Gods squad(ies)

#3
datumhead said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/content/articles/2007/03/05/faith_in_the_forces_feature.shtml

Interesting article. Very surprised to see such a high % given the general downturn in (non Islamic) religious beliefs or maybe thats just churchgoing?

Your thought's?
Mainly because its either frowned upon to decalre yourself agnostic or athiest, or because most people just put down what they were christened to without being practicing christians
 
#4
From the link:

90% of men and women serving in the armed forces declare themselves as having a faith.
Have a look at your own I.D. Disc. What does it declare your religion to be?

I don't find the statistic 90% to be in any way surprising - I suspect it came from the same source as that quoted in Soldier Magazine last year(i.e. RACHD).

Whether the fact that most people in the Armed Forces have CofE on their I.D. disk equates with those same servicemen and women declaring themselves as 'having a faith' is questionable.

I expect the vast majority are largely apathetic about their 'faith'.

Pay_Mistri
 
#6
I have rather bad memories of religion in the army. The only reason that I was classified as CofE was because somebody couldn't spell Presbyterian (I hope I can) and I wasn't Catholic.

The only reason I stayed CofE was to not upset the applecart and being bored in church was preferrable to standing outside the church for the duration of the service. This was particularly highlifghted when I ended up in Colly.

Anybody can have a faith or a belief but it was the Army's insistence on congregating everybody in the one building to celebrate this faith (or lack of) that got up my nose.
 
#7
mistersoft said:
Anybody can have a faith or a belief but it was the Army's insistence on congregating everybody in the one building to celebrate this faith (or lack of) that got up my nose.
I remember once a sprog was trying to get out of going to Church Parade by expaining to his Section Corporal that he was an Athiest. To which the reply came flying back, "Well, I'm fcuking Jewish and I've got to go". Arguement was then over.
 

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
brettarider said:
Who wants to get out of bed early on a Sunday morning after a night on the lash and a kebab
You can get a glass of wine and something to eat before the pubs open!
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#9
A point brought out on certain briefings before operating in a muslim ("The Religion of Peace"...) countries explained it to me. If you are captured and are seen to be a Christian (one of the 'people of the book') you may get treated slightly less harshly than if you are an agnostic, Bhuddist, Hindu, atheist, Shintoist, etc. Made it a bit of a no-brainer for me, I'm afraid!

Having seen the contempt in which the Iraqis hold the Japanese (but not their money of course), I can vouch for this being the case. It was explained to me by some locals that not only are the Japanese 'tree-worrshippers', but they eat funny food and look funny. This from Arabs - but then again they were building cities there when we and the Japanese were running around in furry loincloths (The place has gone downhill ever since, mind you).

And to be fair, I don't have a lot of time for the Japanese as a group either :)
 
#10
OldSnowy said:
And to be fair, I don't have a lot of time for the Japanese as a group either :)
Somebody obviously didn't come out well in the pictures.
 
#11
B_AND_T said:
brettarider said:
Who wants to get out of bed early on a Sunday morning after a night on the lash and a kebab
You can get a glass of wine and something to eat before the pubs open!

Think the minister might get upset if I started banging the monster pulled from the previous night on the alter though :thumleft:
 
#12
I seriously think you should reconsider your Saturday night itinerary as well.

Probably best to steer well clear of alters.
 

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
brettarider said:
B_AND_T said:
brettarider said:
Who wants to get out of bed early on a Sunday morning after a night on the lash and a kebab
You can get a glass of wine and something to eat before the pubs open!

Think the minister might get upset if I started banging the monster pulled from the previous night on the alter though :thumleft:
Only if your taking up the space where he normally bangs the choir boys.
 
#14
OldSnowy said:
A point brought out on certain briefings before operating in a muslim ("The Religion of Peace"...) countries explained it to me. If you are captured and are seen to be a Christian (one of the 'people of the book') you may get treated slightly less harshly than if you are an agnostic, Bhuddist, Hindu, atheist, Shintoist, etc. Made it a bit of a no-brainer for me, I'm afraid!

Having seen the contempt in which the Iraqis hold the Japanese (but not their money of course), I can vouch for this being the case. It was explained to me by some locals that not only are the Japanese 'tree-worrshippers', but they eat funny food and look funny. This from Arabs - but then again they were building cities there when we and the Japanese were running around in furry loincloths (The place has gone downhill ever since, mind you).

And to be fair, I don't have a lot of time for the Japanese as a group either :)
This is very true. A bit of devil dodging won't do you any harm before deploying to the land of the prophet!!! They'll still cut your head off mind!
 
#15
Bad_Crow said:
When did church stop being compulsory???
It was explained to us that one did have to attend church (the building) but one did not have to attend the service, which led to some troops being exceedingly p1ssed off having had to stand to attention outside throughout the service.
Most opted for the more comfortable option.
 
#16
Which was why the padre at Colly had a captive audience in more ways than one.

He thought we were happy, we were just happy we weren't outside.

Still got up my nose though, particularly after the fifth chorus of 'The Happy Wanderer'. As if we had any chance of wandering, happy or otherwise.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
OldSnowy said:
A point brought out on certain briefings before operating in a muslim ("The Religion of Peace"...) countries explained it to me. If you are captured and are seen to be a Christian (one of the 'people of the book') you may get treated slightly less harshly than if you are an agnostic, Bhuddist, Hindu, atheist, Shintoist, etc. Made it a bit of a no-brainer for me, I'm afraid!
Yeah I recall being told a similar thing during my pre-Iraq training. Better to say that you believe in something than nothing, and better yet if that something makes you a child of Abraham (or of course Avraham/Ibrahim).

When I joined up I was told I could put myself down as an Atheist (I don't think the option existed, though Agnostic did), so I plonked for the faith I was 'born into'. Having been involved in recruitment I've seen a lot of shrugged shoulders when the What Religion Are You line comes up, along with a vague "Dunno. Christion I s'pose". They were invariably marked as CofE.
 
#18
How long before it's assumed they're all Catholics? They'll soon outnumber those regularly attending CofE gigs due to migrants from countries like Poland.

Roman Catholicism is set to become the dominant religion in Britain for the first time since the Reformation because of massive migration from Catholic countries across the world.

Catholic parishes will swell by hundreds of thousands over the next few years after managing years of decline, according to a new report, as both legal and illegal migrants enter the country.

It says that the influx of migrants could be the Catholic community’s “greatest threat” or its “greatest opportunity”.
Catholics set to pass Anglicans as leading UK church
 
#19
There was a REME guy I served with who was (and probably still is) Iranian and a Muslim. Or at least he said he was a Muslim especially as he took all the Muslim religious holidays that that he could think of and the rest he just made up.

He was later sussed and had to provide documentary evidence of the official holidays. Maybe not a test of faith but he did very cleverly use it to his advantage.
 
#20
I had "ND" on my I.D. discs as I declared myself a non-denominational christian when asked. Can you still do that, or is this one of the first signs that I'm turning into an old sweat? "Back in my day........."
 

Top