Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going dry

Chimp

ADC
Try Brewdog AF IPA; quite outstanding. Tastes like the real thing and am on my second pint with a few more to go today! Delivery from their website in 5 days(ish) - I normally buy 48 x 330ml cans at a time.

Try Brewdog AF IPA; quite outstanding. Tastes like the real thing and am on my second pint with a few more to go today! Delivery from their website in 5 days(ish) - I normally buy 48 x 330ml cans at a time.
I initially was wary of the cost but it's a lot cheaper than buying a couple of 330ml bottles of it in a pub and still cheaper than a couple of pints.

Twenty-two months ago I had my last drink. Thank Christ it’s not that day today. Meetings continue online, I’ve done two or three Chairs, & am now “attending” back in the town where I got sober.

Decided to curtail my cycling a bit during the current restrictions. Didn’t have to it just felt the right thing to do. Sadly the knock-on effect has been a loss of physical fitness, but mental side not so bad. Mainly been grateful for my garden, & some of the work I’ve been doing has improved environment around me & I’m more able to sit in peace & just be.

Coincidentally it’s also MasterPlume’s 14th birthday. I have one way left of contacting him, MrsPlume blocked all others, so will be interested to know if he got my birthday wishes.

Of course alcoholic head catastrophising that she will intercept that message & next thing that will happen is the Old Bill appearing on the doorstep to arrest me for harassing a minor...

Chef

LE
@CaptainPlume Good effort. I recognise the catastrophising head and for me recognising it stops it taking over. That's when it becomes dangerous. my newcomer went tits up over the weekend I suspect for that reason the way they were talking about work. Hopefully back on track now.

A litre of vodka in no time and a second one to keep it company. What's scary is the speed with which they reverted to their old, alcoholic, self:

Paranoia, suicidal thoughts and the Samaritans back on speed dial. Followed by shame, remorse and the usual sorries and 'I'll never do it again'.

How Mrs Chef put up with me I don't know.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
More and more alcohol free and 0.5% (which is virtually alcohol free) beers cropping up all the time.

Some of my recent faves. These were all off the shelf in Morrisons.

All are good enough to be indistinguishable from a 4 - 5% full fat beer.
0B0C2B8F-9519-40D7-9C41-FEE3CEB092CC.jpeg

Dr Death

War Hero
I had a big hangover on Sunday.
Seems Real Ale, Vodka & Gin do mix well after all.

Ironically MrsPlume didn’t see the really bad stuff at the end. Been on a strong “keep it simple” campaign over past couple of days, what I do when things get a bit tough.

Luckily I have a good Sponsor who gets it when I’m ticking along happily (largely as I send him inventory every day) & when to jump in. We had a good chat last night & he reminded me that what I’m experiencing is life, just like everyone else in world has to experience it good or bad.

Thankfully I’m now at a stage when I think it’s worth living. I wasn’t this time two years ago...

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had a big hangover on Sunday.
Seems Real Ale, Vodka & Gin do mix well after all.

If I hadn’t been off the booze, I think I would’ve died during this lockdown.

The old me would’ve seen this as an excuse to get pissed every night and stay in bed until midday everyday.

Chef

LE

The old me would’ve seen this as an excuse to get pissed every night and stay in bed until midday everyday.

The game plan for many even before the gleaming excuse of lockdown.

Dr Death

War Hero

A few beers on only on a Saturday night these days.
When at Uni in my 20's it was 24/7 coupled with shagging.

A few beers on only on a Saturday night these days.
When at Uni in my 20's it was 24/7 coupled with shagging.

I remember on one occasion resenting being dragged away from the bar mid-afternoon during an all sayer to go & give the then girlfriend a seeing too. It was a case of, “hold my pint...” ;)

Ooh! I think Brewdog Hazy AF has just knocked Ghostship off its perch.

My Morrisons isn't posh as Ravers' (obvs) as it doesn't have the Big Drop beers in.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Twenty-two months ago I had my last drink. Thank Christ it’s not that day today. Meetings continue online, I’ve done two or three Chairs, & am now “attending” back in the town where I got sober.

Decided to curtail my cycling a bit during the current restrictions. Didn’t have to it just felt the right thing to do. Sadly the knock-on effect has been a loss of physical fitness, but mental side not so bad. Mainly been grateful for my garden, & some of the work I’ve been doing has improved environment around me & I’m more able to sit in peace & just be.

Coincidentally it’s also MasterPlume’s 14th birthday. I have one way left of contacting him, MrsPlume blocked all others, so will be interested to know if he got my birthday wishes.

Of course alcoholic head catastrophising that she will intercept that message & next thing that will happen is the Old Bill appearing on the doorstep to arrest me for harassing a minor...
Best of luck mate.

I'd rate Thornbridge zero five as good but not great. For me it's in tier 2 - I'd drink it but not serve it. It's just a bit thin when compared to the Hazy AF.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Ooh! I think Brewdog Hazy AF has just knocked Ghostship off its perch.

My Morrisons isn't posh as Ravers' (obvs) as it doesn't have the Big Drop beers in.

That is a mighty claim that must be tested later.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Now that me and the missus are officially social media influencers, people send us free stuff to plug on our Instagram page.

Got a few of these recently.

Very tasty alcohol free alternative to gin.

85912E63-62D3-4896-A74B-06DB3F9CB223.jpeg

Latest Threads