Going dry

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Well buy a house/flat in Heathfield, East Sussex an old Methodist village hence no pubs!
Plenty of places to buy booze in Co Op/Sainsburys/Waitrose or Tesco Express.

Well buy a house/flat in Heathfield, East Sussex an old Methodist village hence no pubs!
Plenty of places to buy booze in Co Op/Sainsburys/Waitrose or Tesco Express.
At Morrisons today, this wine is £7.50 a bottle, but for 2 it is £10 (only 2 minds)

IMG_6269.jpeg

It turns out there are a number of advantages to this coronavirus lock down thing. One is that I can't **** off to the pub. Since I also don't want beer lying about* I've had a working week off.

I'm liking it. Apart from a couple of nights I'm sleeping better and waking up by myself rather than dragging myself out of bed when the alarm clock goes. The number of farts dropped dramatically but through a cunning bean and lentil-based diet that was improving. Generally pretty positive about keeping the booze to a minimum at weekends and then not drinking during the week.

* I would get bored and have a couple before lunch. Plus a couple after. Sooner or later I would have a discussion about why I emailed a student asking "Why are you so ******* useless?" and it will all go downhill from that point.

I have gone dry for Lent.

So far, 3 weeks in the difference is...

Absolutely nothing that I can tell.

Not sleeping better, don't have more energy, probably saved some money.

Presumably the doc will be able to see a difference on my blood test and my kidney function but nothing that I can measure.

I had hoped that after 3 weeks I would notice some difference. I was obviously not drinking enough. I don't get hangovers BTW so haven't missed them and my tipple of choice is malt whisky (undiluted).

I have 9 bottles of whisky including some very nice ones.

Allt a Bhainne
Steel Bonnets (Lakeland distillery)
Penderyn
Penderyn Legend
Chita (Japanese)
Glen Keith (x2) single malt
Talisker Skye
Auchentoshan

Resistance is futile.

exsniffer

Old-Salt
Thanks Ned, assume same principle, mix dry, add liquids, let it rise etc. Problem I have in Dubai is finding the yeast. I shall look again at the supermarkets and failing that ask at the bakery counter what they use, many thanks.
In Saudi you tended to find the yeast between the grape juice and the sugar

I had been dry for 3 months solid, I will not forget the progress and the feeling. Still buy NA beer and enjoy it.
However have been buying the odd few "big boys beers" Mrs RM was not happy, I just said if you reckon I am leaving this plane on a fcuking Latte...it is not happening, end of chat. It's just a case of being sensible.
I don't want to throw away all the effort.

I don't drink at home and all the beer here is normally timex stuff from the brewery I use for making bread. Picked up a few bottles of Belgian ale during the panic buying madness just before lock down here, for a friend who was due to return from holiday as things shut down.

She's being a fucking pain in the arse cow so haven't bothered dropping them off. Been parked here two weeks and just getting in my way now, with no urge at all to drink them.

Not sure I really want to use expensive Belgian Trappist ale to make bread though...

Well, only another 4.5 days of dryness before i can open a bottle of whisky at the end of Lent. TBH it will probably be a bottle of wine with SWMBO over a meal first.
  • Has it been a problem stopping? No.
  • Have I felt the urge to have one now & again? Yes, but I've resisted.
  • Do I feel any better physically? No.
  • Is my liver any better? Probably but I can't tell without a blood test. [It wasn't that bad to start]
  • Do I feel any better mentally? No
  • Am I sleeping better? No.
  • Will I be cutting down after Easter Sunday [compared to pre-Lent levels]? Yes
Overall I'm sure that it's better for me but can't say that it's either been unduly difficult laying off or that I've noticed any physical or mental improvement.

Conclusion - I've been drinking more than I should (in medical terms) but I don't have a drink problem. I'll slow it down for long term health reasons other than anything else.

Update from here. Online meetings really taking off. If anything the restrictions mean I’ve been doing more AA stuff-my charity shop closed & don’t spend weekend with elderly parents lest I bring virus into their place-so I’m spending more time on the phone to other AAs.

Met a newcomer night before all gatherings banned. Helping them keep afloat. Several members not exactly technical so have been talking them through using Zoom & wrote a bluffers’ guide with screenshots.

Otherwise just a lot more time for meditation, although cycling a bit curtailed so I stick to spirit as well as letter of law. Signed up for the NHS Responder thing & a local church’s efforts to help housebound, although no calls yet, & applies for job in local Tesco.

It could be far worse. I could be drinking!

Update from here. Online meetings really taking off. If anything the restrictions mean I’ve been doing more AA stuff-my charity shop closed & don’t spend weekend with elderly parents lest I bring virus into their place-so I’m spending more time on the phone to other AAs.

Met a newcomer night before all gatherings banned. Helping them keep afloat. Several members not exactly technical so have been talking them through using Zoom & wrote a bluffers’ guide with screenshots.

Otherwise just a lot more time for meditation, although cycling a bit curtailed so I stick to spirit as well as letter of law. Signed up for the NHS Responder thing & a local church’s efforts to help housebound, although no calls yet, & applies for job in local Tesco.

It could be far worse. I could be drinking!
I'm the opposite tbh.
I've been kicking the arse out of it.
Stress...... Feck me!
I can't go fishing wish is driving me fecking mad.

I'm the opposite tbh.
I've been kicking the arse out of it.
Stress...... Feck me!
I can't go fishing wish is driving me fecking mad.
I think this is why a lot of AAs who live the steps are coping surprisingly well. Acceptance of things we can’t control part of our lives, as is the ability to be at peace in our own company.

As I said if I was still on the piss & not working at the moment I would be in a nightmare world of getting alcohol, consuming alcohol, passing out, coming to, rinse & repeat. I’ve been there, & not in as challenging times as now...

Stay safe, & if anyone worried about their drinking the Fellowship is out there. In the UK 0800 9177 650.

This just popped up:

BE0388C1-EF5C-4B64-B8E6-7FD3ACD88B1E.jpeg

I've just thought of something.

I'm 48 this year, I've been on the piss since I was 15.

How much money have I wasted by pissing it up the wall?

Latest Threads