Godley VC sells for £276K

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I originally thought of Ashcroft, but he's not normally shy in coming forward on occasions like this.

Yes more than likely ashcroft .It is just a shame this happens when the should be lodged in there respective museams (i know there wiil be a copy in the museam but that is not the same

I believe it will depend on the notoriety/publicity. I have heard a figure of £1 million.
It's a pity the medal is worth more than the man - for some, at least.

There's no real value in a piece of metal. It's just sentimental bullshit. Selling it doesn't demean or dishonour the actions of the ballsy ****** who won it.

If I was in possession of a VC and knew I could swap it for a massive house in the countryside and the chance to give my kids a great education, for example, I wouldn't think twice.

There's no real value in a piece of metal. It's just sentimental bullshit. Selling it doesn't demean or dishonour the actions of the ballsy ****** who won it.

If I was in possession of a VC and knew I could swap it for a massive house in the countryside and the chance to give my kids a great education, for example, I wouldn't think twice.
Well said.

I'd do exactly the same, my family's welfare would always take priority.

The history of the action behind the award will always be on record anyway so it takes nothing from the person it was originally awarded to.

There was a TV program not so long ago that interviewed some VC winners. There was an Aussie and a Scot, can't remember their names, sorry, but they both said that it was a pain in the arse to have one it.
Jeremy Clarkson did a programme on Maj Robert Cain, South Staffords in Arnhem. He said that none of his siblings and extended family realised that he was a recipient of the VC. When he died, family cleared out his second hand car lot, safe. They found his medal, and also found out that he was extremely embarrassed by the medal. He never wore it and kept it out of sight!

Jeremy Clarkson did a programme on Maj Robert Cain, South Staffords in Arnhem. He said that none of his siblings and extended family realised that he was a recipient of the VC. When he died, family cleared out his second hand car lot, safe. They found his medal, and also found out that he was extremely embarrassed by the medal. He never wore it and kept it out of sight!
He was his Father in Law,
From Wiki and the programme
Frances Cain was unaware of her father's VC until after he died because, according to Clarkson, "he'd never thought to mention it

He was his Father in Law,
From Wiki and the programme
Frances Cain was unaware of her father's VC until after he died because, according to Clarkson, "he'd never thought to mention it
There is a special place in Heaven for people like that*. Would that the current generation of 'Hero' (e.g. polyester wearing oikball ****) be just 10% of such a man.

*Probably in a small corner that no-one cares about because they are far to reticent and polite to whine and demand a nice fluffy cloud.