God Save the Queen

Lipo

War Hero
#1
I've been sent a PM by a MOD indicating that my posts have been "inane and provocative" and to cease and desist lest I be removed from this site.

I am extremely disappointed. This is rank hypocrisy of the type emitted by the likes of Ken Livingstone and George Galloway.

Perhaps I should have known better than to expect tolerance of a diversity of views, even if it comes from an earnest friend across the pond. I don't want to believe it.

I take no pleasure in pointing out that some of you are so sensitive (or simply intolerant) as to be unable to confront an opinion you don't like and in turn, respond with incivility.

In any case, thanks again, UK for being our ally and standing with my country in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Your loyal friend,

Lipo
 
#2
Er, thanks Lipo. Now go and read again (in parallel with the texts of some of your postings) and inwardly digest. It'll all become clear . . .
 
#5
Lipo, you have certainly caused a stir here. As an American, I have to wonder what your goals were and am still incredibly confused.
 

Lipo

War Hero
#7
Lipo, you have certainly caused a stir here. As an American, I have to wonder what your goals were and am still incredibly confused.
I love the English.

I appreciate my Anglo-Saxon heritage - the most liberal in the world. From the language I speak to the thoughts in my head. These are attributable in very large measure to my Anglo-Saxon heritage. Great Britain is its epicenter. London really IS the capital of the world.

I came here to express solidarity. To share my frustration and hopes. To share my views and perhaps, to learn something from my friends.
 
#8
Lipo said:
I love the English.

I appreciate my Anglo-Saxon heritage - the most liberal in the world. From the language I speak to the thoughts in my head. These are attributable in very large measure to my Anglo-Saxon heritage. Great Britain is its epicenter. London really IS the capital of the world.

I came here to express solitarity. To share my frustration and hopes. To share my views and perhaps, to learn something from my friends.
And what about the Scots? The paddy's and probably some of the Welsh too? You racist spanner. Now be a nice chap and fusk off!

Oh and learn to spell, it's solidarITY
 
#9
EX_STAB said:
Praetorian said:
EX_STAB said:
God save the Queen - Down with the Republicans!
Ditto!
Soundtrack for the above.
As I was clicking on the link I was trying to calculate the odds on it being "The Sash". Shame on me . . .

Not on YouTube, I suppose? Pity. "Lovely tune", as the clergy of the Irish College in Rome famously observed to the RIF.
 
#10
Stand up and be counted

At this difficult time the second verse, seldom heard, is particularly appropriate:

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
Oh, save us all!
God Save the Queen!
 
#13
EX_STAB said:
Stand up and be counted

At this difficult time the second verse, seldom heard, is particularly appropriate:

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
Oh, save us all!
God Save the Queen!
Amen to that.

" . . . and then with mighty rush
Rebellious Scots to crush . . ."


doesn't play too well north of the Border.

Needless to say, the PC apparatchiks have jiggled the modern hymnbooks.
 
#14
3rd verse - "rebellious Scots" has been out of the hymn books for years - it was missing when I was a lad!
 
#15
caubeen said:
EX_STAB said:
Praetorian said:
EX_STAB said:
God save the Queen - Down with the Republicans!
Ditto!
Soundtrack for the above.
As I was clicking on the link I was trying to calculate the odds on it being "The Sash". Shame on me . . .

Not on YouTube, I suppose? Pity. "Lovely tune", as the clergy of the Irish College in Rome famously observed to the RIF.
I think we Britons all have more in common than that. It's a great shame that the early years of the Union with Ireland didn't work to everyone's benefit because I am certain that a United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland was in the best interests of the popluation of all these islands. There is more that binds us than divides us.
Consider a roving parliament that went every three years from Dublin to Cardiff to Edinburgh to London. Would it not serve us all better than being rump states ruled by unaccountable foreigners on the continent?

The tribal thing in the north is no more dignified than the tribal hate in rwanda-burundi. It's a handful of dickheads (on both sides) preying on the honest and sincere loyalties of their fellows and neighbours to cause trouble for their own ends.

The Pax Brittanica was a better deal for all involved.
 
#17
Lipo said:
I've been sent a PM by a MOD indicating that my posts have been "inane and provocative" and to cease and desist lest I be removed from this site.

I am extremely disappointed. This is rank hypocrisy of the type emitted by the likes of Ken Livingstone and George Galloway.

Perhaps I should have known better than to expect tolerance of a diversity of views, even if it comes from an earnest friend across the pond. I don't want to believe it.

I take no pleasure in pointing out that some of you are so sensitive (or simply intolerant) as to be unable to confront an opinion you don't like and in turn, respond with incivility.

In any case, thanks again, UK for being our ally and standing with my country in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Your loyal friend,

Lipo
If you felt that strongly, why didn't you join up? Too busy serving your country by jacking up house prices? Or are you a spakker?

Just because you like us, it doesn't necessarily follow that we will like you- especially if you're a throbber who doesn't understand that people don't like being patronised.
 
#18
maxi_77 said:
Glesga_short_bloke said:
3rd verse - "rebellious Scots" has been out of the hymn books for years - it was missing when I was a lad!
Even so we have not forgotten.
Rebellious Scots are no more welcome than rebellious Englishmen, Welshmen or Irishmen. Let the true Britons of all Her Majesty's Dominions stand together.

Divided we fall....
 
#19
EX_STAB said:
caubeen said:
EX_STAB said:
Praetorian said:
EX_STAB said:
God save the Queen - Down with the Republicans!
Ditto!
Soundtrack for the above.
As I was clicking on the link I was trying to calculate the odds on it being "The Sash". Shame on me . . .

Not on YouTube, I suppose? Pity. "Lovely tune", as the clergy of the Irish College in Rome famously observed to the RIF.
I think we Britons all have more in common than that. It's a great shame that the early years of the Union with Ireland didn't work to everyone's benefit because I am certain that a United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland was in the best interests of the popluation of all these islands. There is more that binds us than divides us.
Consider a roving parliament that went every three years from Dublin to Cardiff to Edinburgh to London. Would it not serve us all better than being rump states ruled by unaccountable foreigners on the continent?

The tribal thing in the north is no more dignified than the tribal hate in rwanda-burundi. It's a handful of dickheads (on both sides) preying on the honest and sincere loyalties of their fellows and neighbours to cause trouble for their own ends.

The Pax Brittanica was a better deal for all involved.
Sadly, I'm inclined to think the current Irish troubles can be traced back to 1801 and the Union of Ireland with GB. It was corrupt (bought votes, peerages sold etc.), and alien to Irish Catholics and northern presbyterians alike. Grattan's parliament, which preceded it, was arguably the best political setup Ireland ever had, or is likely to have.

When there was no longer a parliament or Court in Dublin from 1801 onwards, the evil of absentee landlordism began, and we all know what that bred.

But your scenario of a setup with a revolving parliament is very appealing, and I'd vote for it. But enmities are far too deep for it ever to happen.
 
#20
caubeen said:
EX_STAB said:
caubeen said:
EX_STAB said:
Praetorian said:
EX_STAB said:
God save the Queen - Down with the Republicans!
Ditto!
Soundtrack for the above.
As I was clicking on the link I was trying to calculate the odds on it being "The Sash". Shame on me . . .

Not on YouTube, I suppose? Pity. "Lovely tune", as the clergy of the Irish College in Rome famously observed to the RIF.
I think we Britons all have more in common than that. It's a great shame that the early years of the Union with Ireland didn't work to everyone's benefit because I am certain that a United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Ireland was in the best interests of the popluation of all these islands. There is more that binds us than divides us.
Consider a roving parliament that went every three years from Dublin to Cardiff to Edinburgh to London. Would it not serve us all better than being rump states ruled by unaccountable foreigners on the continent?

The tribal thing in the north is no more dignified than the tribal hate in rwanda-burundi. It's a handful of dickheads (on both sides) preying on the honest and sincere loyalties of their fellows and neighbours to cause trouble for their own ends.

The Pax Brittanica was a better deal for all involved.
Sadly, I'm inclined to think the current Irish troubles can be traced back to 1801 and the Union of Ireland with GB. It was corrupt (bought votes, peerages sold etc.), and alien to Irish Catholics and northern presbyterians alike. Grattan's parliament, which preceded it, was arguably the best political setup Ireland ever had, or is likely to have.

When there was no longer a parliament or Court in Dublin from 1801 onwards, the evil of absentee landlordism began, and we all know what that bred.

But your scenario of a setup with a revolving parliament is very appealing, and I'd vote for it. But enmities are far too deep for it ever to happen.
History takes forever - there is time for everything if there is the will. Shall we start it here?
 

Latest Threads

Top