burgers it does not make sense to me.
A former colleague of mine described drinking non-alcoholic beer as, ‘it’s a bit like going down on your own sister. Tastes the same, but some how it feels a bit wrong.’ Well, he was in the Royal Signals.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My go to 0% abv is blackcurrant juice. Pretend alcohol is a bit like vegetarian sausages/burgers it does not make sense to me.

I like to think of it more like gluten free cake.

People who can’t eat gluten still like cake, so they have the gluten free version.

Same with alcohol free beer. I like beer, I just don’t like one ingredient in it, so I have the version that doesn’t contain that ingredient.

People who can’t eat gluten still like cake, so they have the gluten free version.

Same with alcohol free beer. I like beer, I just don’t like one ingredient in it, so I have the version that doesn’t contain that ingredient.
For those of us that drink beer because it tastes good rather than to get shitfaced* the alcohol free version allows the 'enjoying drinking a beer' moment without getting plastered. It's no weirder than decaffeinated coffee.

*getting shitfaced is also an enjoyable option but not mandatory

wheel

LE

I think I have the option of liking beer but stopping before it does not like me. As in the nicorette advert, Requires Will Power.

muscat_diver

War Hero
a.jpg
b.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't get a taste for that, reminds me too much of the offspring being small.

I do like some of the flavoured tonic waters that Fentimans, London Scene and others are selling now. Bit of ice, float frozen peaches or raspberries in them, and hey presto! Alcohol free cocktails!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Number 2 of the Aldi AF beers.

This one is really nice. I can barely tell that this is alcohol free. It’s very reminiscent of the sort of overpriced lagers you get in French ski resorts.

Except this isn’t overpriced and I won’t wake up tomorrow with a headache that’d kill a member of the RAF.

The trick with all of these is to serve them ice cold.

8D7D045F-DFC3-49D1-940C-59AB7F917710.jpeg

Latest Threads