Gods squad(ies)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by datumhead, Mar 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who wants to get out of bed early on a Sunday morning after a night on the lash and a kebab
  2. Mainly because its either frowned upon to decalre yourself agnostic or athiest, or because most people just put down what they were christened to without being practicing christians
  3. From the link:

Have a look at your own I.D. Disc. What does it declare your religion to be?

I don't find the statistic 90% to be in any way surprising - I suspect it came from the same source as that quoted in Soldier Magazine last year(i.e. RACHD).

Whether the fact that most people in the Armed Forces have CofE on their I.D. disk equates with those same servicemen and women declaring themselves as 'having a faith' is questionable.

I expect the vast majority are largely apathetic about their 'faith'.

4. When did church stop being compulsory???

When did weekends off become the norm?
  5. I have rather bad memories of religion in the army. The only reason that I was classified as CofE was because somebody couldn't spell Presbyterian (I hope I can) and I wasn't Catholic.

The only reason I stayed CofE was to not upset the applecart and being bored in church was preferrable to standing outside the church for the duration of the service. This was particularly highlifghted when I ended up in Colly.

Anybody can have a faith or a belief but it was the Army's insistence on congregating everybody in the one building to celebrate this faith (or lack of) that got up my nose.
  6. I remember once a sprog was trying to get out of going to Church Parade by expaining to his Section Corporal that he was an Athiest. To which the reply came flying back, "Well, I'm fcuking Jewish and I've got to go". Arguement was then over.
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You can get a glass of wine and something to eat before the pubs open!
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A point brought out on certain briefings before operating in a muslim ("The Religion of Peace"...) countries explained it to me. If you are captured and are seen to be a Christian (one of the 'people of the book') you may get treated slightly less harshly than if you are an agnostic, Bhuddist, Hindu, atheist, Shintoist, etc. Made it a bit of a no-brainer for me, I'm afraid!

Having seen the contempt in which the Iraqis hold the Japanese (but not their money of course), I can vouch for this being the case. It was explained to me by some locals that not only are the Japanese 'tree-worrshippers', but they eat funny food and look funny. This from Arabs - but then again they were building cities there when we and the Japanese were running around in furry loincloths (The place has gone downhill ever since, mind you).

And to be fair, I don't have a lot of time for the Japanese as a group either :)
  9. Somebody obviously didn't come out well in the pictures.

10. Think the minister might get upset if I started banging the monster pulled from the previous night on the alter though :thumleft:
  11. I seriously think you should reconsider your Saturday night itinerary as well.

Probably best to steer well clear of alters.
  12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Only if your taking up the space where he normally bangs the choir boys.
  13. This is very true. A bit of devil dodging won't do you any harm before deploying to the land of the prophet!!! They'll still cut your head off mind!
  14. It was explained to us that one did have to attend church (the building) but one did not have to attend the service, which led to some troops being exceedingly p1ssed off having had to stand to attention outside throughout the service.
    Most opted for the more comfortable option.