God on the phone.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bossyboots, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it seems that not only do they cause our ears to melt, our brains to fry and dogs to grow two heads. But now we're also in danger of being blown clean out of our socks by God when we're in the middle of arranging a hot date, clinching a business deal or simply just passing the gossip :eek:

Perhaps i should switch providers?

Hope the link works..apologies if not.
  2. "The Australian Lightning Protection Standard recommends that metallic objects, including cordless or mobile phones, should not be used (or carried) outdoors during a thunderstorm," Esprit added.

does someone really have that job, if so what does he do all day apart from say "lightnings dangerous mate/sheila".
  3. I wonder where i apply if so? :lol:
  4. It applies to mobile telephones, manpack radios and PRRs too because as they transmit they create an ionised field around the aerial. If the so-called leader of the strike is searching for a path to earth in your area, and there is some scientific discussion as to whether the strike moves down or up, the area of ionisation around the aerial will be its target! Of course, you can choose not to hit the PTT switch on your PRR in the middle of a storm but you don't know whether the mobile is transmitting or not!

You should be safe in a vehicle because the body work will act as a Faraday cage. You will be deaf and a little shocked (sic) if it strikes you but otherwise unharmed.

Lightning loves metalwork of any kind, which is why golfers are particularly vulnerable.

5. Lets get this right: tens of millions of mobile phones, billions of calls per year, one recorded incidence of lightning strike = hours of news coverage/ interviews with "experts"/ shock horror health warning/ tabloid outrage....etc
  6. You know if you read the standard Nokia warranty, in theory at least, you invalidate your warranty by using the phone outdoors?
  7. well what are the chances of that eh?

Fancy, being struck by lightning AND using your mobile phone!!!!

Its a dangerous place out there guys and girls

8. Right lets ask for a higher daily rate or a "lightning strike allowance" :D
  9. I don't know if anyone has seen the Discovery Channel's fun science programme 'Mythbusters'????

They regularly test urban myths for their scientific validity, and the lightning down the phone line was one of the more recent myths they set out to test.

After exhaustive tests using synthetic lightning (in the region of 500kV compared to 500MV natural lightning), they concluded that it was completely plausible that lightning could pass down any form of electrical cabling and pass from electronic equipment to anyone using it. 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
  10. So now after starving to death as we can't eat eggs, sugars, fats and anything else that food manufacturers beg us to buy, we can now only use our mobile phones while wearing wellies in the middle of our living rooms...great :roll:
  11. Well AS. I used to work in a building next to a 600 foot pointy thing. I was on the phone one day when the mast was struck. Yep, current will flow from the plastic phone to an ear. And it's rather painful. I won't be doing that again.

(And aerials don't ionise - they emit non ionising radiation).

12. Aha! so we have metallic golfers now, do we? :)
  13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I found a Spartan to be safe. In1982 15/19H and 9/21L exercised around Bielefeld.Sweltering hot sunny summer afternoon. Black cloud popped over the horizon and spread rapidly across the sky. The heavens opened. The engine compartment fire alarm went off. Everything tripped except the engine. I guess we were lucky, cos it was a petrol engine, but the HT circuit didn't break. I expect a Diesel would continue running anyway. I had the driver pull onto the verge and hit the extinguisher, then exited the vehicle.
    Nothing happened.
    Nothing happened.
    Nothing happened.
    We remounted, powered it up and off we went.
    Linked up with the squadron and got under cover. Section commander's gunner bimbled over and informed me that he'd been looking backward and had seen the lightning strike.
    Tin roofs in South america also make lightning conductors. In 1966 I was taking a shower high in the Andes during a thunderstorm. I suddenly found myself sitting on the tiled bathroom floor, the air rank with ozone. I collected a towel and staggered out to hear my mother tell my father, "That lightning strike was close."
  14. Living in middle earth, the flat variety or the Netherlands as it's usually known, there are real problems with lightning strikes here.

No fried Nokias heard of yet but the railways especally in Friesland, Groningen or Drenthe, where I live have welded points and/or fried overhead lines or signals, all thanks to electrical storms. A rumble of thunder and it's off to pull the power leads and most importantly the PHONELINES as a few years ago, a monitor, a harddisk and a modem got fried, all thanks to an excess of wiggly amps down the phonelines.

Golfers of course are extremely vulnerable especially here as who else during the winter months would use a white ball just after a dusting of snow and in summer those that don't have an umbrella the size of an HLS, are sheltering under the nearest tree. And then they phone the wife, tell her its raining and they'll be a bit late.
  15. Going back to the title of the thread......

If He is really on the phone, who is the provider of His mobile phone?

Would it be O2 , or Virgin...................?