Going Cold Turkey - internet!

mrdude

War Hero
As Vermin Media have decided to increase my BB bill again - I've decided to cancel it. I did the same thing about 3 years ago, where I didn't have any internet for about a month or so. Now to be honest - when I never had it before, I did a lot more stuff in my house, and I visited people more & generally was more sociable & didn't feel that I was wasting my life away.
I probably will miss it for a few days - until I get into a routine, and will find that for things like Banking, checking bills/emails will be a bit of a pain as I'll need to visit family or friends and take my laptop/tablet etc with me and use their internet for that kind of thing.

Now my question for forum members is, do you think by having the internet - you waste a lot of time you could have spent with your friends/family or doing something more sociable? and if you are a bit of an internet junkie - did you find that when you don't have internet you miss it and have 'internet withdraw' symptoms?

I guess to me the internet is much like a drug and you can become an addict to it - time to switch off and go cold turkey! (in 4 weeks time when my BB ends).

Can you imagine the snowflake meltdown if they went a day without internet access, it would make the Brexit meltdowns look like a storm in a teacup

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Some days it is an absolute waste of time, other days it probably prevents a homicide or two. The thought of having to actually go to the bank or shop inside a Walmart for more than 30 mins is terrifying.

My phone also saves me, from the kids tv. I can only watch so many of their shows before I have had it.

Toppet

Old-Salt
Can you imagine the snowflake meltdown if they went a day without internet access, it would make the Brexit meltdowns look like a storm in a teacup
That's quite a claim from someone who has averaged more than 12 posts a day on here since joining.

mrdude

War Hero
One of these:

Get a sim from a mobile company and buy what you need.
You don't need one of those - not with an Android Phone, you can just set your phone up as a wireless access point. Then connect straight to the phone. Or you can set your router to connect to the phone and the rest of your devices connect to the router as normal.

However, the aim is to get away from the internet for a while - Vermin have deals for new customers - £26 a month for 100 meg broadband + phone line. This only applies to new customers though - so cancelled the BB and will join a month later and become a new customer. The best bet is to wait until Xmas time though - In Jan you get some crazy deals/free install etc. My bet is that when 5G is the norm, Vermin and the others will be forced to cut their prices to become competitive. Also 5G is faster than anything going just now - so once it's rolled out properly with wide UK coverage, BB deals will become good or these phone line/Cable providers will go the way of the Dodo.

You don't need one of those - not with an Android Phone, you can just set your phone up as a wireless access point. Then connect straight to the phone. Or you can set your router to connect to the phone and the rest of your devices connect to the router as normal.

However, the aim is to get away from the internet for a while - Vermin have deals for new customers - £26 a month for 100 meg broadband + phone line. This only applies to new customers though - so cancelled the BB and will join a month later and become a new customer. The best bet is to wait until Xmas time though - In Jan you get some crazy deals/free install etc. My bet is that when 5G is the norm, Vermin and the others will be forced to cut their prices to become competitive. Also 5G is faster than anything going just now - so once it's rolled out properly with wide UK coverage, BB deals will become good or these phone line/Cable providers will go the way of the Dodo.
If you've got an Android phone, why TF are you bludging off rellys for "Banking, checking bills/emails" with your laptop?

Last edited:

UpInThemGuts

On ROPS
On ROPs
At least he's getting off his arse and doing something he likes though - rather than wasting away on a couch with fook all to talk about. Probably he's a lot fitter than you as well.....just saying!
bet you both go together..double doss bag ...just saying !

mrdude

War Hero
bet you both go together..double doss bag ...just saying !
Say's a person who's avatar consists of pair of tights on their head - so they can sniff the gusset! My bet is you stole them from a fat neighbors washing line and that avatar picture is a screen grab from your webcam during a daily visit to xhamster live cams....

Why not use the neighbours' WiFi? Just install aircrack, EtherApe and a couple more tools and you're good to go.

UpInThemGuts

On ROPS
On ROPs
Say's a person who's avatar consists of pair of tights on their head - so they can sniff the gusset! My bet is you stole them from a fat neighbors washing line and that avatar picture is a screen grab from your webcam during a daily visit to xhamster live cams....
Your wife

16358491607_73d16c1502_b.jpg

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I bought a new (to me. 18 plate) car last month. It's a quantum leap from the old 54 plate. Sat in driver's seat looking at centre console. Asked, if there's a WiFi hub (it seems to be fitted for but not with), who/how are the data paid for?

He went and asked. Apparently at point of purchase, a package is bought and data are paid ad infinitum.

As much as I would love to ditch the internet,we both work from home most days and it is essential we are in touch with the outside world.