Goats Bollocks

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BanjoBill, Feb 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over the years I've heard of many cultural culinary delights from sheep eyes to monkey brain et et...

Last night sat down to a prog of Bear Grylls... who of course is a complete nutter... there he was in the Sahara with local tribesman - doing his best to not offendi. The local lad proceed to chop a bollock off a goat he was prepping and gave it to BG... BG noshed it - then chundered all over the place. Concerned that he might have offended the local, he then apologised copiously blah blah... sorry....

Got me to wondering, if the local had just offered the goat bollocks to the visiting Englishman due to some misunderstanding that English peeps like chomping the goaties balls.... probably the language barrier being the main obstacle... the tribal chappie thought.. Hey Up (colloquial) the English are here... better feed them the goat's bollocks... wouldn't want to offend them.... one of those misunderstandings that has stood the test of time I think.
    My advice for survival in such circumstances is: Learn the French for... 'No thanks, I'm not that keen on Goats bollocks, and where's Pizza Hut mate?'

2. [​IMG]

Just to help with ID etc.

3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I've eaten some crap in my time - including The Scarey One's offerings - including dried worms in a stew (good protein), bullrushes and assorted snakes. However the one that made me wince was foal. I was in Jaymany - Rhine area - and the locals offered me foal. It was rather tasty, but I had nightmares about telling my kids... that and eating the Bambi that was a roadkill in Surrey. Does anyone else have feelings for doe-eyed cuties? Pls. no comments about Anna Ford in her prime etc.

Attached Files:

4. I worked in Pakistan back in the 70s/80s. I recall one local delicacy which consisted of goats' bollocks + goats' brains. I could never bring myself to try it but I know several Brits braver than me who gave it a go.

5. I had bollocks in Thailand, the steak was off the menu, so I thought i'd be safe ordering meatballs. The other half mother necked them, didn't even question what they were, she's just a dustbin, they gave her a lotus flower and she ate that.
    I had one nibble and decided they really weren't for me and wasn't quite what i'd expected to be meatballs, the heineken was lovely mind.

6. My mate claims to have "watched people eating monkey brains" whilst he was in Thailand. Or somewhere near abouts.

7. They'll eat anything they don't care if it's illegal. I saw some huge turtles that had been caught I was told it was illegal but they argued it was very healthy to eat it.

8. I recall seeing a documentary, many moons ago, that had a fellow employed somewhere in the Scottish highlands/islands, whose sole purpose was to measure the size of goats bollocks, with a big, fuck-off pair of calipers.

Apparently, they enlarge somewhat prior to and during the mating season and fairly accurate weather forecasting can be achieved with the results, ie, when winter's about to kick in etc.

9. Done the brain from cows and sheepsies, with lemon juice, lurvly. Done bbq testicles from different doners, lurvly. Done ikkle birds - sparrow, thrush etc - (tastes of offal), lurvly. Done sheepsies eyes, not so lurvly.

My revelation on the road to obscure grub was when I found out was what mock turtle soup was made of. After that everything worth a try.

10. I've same recipes for cooking brains in my grandma's cookbook if anyone wants them.

11. I've cooked and eaten sheep's balls, but wasn't too impressed, for real squirm factor, I suggest lamb's tongues, they look pretty much like tongues, unlike Ox tongue, which is served in slices.

The other goodie is dog as served in Korea, no messing about, Rin Tin Tin, or Snoopy, minus fur on a plate.

12. Goat balls....I only picked up the courage to suck experimentally on one when offered. Soon spat it out though... not to my taste at all... quick slap on the arse and off the goat trotted, no harm done.

13. At first I thought the balls were meatballs in a sausage type casing biting it proved it wasn't. My food came much later than the other half's mother, she never even questioned or knew what she'd eaten. I think she rammed three skewer fulls down her neck by the time mine had arrived.

14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Honest Taff they didn't mean your's