Gods no - Sharkey Ward has got his own blog!

Well thats just ruined my pleasant bank holiday. I discovered this gem of a website, which is where one can hear the one true voice preach about how evil the RAF is.

Do you think someone should tell him that before writing angry letters to the Foreign Secretary complaining about 'RAF Transport Command', its worth checking whether such an organisation still exists? For the record it was scrapped in 1967, some 45 years ago...

Sharkey's World

Ignore him - he's clearly mad (and extraordinarily arrogant).

Ignore him - he's clearly mad (and extraordinarily arrogant).
Yes, but he hates the RAF with a passion, so he does have some redeeming qualities. ;-)

M

Mr_Tigger

The RAF isn't evil. An evil organisation would be displeased by a casualty free airstrike. I think he means 'gay'. The RAF is gay.

Schaden

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
We could have a drinking game when he mentions "harrier" we all collectively consume a pint!

Schaden

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
If you can't diss people on the internet then one has to ask what is the point of it all surely?

"Surely bad form for one blogger to 'diss' another? "

I've been 'dissing' sharkey and his extremely odd, and hugely predjudiced views for years here - but I wouldnt 'diss' him on my blog.

PS - since when did we start talking 'ghetto'?

Well thats just ruined my pleasant bank holiday. I discovered this gem of a website, which is where one can hear the one true voice preach about how evil the RAF is.

Do you think someone should tell him that before writing angry letters to the Foreign Secretary complaining about 'RAF Transport Command', its worth checking whether such an organisation still exists? For the record it was scrapped in 1967, some 45 years ago...

Sharkey's World
Is this Blog any better ?
Thin Pinstriped Line

Dear, oh dear, oh dear!! He's really got an itch that needs scratching. Not surprised at his vitriol for all things light blue. He had a light blue hate-on when 892 were at Leuchars with their tooms, so any impression that his anti-RAF spleen venting started with the Falklands is somewhat mis-leading.

Philistines. Sharkey is the one true Messiah. You will all burn in HELLLL! Or at least in the 40 year old fuselage of a clapped out Tristar.

If it do please you all, may I add a little ditty I put in the "Falklands Sonnets" thread regarding the excellent Cdr Ward. Tis naught but the ramblings of an old poet, but I do hope 'twill please thee greatly.

There once was a pilot called Sharkey
Got 3 kills in the Op Corporate malarkey
But in 2010 the Crabs they did say
"We're taking our Harriers away"
And now the old codger's all narky

Eye thang yew, I'm here all week..............

I think my genuine worry (as someone who adores the RN, and wants to see it at the heart of defence) is that some of the writing on display, if truly sent to Ministers, is the same calibre as you'd expect from the green ink 'MOD anally probed me with UFO' brigade.
Its ever harder to make a truly credible case for naval aviation when this sort of thing, which was also in the PTT is out there. Let me be clear, I adore naval aviation, I love the idea of carriers, I want to see HMS 'YO MAMMA IS SO FAT I WANT TO BURN YOUR COUNTRY DOWN' steaming off the coast of a nation and delivering righteous smiting.

BUT, this needs to be set out in an intelligent, well argued manner which puts the place of the RN in a context where its clear that people will be convinced of the need to project power. Rambling diatribes about how evil the RAF is and selective quoting ensure that the letter will be given a stock response of 'thank your for your letter' and its being shredded. I strongly suspect that Sharkey is on the verge of being considered 'vexatious' which means the MOD (and wider HMG) is likely to no longer listen, or acknowledge his letters.

Is this really a result for the naval aviation cause?

Regardless of whether or not Sharkey is a bit "hatstand" I am asking myself is there really anything fundementally wrong with disliking the RAF?
No, it is the considered position of the gentleman scholar.

I must have read about 5,000 words of blog in my life with no apparent ill effects - I'm sure that Sharkey is ranting into the abyss.