Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going dry

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Have tried the Brewdog Hazy AF, very nice agree. You still on the wagon now you are mixing it with matelots again? How's that work out on runs ashore?
The Low Tied and milk stout are very nice. Apart from Punk AF and Nanny State never been able to get hold of Hazy AF as Hazy Jane was nectar.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You still on the wagon now you are mixing it with matelots again? How's that work out on runs ashore?

Yeah fine. A lot of the heavy drinking culture that existed in the RN seems to be gone these days.

I posted before that I spent a few weeks in Japan in 2018.

We had a lot of spare time and were out in Tokyo most nights.

I just drank alcohol free beer which is thankfully very popular in Japan and available everywhere.

Still had a great time and it was good to have at least one member of the group who wasn’t shitfaced and knew the local area.

Matelots these days are more interested in hitting the gym than getting smashed and fighting.

With the ”Festive Season” upon us time to make preparations to ensure the wagon stays on the straight and narrow or certainly does not stray to far from the righteous path of sobriety.

Whilst I am not going fully dry I will have a fairly abstemious Christmas, ensuring I do not end up comatose in front of the dire BBC offerings each day. I will continue to take exercise and ensure there are sufficient non alcoholic refreshments available throughout.

Any one else ant thoughts, tips in order to get through the season without abject drunkenness?

@CaptainPlume, @Ravers, our esteemed leaders how are you doing on this front?

Xmas.. I have a bottle of Rum, plenty of Pepsi to go with it. I'll probably buy myself a box of cider from the cider farm in Hereford, that will last me throughout Xmas and the New year.
I'm not teetotal, not by a long shot, but I've cut my intake back by about 75%.

Still a fat little fecker though.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With the ”Festive Season” upon us time to make preparations to ensure the wagon stays on the straight and narrow or certainly does not stray to far from the righteous path of sobriety.

Whilst I am not going fully dry I will have a fairly abstemious Christmas, ensuring I do not end up comatose in front of the dire BBC offerings each day. I will continue to take exercise and ensure there are sufficient non alcoholic refreshments available throughout.

Any one else ant thoughts, tips in order to get through the season without abject drunkenness?

@CaptainPlume, @Ravers, our esteemed leaders how are you doing on this front?

This will be my third Christmas off the sauce.

Booze doesn’t even register anymore. I have no cravings for it, I don’t feel like I’m missing out by not having it.

It boils down to two choices.

1. Drink alcohol, feel like shit for two weeks, spend 200ish quid, have no motivation to do anything.

2. Don’t drink alcohol, feel great, save money, get up early, do awesome shit with my kids.

Complete no brainer for me.

The question of “how do you get through Christmas without booze?” Is the same as “how do you get through Christmas without heroin?”

Both give a temporary sense of fun and pleasure, but long term I’m much better off without them.

It’s taken a while to get into this frame of mind, but I’m long past the “struggle” stage of giving up now. This is just my life now, I don’t drink and everything is better as a result.

I am quite happy now with low alcohol Old Speckled Hen and Doom Bar zero; and look forward to that this Yule.

I did have a glass of whiskey about a month ago; but, I was able to just enjoy the taste and stop.

It isn't that I feel morally superior about not drinking, but I think @Ravers puts it so wisely; it just isn't me.

I've probably saved some weight ('cos obviously I am shredded) and money (which I probably just poured into the pockets of Raspberry Pi or RS Components or something.

As long as people are at peace on the path and it doesn't harm anyone else; enjoy your holiday with or without alcohol, may you all walk in peace.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Making the switch to low or no alcohol has been a God send. Waking up feeling shit has been no fun for many years as I hate being hung over. Since going back to work after being on furlough it's been 99% low or alcohol free and feel so much better for it.

My intake over Christmas itself will be governed by work. I’m off on the 23rd which for personal reasons is the day I chose to commemorate those no longer with us, so a glass will be raised to Absent Friends.

Christmas Eve and Day I’m on earlies, so dry the night before (23rd toast notwithstanding). Starting at three pm on Boxing Day so I will have a glass of wine with lunch. After that into lates. I’m off for New Year’s Eve but haven’t celebrated that in years. Don’t even stay up until midnight unless there’sa decent movie on

Last edited:

wheel

LE
This will be my third Christmas off the sauce.

Booze doesn’t even register anymore. I have no cravings for it, I don’t feel like I’m missing out by not having it.

It boils down to two choices.

1. Drink alcohol, feel like shit for two weeks, spend 200ish quid, have no motivation to do anything.

2. Don’t drink alcohol, feel great, save money, get up early, do awesome shit with my kids.

Complete no brainer for me.

The question of “how do you get through Christmas without booze?” Is the same as “how do you get through Christmas without heroin?”

Both give a temporary sense of fun and pleasure, but long term I’m much better off without them.

It’s taken a while to get into this frame of mind, but I’m long past the “struggle” stage of giving up now. This is just my life now, I don’t drink and everything is better as a result.
Simple answer Quote from my Old Man
Contentment Before Capacity.

5 years off the drink this year, I tend to drink Adams Ghost Ship 0% and Koppaberg 0% stuff which in reality is posh fizzy fruit juice.

I had a beer on Halloween and haven't drunk any alcohol since. I am going to split a nice bottle of sauvignon blanc with Mrs H_M in Christmas Day - we're having salmon this year for a change. Then I have a couple of small bottles of Birra Moretti lined up (courtesy of one of my Italian mates) to see in the New Year. I'll then go dry again until my birthday at the beginning of March. I cannot remember the last time that I had a skinful.

My intake over Christmas itself will be governed by work. I’m off on the 23rd which for personal reasons is the day I chose to commemorate those no longer with us, so a glass will be raised to Absent Friends.

Christmas Eve and Day I’m on earlies, so dry the night before (23rd toast notwithstanding). Starting at three pm on Boxing Day so I will have a glass of wine with lunch. After that into lates. I’m off for New Year’s Eve but haven’t celebrated that in years. Don’t even stay up until midnight unless there’sa decent movie on

Stay safe mate.

I do not miss one bit having to be in and on over Christmas.

One of my strongest memories is reading a detailed and frankly horrific child sex abuse statement on Christmas Eve as this played in the background of the CID office on the radio before we had to saddle up. I hate the song, it now brings on a thousand-yard stare for me.

That was more cheerful than a suicide I was first on scene to another year, I could still see the bubbles coming up to the surface where he'd jumped in. I spent Christmas eve in the mortuary doing the dead hand fingermarks.

And then the fuckwittery of New Year's Eve. I can vividly remember the 2006 New Year eve as central London borough CID officer. I had a busier shift than 7/7. From assaults to rapes, and several hundred fighting in a hotel which was cleared by Commissioners reserve. Me and my oppo were in raid caps and vests helping at the urgent assistance punching anything not in a emergency services uniform.

Stay Safe.

Stay safe matey.

Stay safe mate.

I do not miss one bit having to be in and on over Christmas.

One of my strongest memories is reading a detailed and frankly horrific child sex abuse statement on Christmas Eve as this played in the background of the CID office on the radio before we had to saddle up. I hate the song, it now brings on a thousand-yard stare for me.

That was more cheerful than a suicide I was first on scene to another year, I could still see the bubbles coming up to the surface where he'd jumped in. I spent Christmas eve in the mortuary doing the dead hand fingermarks.

And then the fuckwittery of New Year's Eve. I can vividly remember the 2006 New Year eve as central London borough CID officer. I had a busier shift than 7/7. From assaults to rapes, and several hundred fighting in a hotel which was cleared by Commissioners reserve. Me and my oppo were in raid caps and vests helping at the urgent assistance punching anything not in a emergency services uniform.

Stay Safe.

Can definitely see how this day in, day out can lead to overdoing the booze.

I'm not sure if it's getting worse as I get older but any booze at all on a week night totally nerfs my motivation the next day. Alcohol free beer has been a massive benefit, feels like a treat when I eventually finish working without fücking my concentration the next day.

5 years off the drink this year, I tend to drink Adams Ghost Ship 0% and Koppaberg 0% stuff which in reality is posh fizzy fruit juice.

I have two Ghost Ship on stand-by today, as I put my feet up and chill-out with "The Desolation of Smaug"

I bounce between Old Speckled Hen (which in truth is the only real alcoholic drink I would miss, I took suitcases of it abroad with me when working in a sandpit) Ghost Ship and Doom Bar Zero.

The low alcohol beer stuff in Aldi isn't bad for Taflewein either.

Feeling a bit posh today as well, as I picked up some of these to try.

I do miss a good G&T with cracked ice and hunks of lime. Dunno how good they are, if anyone has tried them?

Can definitely see how this day in, day out can lead to overdoing the booze.

I'm not sure if it's getting worse as I get older but any booze at all on a week night totally nerfs my motivation the next day. Alcohol free beer has been a massive benefit, feels like a treat when I eventually finish working without fücking my concentration the next day.

I have to say, leaving the police has done wonders to lower both alcohol intake and my aggression issues*.

I kept the fighting after I left the old bill, but on the mat governed by rules, which did help. I now steer very well clear of any sort of trouble, as I have no wish to ever have another real fight in my life.

Probably why I like BJJ or Judo; it's like physical chess.

*And not having utter morons for supervisors, I ******* hated senior police who I found totally incompetent and morally bankrupt pricks. They liked me too.

I have two Ghost Ship on stand-by today, as I put my feet up and chill-out with "The Desolation of Smaug"

I bounce between Old Speckled Hen (which in truth is the only real alcoholic drink I would miss, I took suitcases of it abroad with me when working in a sandpit) Ghost Ship and Doom Bar Zero.

The low alcohol beer stuff in Aldi isn't bad for Taflewein either.

Feeling a bit posh today as well, as I picked up some of these to try.

I do miss a good G&T with cracked ice and hunks of lime. Dunno how good they are, if anyone has tried them?
I tried M&S alcohol free G&T which was rather nice. I haven't had real g&t for years which is probably just as well. ETA I like cooking with juniper berries, fresh or dried. No alcohol required for that.

I’m now down to the odd beer every few weeks. Each one tastes amazing and how it should, not just a habit.

Latest Threads