Going dry

The Sunday Times has another piece on non-alcoholic drinks - people seemed to be pleased when I posted the previous one:

Trending: five non-alcoholic spirits for teetotallers

Summer is almost here: barbecues are out, carousels are up and deckchairs have begun inching their way into our gardens. But as Brits cautiously welcome in the new season, you’ll notice there’s something different about the contents of the drinks bars around the country: adults are turning their backs on booze. The latest consumer research has found that alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped by 10% over the past 30 years, and is expected to fall further. So why are there fewer of us drinking than ever?

“People are becoming more and more health-conscious,” says Tatiana Mercer, co-creator of the plant-based non-alcoholic drink Three Spirit. “We’re increasingly aware of the impact drinking has on our wellbeing and we’re looking to tweak our lifestyles for the better as a result.” It’s not just the wellness wave fuelling the rise of teetotallers: “For younger generations, having fun is all about immersive experiences. Alcohol might be a part of that, but it doesn’t have to be.”

For decades, if you weren’t drinking, the tedious options were water, soft drinks or the juvenile “mocktail” menu. But the burgeoning number of teetotallers is changing all that, says Claire Warner, of the first non-alcoholic aperitif collection, Æcorn Aperitifs. “Mocktails are the enemy of alcoholic drinks. Who wants to endure the embarrassment of being served something frothy and pink just because they’re not drinking alcohol? We’re seeing a rise in sophisticated, complex options that are drinks in their own right.”

When the first alcohol-free premium spirits, such as Seedlip, made their debut, they came with a hefty price tag, but with a surge in demand even the supermarket giants are taking notice. Sainsbury’s now stocks a range of alcohol-free beverages, including the botanical-infused Everleaf, while Asda sells Ceder’s, a non-alcoholic version of gin. Drinking establishments including London’s Ace Hotel and Redemption Bar are taking notice too, crafting low-to-no-alcohol cocktail collections. “Finally, there’s a whole menu of drinks for when you’re not drinking,” Warner says. Good times and a clear head? How refreshing.

Five to try

Æcorn Aperitifs Dry, £20 for 500ml
aecornaperitifs.com
With floral notes, this is similar to a dry vermouth. Enjoy as a spritz

Three Spirit, £27 for 500ml
harveynichols.com

Notes of burnt apple and watermelon. Perfect chilled with ginger ale

Monte Rosso, £2.55 for 275ml
waitrose.com
A non-alcoholic Aperol-style spritz. Serve with ice and an orange slice

Caleño, £24 for 700ml
sainsburys.co.uk

A sweet, zesty gin-inspired spirit with juniper flavours

Everleaf, £18 for 500ml
sainsburys.co.uk
A bittersweet aperitif best sipped over ice or in a negroni-style cocktail

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The Sunday Times has another piece on non-alcoholic drinks - people seemed to be pleased when I posted the previous one:

Trending: five non-alcoholic spirits for teetotallers

Summer is almost here: barbecues are out, carousels are up and deckchairs have begun inching their way into our gardens. But as Brits cautiously welcome in the new season, you’ll notice there’s something different about the contents of the drinks bars around the country: adults are turning their backs on booze. The latest consumer research has found that alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped by 10% over the past 30 years, and is expected to fall further. So why are there fewer of us drinking than ever?

“People are becoming more and more health-conscious,” says Tatiana Mercer, co-creator of the plant-based non-alcoholic drink Three Spirit. “We’re increasingly aware of the impact drinking has on our wellbeing and we’re looking to tweak our lifestyles for the better as a result.” It’s not just the wellness wave fuelling the rise of teetotallers: “For younger generations, having fun is all about immersive experiences. Alcohol might be a part of that, but it doesn’t have to be.”

For decades, if you weren’t drinking, the tedious options were water, soft drinks or the juvenile “mocktail” menu. But the burgeoning number of teetotallers is changing all that, says Claire Warner, of the first non-alcoholic aperitif collection, Æcorn Aperitifs. “Mocktails are the enemy of alcoholic drinks. Who wants to endure the embarrassment of being served something frothy and pink just because they’re not drinking alcohol? We’re seeing a rise in sophisticated, complex options that are drinks in their own right.”

When the first alcohol-free premium spirits, such as Seedlip, made their debut, they came with a hefty price tag, but with a surge in demand even the supermarket giants are taking notice. Sainsbury’s now stocks a range of alcohol-free beverages, including the botanical-infused Everleaf, while Asda sells Ceder’s, a non-alcoholic version of gin. Drinking establishments including London’s Ace Hotel and Redemption Bar are taking notice too, crafting low-to-no-alcohol cocktail collections. “Finally, there’s a whole menu of drinks for when you’re not drinking,” Warner says. Good times and a clear head? How refreshing.

Five to try

Æcorn Aperitifs Dry, £20 for 500ml
aecornaperitifs.com
With floral notes, this is similar to a dry vermouth. Enjoy as a spritz

Three Spirit, £27 for 500ml
harveynichols.com
Notes of burnt apple and watermelon. Perfect chilled with ginger ale

Monte Rosso, £2.55 for 275ml
waitrose.com
A non-alcoholic Aperol-style spritz. Serve with ice and an orange slice

Caleño, £24 for 700ml
sainsburys.co.uk
A sweet, zesty gin-inspired spirit with juniper flavours

Everleaf, £18 for 500ml
sainsburys.co.uk
A bittersweet aperitif best sipped over ice or in a negroni-style cocktail
Bloody hell looking at those prices I’ll stick to Aldi diet lemonade with a splash of cranberry thank you.

You lucky person bet the Ministry of State Security are listening in to you!
Good luck and don't forget the micro film.......................................oh hang on this might not help!
I’m rocking the Nord VPN for anything vaguely dubious to culturally delicate eyes/ears. We have a looming securitisation on the job due to location so packing all superfluous electronics for a backload home rather than submitting for a fecking licence for every bit of kit with a camera

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sat on Chinese internet struggling to even open arrse while the hired hands squat streaming squawky HD shit on their Huawei under my window

Reason I ask is just read "the unexpected joy of being sober, Catherine Gray" and it quotes neurological studies that suggest your brain recovers and rebuilds neural pathways after about 12 months
I haven’t bloody noticed anything. I must have a lot of fecking rebuilding to do.

Oggay, let's try this:

lowalc.jpg

Seeing as it's the first Saturday in weeks where I've not been required to drive, I've already sunk a bottle of proper Malbec, so let's see how this compares. Posted as I do the deed...

Nose is somewhat faint but with discernible cherry notes.

And it tastes like over diluted Ribena with a hint of raspberry.

Not shoite but disappointing, though not exactly expensive at £2.75 a bottle. Probably OK to offer someone who is determined to drink wine but avoid alcohol & who knows the score.

I can't see me buying any more. =|

Brewdog Punk IPA AF is another winner! It's available from Sainsburys.

Thought I might bung in another update. Passed ten months sober the other week, which was great; did my second meeting chair; as a result of that chairing again Sunday coming; and my sponsee really, really getting it.

Sadly brother-in-law after nine weeks in hospital & enforced drying out got on it again the day he was discharged. He had a psychotic interlude which caused Police to be called & his return to hospital but he was then discharged again. Silly sod sits there with a big pile of dead wineboxes under the hospital bed that's been installed in his dining room & says he's not been drinking.

Had a great example of how the programme works. MasterPlume's birthday was Father's Day so I sent him a message by text. This was undeliverable, presumably because, as feared, my number blocked & email unanswered. In relatively similar circumstances last year I went on the binge which cost me my job, & which was I hope my final rock bottom.

This time I did an immediate spot-check inventory, discussed with my sponsor, then shared about it in a meeting. End result no desire to drink & a good long ride on bike after a sixty-miler the previous day. This sobriety lark is OK, really...

Thought I might bung in another update. Passed ten months sober the other week, which was great; did my second meeting chair; as a result of that chairing again Sunday coming; and my sponsee really, really getting it.

Sadly brother-in-law after nine weeks in hospital & enforced drying out got on it again the day he was discharged. He had a psychotic interlude which caused Police to be called & his return to hospital but he was then discharged again. Silly sod sits there with a big pile of dead wineboxes under the hospital bed that's been installed in his dining room & says he's not been drinking.

Had a great example of how the programme works. MasterPlume's birthday was Father's Day so I sent him a message by text. This was undeliverable, presumably because, as feared, my number blocked & email unanswered. In relatively similar circumstances last year I went on the binge which cost me my job, & which was I hope my final rock bottom.

This time I did an immediate spot-check inventory, discussed with my sponsor, then shared about it in a meeting. End result no desire to drink & a good long ride on bike after a sixty-miler the previous day. This sobriety lark is OK, really...
You are inspiring. Keep doing the right thing, and keep us informed.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Good man, it’s this cycling thing I find troubling .

And some of us, unfortunately, have seen the pictures....
Wind it in or I’ll post the ones in the really tight & revealing kit ;)

5FC8B668-DF0B-4422-A44E-9865CC2C0DF5.jpeg

Oh, & the jersey is worn with a great deal of irony. The back’s great, there’s a dirty great bottle printed coming out of each of the side pockets...

This is my seventh non-smoking year, and although I have quite possibly spent more than my old portico mantel clock is worth, I have finally got it repaired. I believe I can afford it with what I have saved by not smoking these last seven years.

This is my seventh non-smoking year, and although I have quite possibly spent more than my old portico mantel clock is worth, I have finally got it repaired. I believe I can afford it with what I have saved by not smoking these last seven years.
Back in 2009, I was a 50+ a day smoker.
Since 06/02/09 I've bought another house, some rather fine rifles & shotguns & an ever growing cellar of fine wines*.
Plus I ent ded, which is what I would have been if I'd not stopped the addiction.

*I keep looking at them & lusting but not yet drinking...

My Heineken zero went flat at the sight of that!