Going dry

I've had to review my lifestyle recently. Working as a keeper I lost 4 stone in the first year. Ok no worries but the weight loss has continued and although I am working full time as well as keeping I've been struggling with neck and arm pain.
I was diagnosed with a trapped nerve but physio and drugs aren't working.
I have tried combinations of booze no drugs, drugs no booze and finally both together.
No improvement at all. A medical at work raised issues with blood glucose although I'm not diagnosed diabetic.
Another trip to the nurse this week to go over tests.
It means I can't fire a shotgun. The recoil is literally shocking to me.
I dont know what's coming but I'm absolutely knackered through loss of sleep due to the pains. Offered a drink last night by my son and I had to turn it down.

The only way I can sleep is to drink 3/4 of a bottle of spirits and that's not an option every night or even once a month.
Sounds like you need some surgery

I've had to review my lifestyle recently. Working as a keeper I lost 4 stone in the first year. Ok no worries but the weight loss has continued and although I am working full time as well as keeping I've been struggling with neck and arm pain.
I was diagnosed with a trapped nerve but physio and drugs aren't working.
I have tried combinations of booze no drugs, drugs no booze and finally both together.
No improvement at all. A medical at work raised issues with blood glucose although I'm not diagnosed diabetic.
Another trip to the nurse this week to go over tests.
It means I can't fire a shotgun. The recoil is literally shocking to me.
I dont know what's coming but I'm absolutely knackered through loss of sleep due to the pains. Offered a drink last night by my son and I had to turn it down.

The only way I can sleep is to drink 3/4 of a bottle of spirits and that's not an option every night or even once a month.
As said below, you need rest. You need to stop what you are doing. Sounds like you are doing to much already. It may be the hardest lesson, but, you have to look after yourself.

Just done March to August number crunching budget/outgoings

How much money have I spent on alcohol in 6 months.........

498 quid all in, every purchase costed in......i’ve Been working half that time so 3 months in reality. 166 quid a month and that involve 3 stiff airport/travel sessions which are fairly expensive.

It boils down to deciding i was going to go out once a week and that’s it. Few expensive margaritas in groovy bar followed by ciders and and tequilas and a zig zag home

I now enjoy my night out, don’t loose 2 days in a mortal hangover. No beer fear or how the **** did I get home. Weight’s down over a stone and heading for my fighting weight.

Not going dry, but enjoying booze at the right time and place.

Phys capacity right up and keeping the base level of functional stamina up when i’m Away at work despite only exercising to maintain and having limited food choices

Not trying to counter the on the wagon philosophy. But just another way
There was a very straight forward trigger for the change.

I got hospitalised early in the year with something tropical. Ten days of utter ******* misery in a foreign hospital where I thought I was going into multi organ failure.

I never want to feel that ill again and that sentiment somehow translated into “why would I ever make my self feel ill voluntarily” ie hangover I dodged booze for quite a while but as per post above something has subtly changed

Diagnosis was “unknown virus” typical....turbo man flu

Last edited:

ugly

LE
As said below, you need rest. You need to stop what you are doing. Sounds like you are doing to much already. It may be the hardest lesson, but, you have to look after yourself.
I have only just started a new day job. The keepering is covered weekdays so at the moment I am just tired with a day job. However the keepering cant be done by committee

A year sober last weekend. A year of cycling yesterday. Here’s what I’ve done:

DE0A25FC-567E-46E1-8B17-4F7ECB438E3E.jpeg

Slightly disappointed not to make 4,500 miles in the year, but the last 500 from last month were going to be a big call with nine days out for sailing. Add to that some dangerous weather for cycling & a higher-than-normal AA commitment & this will do.

Some people may find this reward for sobriety a bit odd. It’s been painful at times. However the point to me is that before I stopped drinking I would never have conceived of even trying this let alone been fit enough to succeed :)

A year sober last weekend. A year of cycling yesterday. Here’s what I’ve done:

View attachment 412819

Slightly disappointed not to make 4,500 miles in the year, but the last 500 from last month were going to be a big call with nine days out for sailing. Add to that some dangerous weather for cycling & a higher-than-normal AA commitment & this will do.

Some people may find this reward for sobriety a bit odd. It’s been painful at times. However the point to me is that before I stopped drinking I would never have conceived of even trying this let alone been fit enough to succeed :)
That is a fair posting for the mileage. Pretty good mileage all round. And if if helps to get to do what you need to do, you’ve done it.
Capt P, you tell us you haven’t done it, but in most cases you have done it.
You have set yourself a target and done it: you’ve done it.
Stop kicking yourself and bloody get on with it!

I seek progress not perfection!

Cycling is mostly just pretending to exercise. On a cheat machine.

You need to ditch the lycra for some running daps.

Then you're on the road to perfection.
I wish I could.
I won't cycle around here as it's way too dangerous.
My right knee is knackered and won't be able to take the pounding from Running.

Cycling is mostly just pretending to exercise. On a cheat machine.

You need to ditch the lycra for some running daps.

Then you're on the road to perfection.
At least on the bike I can rest my fat gut on the top tube. If I went running I’d upset everyone with my bouncing moobs.

Suppose I could get a sports bra, but I prefer something more lacy & sexy. At least the cycling baselayer has a sort of Spanx effect ;)

In seriousness I’ve never enjoyed running at all. Been out voluntarily (as opposed to because I had to for PT in the Army or for Rugby training) about seven times. Always told myself my knees hurt too much from a parachuting accident when I was about 19.

Then again I never imagined I’d find myself using a bike except to cycle round larger barracks or for slow, flat rides to a pub. Now who knows, my middle-aged -crisis could extend to all sorts of things now I’ve got sober & am building fitness. Already own a convertible, don’t know how to ride a motorcycle, & would look ridiculous in cowboy boots & ponytail!

And to add, just had really long conversation by text, phone & FaceTime with MasterPlume. Things could just be looking up...
Had further text conversations with MasterPlume over past few days. In morning, so presume MrsPlume not out of her scratcher...

I'm only joking. Cycling's a great way to exercise as long as you don't get smashed by a car or fall off.
I’ve had, so far, one* crash. This was, strangely enough, heading to a meeting. At a terrifying 3mph as I turned left on a traffic light change in filthy weather my back wheel hit a slick manhole cover & I collapsed in a pile of limbs & bike like a sort of two-wheeled Borg.

Thankfully nothing but pride damaged, although I did lose a lens from one of my gear shift indicators. What was better was I was outside a pub & picked up by drunken revellers who had a good laugh about how they wouldn’t ride pissed...

*A “yet” that is inevitable for a cyclist, but that I hope not to repeat on a regular basis.

I’ve had, so far, one* crash. This was, strangely enough, heading to a meeting. At a terrifying 3mph as I turned left on a traffic light change in filthy weather my back wheel hit a slick manhole cover & I collapsed in a pile of limbs & bike like a sort of two-wheeled Borg.

Thankfully nothing but pride damaged, although I did lose a lens from one of my gear shift indicators. What was better was I was outside a pub & picked up by drunken revellers who had a good laugh about how they wouldn’t ride pissed...

*A “yet” that is inevitable for a cyclist, but that I hope not to repeat on a regular basis.
I've had 4 crashes (excluding mountain biking), 3 of which were definitely my fault for riding in the dark / while pissed / both. The most recent one was a cold but not snowy morning, riding my usual route into work and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. Turned out I'd gone over a patch of black ice as I was turning the corner.

Providing you assume all drivers are trying to kill you cycling on roads is fairly safe in my experience.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
I've had 4 crashes (excluding mountain biking), 3 of which were definitely my fault for riding in the dark / while pissed / both. The most recent one was a cold but not snowy morning, riding my usual route into work and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. Turned out I'd gone over a patch of black ice as I was turning the corner.

Providing you assume all drivers are trying to kill you cycling on roads is fairly safe in my experience.

Worst crash for me, impaling my gonads on the crossbar trying to ride home from the NATO Mess in Sennelager on a Friday night. Cue a very embarrassed visit to the SMO, first appointment Monday AM, to have them checked. Poor bloke: the downside of the hypocratic oath. Warsteiner may have been involved.

Halloumikid

Worst crash for me, impaling my gonads on the crossbar trying to ride home from the NATO Mess in Sennelager on a Friday night. Cue a very embarrassed visit to the SMO, first appointment Monday AM, to have them checked. Poor bloke: the downside of the hypocratic oath. Warsteiner may have been involved.

Halloumikid
Apparently I cycled out of Celle Camp, blind drunk, no shoes/boots on, straight across the main road without looking left or right.

Someone gave chase to try and catch me, for my own safety, but couldn't.

One of the guard told me about it the next day.

Apparently I cycled out of Celle Camp, blind drunk, no shoes/boots on, straight across the main road without looking left or right.

Someone gave chase to try and catch me, for my own safety, but couldn't.

One of the guard told me about it the next day.
Maybe you had an encounter you don't remember?

"Entschuldigung, Offizier. Ich wurde von Außerirdischen entführt. Sie zwangen mich zu trinken und stahlen meine Socken."

"weg und scheiß Mann"

I've spent the last month drinking and eating what I feel like and I've become a nasty bloated fat bastard. I saw some fat ****** in the adjacent building, paused to criticise him and realised it was me in the windows.

No drinking during the working week seems sensible. I'm honestly not even sure why I drink apart from boredom, when I'm out in the middle of nowhere I don't even think about it.

Nick Dipples

War Hero
(this is not medical advice!)
If you know anyone visiting the US you could ask them to pick up some melatonin tablets for you. Weirdly they sell them in health shops, it's a prescription drug here but pretty safe as far as sleeping drugs go. It's the hormone your brain makes at the end of the day to make you go to sleep. It's also a great treatment for jet lag.

The tablets they sell typically contain way too much of it so you need about 1/8 of one.

Probably better for you than 500ml of Scotch.

Nick Dipples

War Hero
No drinking during the working week seems sensible. I'm honestly not even sure why I drink apart from boredom, when I'm out in the middle of nowhere I don't even think about it.
The drinking through boredom thing seems really common. I've found alcohol free beers excellent for dealing with it, if you feel you want a beer then just grab an Alkoholfrei out of the fridge and it satisfies 90% of the urge but with no real downside.

I've ended up with a load of reasonably expensive wine in the cellar that I would normally be getting through at a steady rate, it's just sitting there untouched now. Maybe have a nice bottle once over the weekend, it's a treat and I enjoy it more now.

Latest Threads